CFL Draft

Floyd

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Best dt? in the top tier for ones available, not decidedly better tho. best not available? no. best ol available? also no. Best db? no. We probably drafted the most guys who could start in the cfl if they reach their potential. 

Ekakitie is the best DT available

Gray is the best undrafted NFL prospect

Spooner is top three CIS OL prospect

Conteh seems like the Loffler of this draft

These are really smart picks

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

riders sickeningly did well. but right now id say the lions did better, and the eskes the best. 

what?

Walters literally wasted a pick on Gray and still did better than Sask, Lion and Esks

Just now, Floyd said:

Ekakitie is the best DT available

Gray is the best undrafted NFL prospect

Spooner is top three CIS OL prospect

Conteh seems like the Loffler of this draft

These are really smart picks

IF you want to pick and choose different standards you could argue that none of those are true. Colling is more pro ready, luke might be too considering he fits the size profile. And has played a yard off the ball. whats the fly north rate of signed bonus guys? Spooner is top 3, if you go by potential. certainly not pro ready. How does conteh seem like loffler? He wasnt a impact player who had injuries. Hes a guy with limited experience. Also doesnt have lofflers size or athletic ability. 

The picks are interesting, tons and tons of upside. Potential wise, it could be one of the best drafts. But potential doesnt win football games. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

IF you want to pick and choose different standards you could argue that none of those are true. Colling is more pro ready, luke might be too considering he fits the size profile. And has played a yard off the ball. whats the fly north rate of signed bonus guys? Spooner is top 3, if you go by potential. certainly not pro ready. How does conteh seem like loffler? He wasnt a impact player who had injuries. Hes a guy with limited experience. Also doesnt have lofflers size or athletic ability. 

The picks are interesting, tons and tons of upside. Potential wise, it could be one of the best drafts. But potential doesnt win football games. 

I'm only arguing because Im hammered from my drinking game...

- Colling is overweight and older...  more legit competition than Luke... Ekakitie is young and the USA has treated him like ****

- Spooner- bombers don't want pro-ready, thats why they took Gray... but Spooner is the best of this class as long as you can wait a year or two

- Conteh is another good DB/LB - same as Loffler was blah blah last year

- I love the K/P pick

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I agree with your statement. However anytime you can draft a potential starter (like Ekakite is being heralded) seems like worse case is we have a solid depth pick up behind Thomas, who may surpass him as the year goes on.  Spooner i see essentially taking over Coutures role this season, and Couture himself bumping Neufeld off the roster. 

Gray is a great back pocket asset to have if/when he eventually comes north. I still get the feeling Walters had many talks with him over the course of his Bison career and everyone basically knows where they stand and it was a good enough understanding to use such a high pick. 

I think Bigg Jay said Dunk mentioned that Conteh was a late addition to the draft and could easily be the top ranked DB. Given the uncertainty of Lofflers health despite a standout rookie season,  that's some invaluable depth as well. 

21 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Best dt? in the top tier for ones available, not decidedly better tho. best not available? no. best ol available? also no. Best db? no. We probably drafted the most guys who could start in the cfl if they reach their potential. 

You are just a guy on a website who thinks he knows more than the people who actually do it for a living. Sometimes it's fun to pretend but I actually think you truly believe you know more than the pros. 

I have mixed feelings on this draft. Walters absolutely knows way more than I do, but I was really hoping that Bladek and Judge would have been grabbed by the Bombers, but Gray is far from a shoo-in down south, so burning a second-rounder is not too bad. I was surprised that Herdman fell so far and Augustine wasn't drafted at all and I hope Bombers give him an invite to camp.

I like our picks when you consider the state of our roster right now.

OL - We have couture and Neufeld who are currently not even starting on our oline, do we have any room for someone to start this year? Nope. So we go and get Gray who will be a next year guy at best but CFL ready. Then Spooner who will likely need some time to develop. 

WR - We only start 1 and are looking to continue doing so. So we got 2 guys that can push for a backup spot

RB - not a whole lot worth drafting here. If Andrew Harris goes down we could very well think about starting 3 Canadians on the o-line.

DL - Clearly an area of need so we went and got the #1 guy. Don't see a problem here.

LB - We are pretty stacked here. Will be interesting to see how our roster fills out. Some good players could be surprising cuts

DB - Loffler is clearly the man and we have a couple other good athletes  here. Don't mind going after another good athlete in Conteh in a position traditionally held by Americans anyway.

Teams - Added another good piece here in Mike Miller this offseason. Between our Lbs and DBs we have a lot of guys that can run on ST. Appreciate that Walters identified our need for a punter. This could be the most important pick for the coming season. 

16 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'm only arguing because Im hammered from my drinking game...

