CFL Draft

Floyd

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

you had basketball season and football season overlap? i thought football was more summer/fall and basketball was more winter/spring

if you play at a high level basketball hardly has down time. 

9 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

It would've been nice to go after Vandervoort, and I feel like picking Gray in the first was still a bit of a reach.

I'm not overly impressed by the Conteh pick in the third round - he's nothing like Loffler, a guy who lives and breathes football. Having played with Abu, although I'm sure he's changed since, he was never a guy who was really committed to football. He used to skip football games to avoid being banged up for basketball games. 

I can't say that I feel like we did very good today, it was a sadly predictable draft, but that isn't a good thing this time.

So you're evaluating his commitment to football based on personal experiences from 5 years ago? Since he went down to North Dakota School of Science and then Grambling, I'd bet his attitude has changed.

48 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

curious about this pic,  is Ekakitie going to be playing as #1 or is that in relevance to where he was drafted over all (I always thought draft jerseys had the year on it vs selection)

He's been a Bomber 1 day ...

12 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I'm no expert like some folks pretend to be but couple DL. Couple OL. Couple WR. And a guy Justin Dunk had as his number 1 DB and a kicker who Rob Maver said was the best punter taken in years sounds good to me. 

I thought we did real well today couple of real good solid picks, some hopefuls and some wait and see. 

9 minutes ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

pretty spot on analysis and good case for each of their points.  Given the fact we pretty much had our 7 starting NI's already pencilled in, this draft was exactly what Forde said,  stock piling weapons in the closet. I suppose were still in a wait see period with these current draftees but overall I really like what Walters has done with our Can-con during his time here. Might have to start calling him the Anti-Taman

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

this is an interesting story... at least this part;

http://www.riderville.com/2017/05/07/cfl-draft-riders-confident-can-land-cameron-judge/

His possible journey to the CFL started after he was contacted by a representative of one of the league’s nine teams.

“He was down checking out one of my teammates, (defensive lineman) Eli Ankou, and my coaches had told (the team official) that I was Canadian,” Judge said. “He told me I should enter the CFL draft. I just had to get all my stuff together to send in.”

Now I know for a fact up until about a month ago the bombers had high interest in Ankou, and I believe it was Dunk who broke the Judge eligibility story prior to the draft today (with game changer in the title). Since it seems to be widely accepted that Walters feeds Dunk a lot of info, i'm going to go on a limb here and say this team official was a bomber employee. As such, as a thank you,  the sassachwon roughriders should send us over Demski and take neufeld off our hands.

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

1 hour ago, Mr. Perfect said:

4) An import

that was also a free pick though, for moving down from 6 to 8 and they still got grey. 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Draft rankings

1. Bombers

2. Edmonton

3. BC

4. Calgary

5. Saskatchewan

6. Montreal

7. Ottawa

8. Toronto

9. Hamilton 

Agree with the teams in the top 6 for sure. Walters sure was on the money with saying most teams were gonna have boards very different from each other, and most would come away saying they got their guys. 

Montreal and TO left them self in tough spots with their trades. Still got some interesting picks though. Montreal i think actually pulled out a nice draft considering that. 

Id put Edm 1 Their top 3 could easily all be on the roster and have varying impact as rookies. 

bc 2, they had holes, they filled holes. With top tier talent in those positions. buono gonna buono.

wpg 3. Top to bottom good picks that could have an impact. Expert manipulation to trade down, get their guy and still add value. If gray signs at some point, its hard to imagine our draft being any thing but no1 down the road. 

ssk 4 Judge and bladek are big pick ups for them. Auclair gives them futures. Picton gives em a good local developmental wr. Stocked up on big bodies which for them ran short the previous year. Auclair and judge are gambles. If judge sticks even for a year or two it cripples their value from this draft. Riders need ni help right away. Auclair is a gamble on a gamble too with his fit. 

Calgary 5. I like colling and i like his fit in calgary. Same with litre. Litre backing up messam is scary. laurensse with a late pick is a steal. 

Montreal 6. Shot them self in the foot trading away their first but got a nice volume of good young talent with up side.

^ I think all those teams won at the draft. Some will look a lot better or worse a year or three down the road. But what they had, what was available, and what they got is b+ stuff at worst. 

Didnt really like ottawas draft, though i did like the gamble on ankou. Hamm went off the board early but still got schram and scarfone. Like woodson and foster for TO, thought they went too soon on woods, especially over bladek and spooner. 

I really like our top 4 picks - Ekakitie, Gray, Spooner and Conteh. 

Ekakitie - best player "available", and fills a need, with him signed for 3 years is great for us. 

Gray - Winnipeg boy - 2nd ranked OL in this class - who knows Kyle Walters & Ted Thompson has arrangement in place :lol: - that's just my conspiracy theory

Spooner - Sukh Chungh-lite, Im thinking he's be sent back to school after TC to develop more just like what we did with Inztandt, right now we dont have a spot in the OL

Conteh - he could be Loffler's backup that Walter's is looking for - and a Winnipeg boy too

The bottom 4, not so much, I feel like we could do better

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I still want to know if the Riders have plans for Eddie Meredith (Spelling?) cause Ford said he retired from football. Has anyone seen anything stating otherwise?

Oh you should have posted this yesterday before the draft. Jones get his information in this board. He will only knew that guy retired when he read your post. :D

Edited by M.O.A.B.