Grey Cup: Calgary vs Toronto

JCon

57 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Yes I heard that too and thought, wow are you kidding me?... funny thing we forget is Calgary almost choked away the 2014 GC also... if not for the (appropriately called) illegal block penalty at the end of the game, Hamilton wins that one... 

He's still got 13 years.....lol

12 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

The West continuously getting the crap kicked out of it by the ''weak east'' in the Grey Cup really takes away from the argument of making the radical change of changing the playoff seeding .

Well the 5th best team got an easier path to the Grey Cup over more deserving teams so the format is still flawed. Also, wouldn't say they got the crap kicked out of them after leading the majority of the game until late.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Stamps are soft. Their fans blaming the weather or the system for their loss?? That's just crazy. Just go out & play harder than the other team. Make your own breaks. That's how you win. The Stamps continually choke. It's in the organization's DNA to choke. That's what they're about. They just choke.

It happens to a lot of teams.  The Stamps might be the most prominent, but the Als of the 50s had excellent teams (sometimes the best in the regular season) that choked in the big game.  Also the Als of the late 90s and 2000s had the best teams on occasion only to fall short of the grey cup or in the actual final itself.  Same with a few Bomber teams (1993, 1994 and 2001 come to mind).

I'm sure it is very frustrating for Calgary fans in recent years given they have fielded some of the best regular season teams in league history but I find some of the excuses rather suspect - weather, officiating and one-game winner-take-all.  All past Grey Cup champions have had to contend with these great equalizers of the past.  I think a certain sense of entitlement has taken hold of the members of that forum and perhaps much of the fanbase.  In fairness, if fan forums existed in the 80s, I'm sure those same feelings would exist here and in Edmonton.

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Stamps arrogance cost em. BLM trying to play the hero and making the big passes the entire time. He wanted the highlight to be his toss into the endzone no question, instead it's him throwing a dumb dumb interception when they were in position to at least tie the game. Looks good on him cause he's really only a step above douchebags like Duron Carter. 

And then the Stamps players start pointing fingers at each other, hooo boy that's gonna be a fun offseason. Flying apart at the seams we can hope. 

They have had a nine-year run of dominance up to this point.  Maybe in the next year or two they finally begin to decline to merely good, average, or bad...great players replaced by good or mediocre ones to bring the team down to earth.  Of course I am basing this on nothing more than the previous Stamps run of great teams from 1990 - 2000.  Shortly after that, they had a 7 year run of teams ranging from terrible to decent.

21 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

It happens to a lot of teams.  The Stamps might be the most prominent, but the Als of the 50s had excellent teams (sometimes the best in the regular season) that choked in the big game.  Also the Als of the late 90s and 2000s had the best teams on occasion only to fall short of the grey cup or in the actual final itself.  Same with a few Bomber teams (1993, 1994 and 2001 come to mind).

I'm sure it is very frustrating for Calgary fans in recent years given they have fielded some of the best regular season teams in league history but I find some of the excuses rather suspect - weather, officiating and one-game winner-take-all.  All past Grey Cup champions have had to contend with these great equalizers of the past.  I think a certain sense of entitlement has taken hold of the members of that forum and perhaps much of the fanbase.  In fairness, if fan forums existed in the 80s, I'm sure those same feelings would exist here and in Edmonton.

I know some of the guys on the Stamps forum personally. They're great fans but at least one is being totally myopic playing the victim card which is totally ridiculous. They're in shock, they're angry & grasping at straws to try to explain to themselves why the Stamps continually choke year in & year out. I think most are in a state of denial & are embarrassed losing to the RedBlacks last year & the  Argos yesterday. I feel bad for them as it is agonizing knowing they lost another championship. BUT...they need to come to grips with the reality of the situation. Bottom line is the Stamps didn't make enough big plays to win but allowed too many big plays & lost. In the biggest game of the season they came up woefully short. Great teams don't do that. The Stamps have a lot of great athletes but they are far from a great team. The Bombers were a better team than the Stamps. The players believed in one another & had each other's backs. The Stamps on the other hand were throwing each other under the bus after the game.  That's not a team. That's a bunch of individuals playing together. Big difference. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I know some of the guys on the Stamps forum personally. They're great fans but at least one is being totally myopic playing the victim card which is totally ridiculous. They're in shock, they're angry & groping at straws to try to explain to themselves why the Stamps continually choke year in & year out. I think most are in a state of denial & are embarrassed losing to the RedBlacks last year & the  Argos yesterday. I feel bad for those fans as it is agony for them. BUT...they need to come to grips with the reality of the situation. Bottom line is the Stamps didn't make enough big plays to win but allowed enough big plays to lose. In the biggest game of the season they came up woefully short. Great teams don't do that. The Stamps have a lot of great athletes but they are far from a great team. The Bombers were a better team than the Stamps. The players believed in one another & had each other's backs. The Stamps on the other hand were throwing each other under the bus after the game.  That's not a team. That's a bunch of individuals playing together. Big difference. 

It will be interesting to see the fallout in the off-season.  Who do you think won't be back next year?  McDaniel for one I guess?

I never signed up for the new stamps forum, but I would browse on occasion.  Whatever happened to that awful poster Moon?  When I went to the forum yesterday, I was expecting to read some insane rants from him.  Banned?

6 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

It will be interesting to see the fallout in the off-season.  Who do you think won't be back next year?  McDaniel for one I guess?

