Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

47 minutes ago, Atomic said:

To expand on the above, Cato was playing on the Richmond Roughriders but was replaced as starter by former Bombers QB Bryan Randall.  Noted domestic abuser Greg Hardy also plays for the Roughriders.

Circa. 2008, 3rd string behind Glenn and Dinwiddie, have to hand it to the guy for sustaining a career in pro football for that long.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Circa. 2008, 3rd string behind Glenn and Dinwiddie, have to hand it to the guy for sustaining a career in pro football for that long.

Didn't he come to camp with a lot of hype but showed up looking like the Michelin man?

26 minutes ago, tracker said:

Didn't he come to camp with a lot of hype but showed up looking like the Michelin man?

I remember in 2009 opening day of training camp the Bombers had a QB who was extremely out of shape but had a gun for an arm.  Can't remember his name anymore.  He was cut the next day.  He had some insanely high wonderlic score.

Randall never really got a good shot here... sewered by Mike Kelly's atrocious offense.  He had some hype as the third string in 2008, and came in and made the team in 2009 as Stefan LeFors' backup.  He made his first appearance in game 3 after LeFors got injured and went 2/5 with a pick. 

The next week was at home against Toronto, and maybe one of the worst offensive performances I've ever seen.  LeFors was pulled after going 7/11 for 30 yards and a pick... Randall came in and went 1/5 with a pick, followed by Richie Williams going 3/10.  Michael Bishop was airlifted in the next week and actually got us the victory.  Randall stuck around until September but never saw the field again... he was released after the Bombers traded for Ricky Santos.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Randall never really got a good shot here... sewered by Mike Kelly's atrocious offense.  He had some hype as the third string in 2008, and came in and made the team in 2009 as Stefan LeFors' backup.  He made his first appearance in game 3 after LeFors got injured and went 2/5 with a pick. 

The next week was at home against Toronto, and maybe one of the worst offensive performances I've ever seen.  LeFors was pulled after going 7/11 for 30 yards and a pick... Randall came in and went 1/5 with a pick, followed by Richie Williams going 3/10.  Michael Bishop was airlifted in the next week and actually got us the victory.  Randall stuck around until September but never saw the field again... he was released after the Bombers traded for Ricky Santos.

I still remember that game, as hard as I have tried to repress the memories. It was the worst performance by at least the collective Bomber quarterbacks (maybe even the whole freaking CFL) that I can recall being exposed to. And traumatized by.

Edited by tracker

44 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Shotgun formation is pop warner football said no coach ever (except Mike Kelly of course).

33 minutes ago, Atomic said:

OK now I might actually have to subscribe to The Athletic.  Would I rather pay to read articles by Friesen, Wiecek, or Penton?  HMMMM TOUGH CALL!

Subscribed to The Athletic over the winter for hockey content.   Highly recommend it.  The research and effort they put into articles is something I haven't seen in newspapers .... ever.  

Never thought I'd actually pay for news, but happy to pay for quality.

Hope they can do the same for CFL coverage this summer.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

and that loss doubly hurt because it was against Count Chocula.  The Argos were brutal that year.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Subscribed to The Athletic over the winter for hockey content.   Highly recommend it.  The research and effort they put into articles is something I haven't seen in newspapers .... ever.  

Never thought I'd actually pay for news, but happy to pay for quality.

Hope they can do the same for CFL coverage this summer.

I avoided it due to their "advanced stats or bust" approach to hockey reporting. Maybe I'm wrong on that but I know their founder is a big stats guy and I find it makes for dry stories and lots of misleading and inaccurate conclusions.

17 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I avoided it due to their "advanced stats or bust" approach to hockey reporting. Maybe I'm wrong on that but I know their founder is a big stats guy and I find it makes for dry stories and lots of misleading and inaccurate conclusions.

There are for sure articles dedicated to the advanced stats, and I do enjoy reading some of those, but there are other news stories and reporting.  

Pierre LeBrun has recently been doing a lot of Jets articles since we are down to the final 4.  

Last articles in the Jets section since May 13:

• By the numbers: Which non-playoff teams can emulate the Jets success by being patient?From subtle to spectacular, Nate Schmidt does it all as Golden Knights -- and Schmidt -- continue to surprise
  • LeBrun: Vegas thinks fast, alters approach, and the Western Conference final just got a lot more interesting
  • Is Nik Ehlers really slumping? Does it matter?
  • LeBrun: Jets ridiculous defensive depth leaves a now-healthy Dmitry Kulikov on the sidelines
  • Dustin Byfuglien is the hard-hitting, fun-loving heart and soul of the Jets
  • In the Tkachuk family, it's Chantal who is 'the captain of the house'
  • Golden Knights fall in Game 1 to a Jets team which stands as their greatest challenge yet
  • LeBrun: After a titanic struggle with Nashville, Jets are 'men versus boys' in Game 1 victory over Vegas

Out of the 8, 2 of those articles would be heavily stat based.

I have a recollection of Bryan Randall picking up a win for us in Montreal.  Against Calvillo, no less.

I might be mistaken, but my memory alarm system is yelling something about a 3 point win, 25-22 or something like that.

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

Good Times... LOL

But it wasn't all just Mike's fault. Too much change on a team in too short a time.