- Colling is overweight and older...  more legit competition than Luke... Ekakitie is young and the USA has treated him like ****

- Spooner- bombers don't want pro-ready, thats why they took Gray... but Spooner is the best of this class as long as you can wait a year or two

- Conteh is another good DB/LB - same as Loffler was blah blah last year

- I love the K/P pick

colling is similar weight to ekakitie but is 4 inches taller. If any one needs to cut weight its ekakitie. (i dont think its an issue though) More competition a lot less action. 

Spooner has a chance to be the best ol out of this group. But a better chance not to be in the league in 2 years then the rest in his range. 

Conteh is a good tweener, and good depth + up side. not like loffler though. 

That pick is probably the most ballsy of the draft. Amazing prospect at kicker/punter. Having him punt so medlock doesnt have to is ideal. Feels like we passed on guys with potential at other positions. But its got tons of up side.

10 minutes ago, Goalie said:

You are just a guy on a website who thinks he knows more than the people who actually do it for a living. Sometimes it's fun to pretend but I actually think you truly believe you know more than the pros. 

The point has just sailed over your head. There isnt a clear or large divide between the guys at the top of each position. There is no clear cut best dt, wr, ol etc. This draft is muddy as it gets. When did floyd become a pro scout / gm?:lol:

3 minutes ago, BBlink said:

OL - We have couture and Neufeld who are currently not even starting on our oline, do we have any room for someone to start this year? Nope. So we go and get Gray who will be a next year guy at best but CFL ready. Then Spooner who will likely need some time to develop. 

WR - We only start 1 and are looking to continue doing so. So we got 2 guys that can push for a backup spot

RB - not a whole lot worth drafting here. If Andrew Harris goes down we could very well think about starting 3 Canadians on the o-line.

DL - Clearly an area of need so we went and got the #1 guy. Don't see a problem here.

LB - We are pretty stacked here. Will be interesting to see how our roster fills out. Some good players could be surprising cuts

DB - Loffler is clearly the man and we have a couple other good athletes  here. Don't mind going after another good athlete in Conteh in a position traditionally held by Americans anyway.

Teams - Added another good piece here in Mike Miller this offseason. Between our Lbs and DBs we have a lot of guys that can run on ST. Appreciate that Walters identified our need for a punter. This could be the most important pick for the coming season. 

it's all good

Edited by IC Khari

3 minutes ago, BBlink said:

The push on couture and neufeld from this draft is huge. Hopefully it leads to a trade for newfie, and the best out of couture. Idk if we have had this much access to the amount of raw ni talent on the ol in my life time. Really exciting. 

Was hoping for a higher guy too, but they went just a lil too high. I like henry as an under sized chip on his shoulder type. Jfg has a big chance to step up this year. 

agree on the rbs. i was surprised augustine fell out of the draft. Dont feel like it was a position to adress though.

Conteh, another local guy is gonna be nice. Has that upside we look for too.

7 minutes ago, tracker said:

I have mixed feelings on this draft. Walters absolutely knows way more than I do, but I was really hoping that Bladek and Judge would have been grabbed by the Bombers, but Gray is far from a shoo-in down south, so burning a second-rounder is not too bad. I was surprised that Herdman fell so far and Augustine wasn't drafted at all and I hope Bombers give him an invite to camp.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over Bladek or Judge. I doubt rider will even see judge for a long time, when I hear a player say they want to "exhaust" their nfl opportunities to me that means, don't wait up, I will be a while.

imo Bladek and Spooner are a wash. They both won't be starting anytime soon,  and Bladek also hasn't played in a year, that could possibly tip in spooner's favor is you were evaluating them head to head on the better pick.

It would've been nice to go after Vandervoort, and I feel like picking Gray in the first was still a bit of a reach.

I'm not overly impressed by the Conteh pick in the third round - he's nothing like Loffler, a guy who lives and breathes football. Having played with Abu, although I'm sure he's changed since, he was never a guy who was really committed to football. He used to skip football games to avoid being banged up for basketball games. 

I can't say that I feel like we did very good today, it was a sadly predictable draft, but that isn't a good thing this time.

2 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

It would've been nice to go after Vandervoort, and I feel like picking Gray in the first was still a bit of a reach.

I'm not overly impressed by the Conteh pick in the third round - he's nothing like Loffler, a guy who lives and breathes football. Having played with Abu, although I'm sure he's changed since, he was never a guy who was really committed to football. He used to skip football games to avoid being banged up for basketball games. 

I can't say that I feel like we did very good today, it was a sadly predictable draft, but that isn't a good thing this time.

you had basketball season and football season overlap? i thought football was more summer/fall and basketball was more winter/spring