I never signed up for the new stamps forum, but I would browse on occasion.  Whatever happened to that awful poster Moon?  When I went to the forum yesterday, I was expecting to read some insane rants from him.  Banned?

He was banned. The guy was freaking racist & a nutcase. have to say though, I think that forum will just wither & die. One of the mods quit yesterday saying he can't take it anymore & the negative comments. C'mon man. He expected people to say they had a great season &... someone had to lose.  Cumbaya. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Bottom line is the Stamps didn't make enough big plays to win but allowed too many big plays & lost

That's almost an understatement considering they gave up the two biggest plays in Grey Cup history...

Just curious... how many rider trolls are all over the stamps board right now?

Do I have any empathy for the stumps....NONE....They have been on the top rung in the west division for far too long...They are a well oiled...well coached and managed team that manages to steal defeat from the jaws of victory....Blaming field conditions on their latest Cup failure is a laugher...BOTH teams had to play in that weather and you can't use it as an excuse..  Blowing it on their final offensive play falls to who called that play and their all star quarterback...Did the Argos' get that famous 'bounce'?...For sure on a couple of occasions but like the ol saying...sometimes you make your own breaks...I see the stamps making a couple of major changes for 18' and they will definitely be falling back in the pack...It's going to be a dog fight in our division next year AND IF we can secure the right pieces...I'm predicting right now we'll be vying for that top rung and could possibly be top dog in the west ...and it's about time

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

That's almost an understatement considering they gave up the two biggest plays in Grey Cup history...

Just curious... how many rider trolls are all over the stamps board right now?

I haven't been there much. Especially the past week. I don't plan on really going back, either. I was on a bit last night & from what I saw not many. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

I think they need to shake things up & move some expensive older core players. McDaniels & maybe Charleston Hughes. There was absolutely zero leadership from him after the game when he criticized Kamar Jordan when he fumbled. They can't stand pat with this underachieving group they have. 

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/28/mcdaniel-if-it-was-me-i-would-say-the-same-thing/

Marquay McDaniel says he did a good job holding back when calling out Kamar Jordan. Man, what a complete tool. I'd never advocate for a guy to lose his job and his ability to provide for his family, BUT.........if this guy got cut and not picked up by another team, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep. What an awful teammate. Talk about the polar opposite of a MOS guy...

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Marquay McDaniel says he did a good job holding back when calling out Kamar Jordan. Man, what a complete tool. I'd never advocate for a guy to lose his job and his ability to provide for his family, BUT.........if this guy got cut and not picked up by another team, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep. What an awful teammate. Talk about the polar opposite of a MOS guy...

I personally would like to see him stay with the Stampeders, and I hope he gets a locker right next to Jorden. 

49 minutes ago, Noeller said:

ya thats pretty pathetic of him to say.. "I could have been meaner but I held myself..."  Oh, really? So completely blaming a teammate for the loss in the greycup is "holding back" what a clownshoe.

I think McDaniel is getting unduly roasted for his comments. It's wrong to criticize your teammates publicly, but it doesn't make him any less right.

“It’s a stupid play to be real. I mean ****, we were inside the 15 up eight with a chance to at least get a field goal. What are you doing? We talked all game about putting two hands on the ball. What are you doing? It’s a stupid play,” McDaniel said. “You can talk all you want about doing this, doing that. It’s a dumb play. Stupid football loses games.”

Between Jorden coughing up the ball and Bo Levi forcing passes into double coverage, stupid football did lose them the game. Then, 15 minutes later, in what could very well be his last season and therefor his last shot at a cup, McDaniel threw aside the usual cliches and foolishly told the truth to people who profit from this sort of drama. Dumb, but true. If McDaniel doesn't make it to next season it will be because he's getting old and spends too much time in the tub, not because he called stupid football stupid.

1 minute ago, MOBomberFan said:

I think McDaniel is getting unduly roasted for his comments. It's wrong to criticize your teammates publicly, but it doesn't make him any less right.

“It’s a stupid play to be real. I mean ****, we were inside the 15 up eight with a chance to at least get a field goal. What are you doing? We talked all game about putting two hands on the ball. What are you doing? It’s a stupid play,” McDaniel said. “You can talk all you want about doing this, doing that. It’s a dumb play. Stupid football loses games.”

Between Jorden coughing up the ball and Bo Levi forcing passes into double coverage, stupid football did lose them the game. Then, 15 minutes later, in what could very well be his last season and therefor his last shot at a cup, McDaniel threw aside the usual cliches and foolishly told the truth to people who profit from this sort of drama. Dumb, but true. If McDaniel doesn't make it to next season it will be because he's getting old and spends too much time in the tub, not because he called stupid football stupid.

Gotta protect your team mates, not throw em under the bus.. even if they do some dumb stuff.

Just now, SPuDS said:

Gotta protect your team mates, not throw em under the bus.. even if they do some dumb stuff.

I agree, totally. In the same way I agree you gotta put two hands the ball at a time like that.

Funny thing... they both made really dumb moves, but I'd bet Jorden will get a chance to redeem himself before McDaniel ever finds himself in another Grey Cup game.

7 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Even with the Jorden fumble... the ridiculous call to throw to the endzone instead of kick the field goal, and the subsequent garbage throw are far worse.  But it's easier to call out the young kid than the QB and coach and that's what makes it extra shitty.

Edited by Atomic