CFL Draft

Floyd

8 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

lol ok ok was just askin, i see i could have just googled our last #1 pick for the answer

Image result for blue bombers draft henoc muamba

I like how it looks as if Joe Mack didn't own any dress clothes before he got the job and just pulled that shirt and tie out of the bargain bin at the Bomber store.

Looks like a great day for the bombers! Pretty much exactly what i expected, First guy was a guy to come in to instantly fill a hole, second pick was a bit of a future but i think Walters knows a little more than we do. Forde had Spooner ranked at the top of the board, that'll give us depth sooner rather than later. Can't argue with taking the punter, kid can really boom em, Maver said he's the most polished prospect to come out of the CIS in a long time. Kinda really like our seventh rounder Tylor Henry, definitely a Dressler type, maybe he can learn a thing or two from the man himself, He ripped the bisons this year with 298 yards on 19 catches and one touchdown in a single game.

Edited by Gotmilt

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Interesting read on Ekakitie from Ed Tait.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/05/07/faith-ekakitie-honoured-bomber/

Man the more I read about this kid....the more I like him. And if football doesn't work out, it really seems to me that he's got his head screwed on right and he's going to be just fine.

And that thing in the park?? Man that woulda been absolutely terrifying.

45 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Looks like a great day for the bombers! Pretty much exactly what i expected, First guy was a guy to come in to instantly fill a hole, second pick was a bit of a future but i think Walters knows a little more than we do. Forde had Spooner ranked at the top of the board, that'll give us depth sooner rather than later. Can't argue with taking the punter, kid can really boom em, Maver said he's the most polished prospect to come out of the CIS in a long time. Kinda really like our seventh rounder Tylor Henry, definitely a Dressler type, maybe he can learn a thing or two from the man himself, He ripped the bisons this year with 298 yards on 19 catches and one touchdown in a single game.

Hope the punter turns out to be another Jon Ryan....the only trouble with that is the fact he left for the NFL...IF we have that kind of quality at the licking position, I'd say we are set at the position for quite awhile..The whole draft was successful and if Gray comes home....lights out

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I still want to know if the Riders have plans for Eddie Meredith (Spelling?) cause Ford said he retired from football. Has anyone seen anything stating otherwise?

The Riders talked to him and flew him out to Regina 3 days before the draft.  They worked him out and interviewed him extensively and he is expected to play football this year.  He was out of football originally because he went to South America, got really sick and lost a bunch of weight.  But it looks like he is ready to play football again.  6'6", 315 lbs, 22 reps on the bench, 8'6" broad jump.  Former Boston College player before transferring to Western.  Looks like a steal if he actually plays.

source, Chris Jones interview: http://www.riderville.com/2017/05/07/coach-jones-on-the-2017-cfl-draft/

Edited by Atomic
source

17 minutes ago, Goalie said:

For a team needing Canadians badly... riders had an interesting draft. Couple futures there.. I'm including judge which to me is an odd pick 2nd overall because they have Muamba in the middle already 

Shouldn't be an issue because from what i read, Judge seems to be more of a SAM than MLB.  He started in the middle at UCLA but was moved outside eventually .  Jones figures there's about 3 spots they can play him at.

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

if you play at a high level basketball hardly has down time. 

Even when I was playing in highschool, we had fall practices with a couple of preseason games. Regular season during winter. Then comes Playoffs in "early" spring. Then regionals in spring to end of school year and summer basketball camps and also summer time conditioning at the school. It was close to a second full time job.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Post-draft expected depth chart:

zbDwTjN.png

I count 82 on the list shouldn't it be down to 75 or are there non counters somewhere on there?

I think our MLB is still the biggest glaring hole, but our (imo) much improved Dline may help that spot out with better pressure on the ends and a stronger run block up the middle

Just need to hope Andrew doesn't have to take any plays off, i really don't like when they sub in Normand essentially giving away that we will be passing the ball. A solid Canadian back-up who can run the rock and pass block would be huge imo.

Edited by Gotmilt

I can't wait until next year's draft. I'm already anxious to see what Walters and company, can pull off then. I really appreciate the time and thought these guys put into building a roster with the present, and future in mind.

This draft shows me that they've tried to cover a lot of ground in the way they've pieced together their choices.

Getting 3 out of 5 of your top picks hits the mark for me. It doesn't matter that their board isn't comparable to other team's boards. Each team has to address their own needs. Getting a starter, and some depth on the O-Line, some athleticism, and some possible future positional players (kicker) ticks off a lot of boxes and shows us they have a lot of confidence in who they have already.

Some references have already given the Bombers a top 3 rating for their drafting this year. That also hits the mark for me.

So, kudos to the scouts for their input and helping build a roster that allows the GM to add to the talent...not reach for the 'Pencer Picks'.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

The Riders talked to him and flew him out to Regina 3 days before the draft.  They worked him out and interviewed him extensively and he is expected to play football this year.  He was out of football originally because he went to South America, got really sick and lost a bunch of weight.  But it looks like he is ready to play football again.  6'6", 315 lbs, 22 reps on the bench, 8'6" broad jump.  Former Boston College player before transferring to Western.  Looks like a steal if he actually plays.

source, Chris Jones interview: http://www.riderville.com/2017/05/07/coach-jones-on-the-2017-cfl-draft/

Justin Dunk says that Meredith currently weighs 220 lbs. Riderfans is denying the accuracy ...of course, but if true he's gonna have to eat a boat load of lard sammiches.

13 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Justin Dunk says that Meredith currently weighs 220 lbs. Riderfans is denying the accuracy ...of course, but if true he's gonna have to eat a boat load of lard sammiches.

Actually he would have to eat the whole pig and not just its belly. Also skip the carbs. And I would spit out the hair too. 

15 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I can't wait until next year's draft. I'm already anxious to see what Walters and company, can pull off then. I really appreciate the time and thought these guys put into building a roster with the present, and future in mind.

This draft shows me that they've tried to cover a lot of ground in the way they've pieced together their choices.

Getting 3 out of 5 of your top picks hits the mark for me. It doesn't matter that their board isn't comparable to other team's boards. Each team has to address their own needs. Getting a starter, and some depth on the O-Line, some athleticism, and some possible future positional players (kicker) ticks off a lot of boxes and shows us they have a lot of confidence in who they have already.

Some references have already given the Bombers a top 3 rating for their drafting this year. That also hits the mark for me.

So, kudos to the scouts for their input and helping build a roster that allows the GM to add to the talent...not reach for the 'Pencer Picks'.

What impresses me about Walters management style is that he's balancing the draft picks with the SMS plan as well.  He seems to be on top of that aspect of the game unlike many other GM's who fill their pot and deal with the economics later on, not at all, or white wash the books by inventing new ways to cheat.

24 minutes ago, ediger said:

First time I've looked at our o-line in a long time without saying "Who the hell?"

Yeah, like seeing the continuity on our line and that we have a plan for the future as well. Slowly bringing guys along and having a plan to replace or even out-compete current starters or backups. Outside of Neufeld, that is a really young group of Canadians. I'm understanding the Gray pick more and more.

56 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Just need to hope Andrew doesn't have to take any plays off, i really don't like when they sub in Normand essentially giving away that we will be passing the ball. A solid Canadian back-up who can run the rock and pass block would be huge imo.

Actually, the more I see of Christophe Normand the more I like him as RB. Kid is a thumper and no way does his insertion suggest a bias to pass.