Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

17 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

I've got a question: of players who have gone to the NFL but are subsequently cut by that team, how many initially sign with a team other than their original CFL squad?  The only one that comes to mind right away is Henoc. I know it's anecdotal but it *feels* like the norm is for players to return to their CFL club.

It is definitely more common to sign with the original club but players sign elsewhere fairly regularly.  Hard to put a number on it without going through on a case-by-case basis.  Rich mentioned Okpalaugo... there was also Quincy McDuffie and Mitchell White last year.

Just now, Atomic said:

Could be though?  3rd overall if I'm understanding the rules correctly.

How would it be third overall? Our waiver priority would be seventh. We can’t bid BC’s first round pick, they just can’t bid one of their own.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

How would it be third overall? Our waiver priority would be seventh. We can’t bid BC’s first round pick, they just can’t bid one of their own.

I thought we could use BC's.

But I'm still a little confused by the wording on 3DN - 

upplemental drafts are held when players miss the deadline for entry into the main CFL draft and there was a number of them last year. Each CFL team has the option to “bid” on the player by forfeiting a selection in the 2019 CFL Draft and the process continues based on waiver priority – the reverse order of the 2018 draft – until the highest choice is identified.

Reverse order would put us 3rd, no?

Just now, Booch said:

But if nobody bids a First prior to us...I doubt Huffer will so we could get him...and still have BC's first rounder next year...most likely a top 4 pick 

Even if Huff did, ours would be better ... it’s the 6 teams above us in waiver priority (5 since you can’t count BC, I guess) that we’d be worried about 

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I thought we could use BC's.

But I'm still a little confused by the wording on 3DN - 

Reverse order would put us 3rd, no?

some how every one is missing the reverse order thing. the worst teams in the league dont get first choice over better teams according to that. Which would be great for us. though Im sure every team in the league is gonna bid a first round pick. Doubt we get him but it would be pretty great if we do. 

20 hours ago, tracker said:

Manziel and Kaerpernick are entirely different cats. Manziel has shown some very troubling personal conduct issues, whereas Kaepernick took a principled stand against systemic violence perpetrated against minorities that have been around even prior to the birth of America. Whether Kaerpernick wants to come to the CFL, or if he can adapt to the Canadian game are still to be determined. So far as I know, he has no desire to come to the CFL, but he was a damned good quarterback.

You mean a principled knee no? Kaerpernick had one good year, made some good dough and made a poor decision to mix politics and sports. Your right 2 different qbs same ego problems.

7 minutes ago, bb1 said:

You mean a principled knee no? Kaerpernick had one good year, made some good dough and made a poor decision to mix politics and sports. Your right 2 different qbs same ego problems.

Or... he acted on something that he believes is important, and accepted that there might be consequences as a result.  Believe it or not, some people actually would rather do what they think is right, even if it costs them personally.  We need more of those people.

5 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Or... he acted on something that he believes is important, and accepted that there might be consequences as a result.  Believe it or not, some people actually would rather do what they think is right, even if it costs them personally.  We need more of those people.

You can't really argue that it wasn't a poor decision for his career.