CFL Draft

Floyd

1 minute ago, Doublezero said:

And you are right that Bombers are surely cognizant that although Harris has shown great durability, he is now on the fading side of 30.

to be honest his durability isn't really what concerns me because if he gets injured we will change the ratio and slot Flanders in. What concerns me is on a long drive when Harris has carried the ball 3-4 times and pulls off a big run and has to come out or gets nicked up and has to sit out a play of two, I hope Normand can come in and be a viable running threat rather than just automatically assume the Bombers will pass or not have to worry about the threat of Normand running.

8 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

to be honest his durability isn't really what concerns me because if he gets injured we will change the ratio and slot Flanders in. What concerns me is on a long drive when Harris has carried the ball 3-4 times and pulls off a big run and has to come out or gets nicked up and has to sit out a play of two, I hope Normand can come in and be a viable running threat rather than just automatically assume the Bombers will pass or not have to worry about the threat of Normand running.

I think if Harris got hurt, or eventually retires we will go back to import at RB.  The messams/cornish's/harris' of the league are exceptions and finding NI depth for them is hard. That's why you generally see NI's as FBs not RB.

If we did need to go NI somewhere else I think we'd maybe see us swap out Bruce Johnson or play Knox/Hurl at MLB.  

OR if he's good enough, our #1 last night gave us an option to go westerman/thomas/ekakitie/okpalaugo but I'd prefer to see Nevis remain in the line up

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

15 hours ago, Floyd said:

what?

Walters literally wasted a pick on Gray and still did better than Sask, Lion and Esks

Bombers had a good draft, but so did Wally.  Plugged some holes nicely.

I'm not sold on the Riders draft.  There are some question marks there

Edited by lyin' guy

19 hours ago, lyin' guy said:

Wally did, what Wally does - puts together a solid draft. Maybe the best. I'm surprised that he took Vandervoort. I would have loved to have seen the expression on Austin's face when that pick went down.

Walters and Wally won the draft by getting the first and third overall picks for a very low (no?) cost.

The Riders made some very odd decisions, IMO. They need NIs to play now, not in the future or maybe never. We'll see how well Jones did by the end of the year.

Edited by JCon
Typo

Just now, nate007 said:

Maybe that explains the McGough pick: he was was in some sort of dumbfounded stupor or uncontrollable fit of rage.

Wasn't his quote something like "most talented player left on the board"?  Very odd comment. Surprised they didn't take Behar, actually.

Unless they felt other teams were coveting Judge early, I think going #2 overall for him was way too early for a guy going to test NFL waters likely for a while.  Outside of Gray at #8 and Ankou at #26 the riders could have maybe got Judge with their 30th pick and addressed something more pressing at #2, or did something like Bladek at 2, Wright at 11, Judge at 30.

the biggest head scratchers for me from the riders was the 3 OL after Bladek.  Now they have Guy, JSJ, White and Bladek fighting for 1 spot, where these other 3 picks fit in is beyond me. I realize they had a lot of injuries on the line last year but of the 4 mentioned, that should already be sufficient depth,  some of these guys are going to be so buried down the pecking order just seems like a lot of wasted picks

there was a lot of talk leading up to the draft that Wally was going to be taking Vandevoort...I think Ham tried to trade up, but couldn't make something happen (or so was tweeted last night). As Walters has mentioned several times, it's no surprise that every team's personal "board" was different. For Ham, they really liked McGough....nothing wrong with that....

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

Unless they felt other teams were coveting Judge early, I think going #2 overall for him was way too early for a guy going to test NFL waters likely for a while.  Outside of Gray at #8 and Ankou at #26 the riders could have maybe got Judge with their 30th pick and addressed something more pressing at #2, or did something like Bladek at 2, Wright at 11, Judge at 30.

the biggest head scratchers for me from the riders was the 3 OL after Bladek.  Now they have Guy, JSJ, White and Bladek fighting for 1 spot, where these other 3 picks fit in is beyond me. I realize they had a lot of injuries on the line last year but of the 4 mentioned, that should already be sufficient depth,  some of these guys are going to be so buried down the pecking order just seems like a lot of wasted picks

TSN was saying that they were looking at Bladek or Judge at 2. If they got both, you can't blame them for the pick because they got both.

Now, whether their analysis of these players is good is another story.

20 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I think if Harris got hurt, or eventually retires we will go back to import at RB.  The messams/cornish's/harris' of the league are exceptions and finding NI depth for them is hard. That's why you generally see NI's as FBs not RB.

If we did need to go NI somewhere else I think we'd maybe see us swap out Bruce Johnson or play Knox/Hurl at MLB.  

OR if he's good enough, our #1 last night gave us an option to go westerman/thomas/ekakitie/okpalaugo but I'd prefer to see Nevis remain in the line up

agreed, which is why my concerns are more play to play not long term. having a rb who can come in and change the pace or even catch a ball out of the backfield could be huge.

I like what Duane Forde said about Spooner.... not the best cfl ready OL in the draft but the most athletic and highest ceiling... We don't need an OL to start this year so if Spooner takes a few years to develop, maybe it'll line up nicely with the return or Geoff Gray and we have a solid foundation on the OL for years to come...

34 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Understandable, they were expecting both Franklin and Adams to be gifted to them and got flustered when it did not happen.

18 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I like what Duane Forde said about Spooner.... not the best cfl ready OL in the draft but the most athletic and highest ceiling... We don't need an OL to start this year so if Spooner takes a few years to develop, maybe it'll line up nicely with the return or Geoff Gray and we have a solid foundation on the OL for years to come...

Exactly, it's nice when you can draft a guy when hes raw and by the time he develops he's under contract or is too old to be on the NFL radar. :D

50 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

No way Judge would have still been there anywhere close to 30th.

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Riders have 2-3 spots open on their line...  Dan Clark is basically your 6th OL on a good team, LaBatte having injury issues

If Meredith pans out, Jones is a genius and has a starting RT...  Bladek-Labatte-JSJ-Meredith could be very impressive in 2018

30 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

No way Judge would have still been there anywhere close to 30th.

I dunno, considering only 2 NFL hopefuls were drafted before 30, he might have still be available for sask vs auclair at 30.  Without seeing everyone's board I'm just going by how few were taken in the first 4 rounds.  Edm getting both Senior and Boateng in the 5th round may have won them the draft in a couple years times

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Most of the guys picked after the first 3 rounds are camp bodies who might get on a PR and be able to work themselves onto a roster in a matter of years.  They don't need roster spots for them.

16 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I dunno, considering only 2 NFL hopefuls were drafted before 30, he might have still be available for sask vs auclair at 30.  Without seeing everyone's board I'm just going by how few were taken in the first 4 rounds.  Edm getting both Senior and Boateng in the 5th round may have won them the draft in a couple years times

Those guys have NFL contracts - Judge doesn't.  He was a linebacker at UCLA.  The NFL is very aware of his existence.  They're not playing catch-up like CFL scouts because of his late nationality classification issue.  He was passed on at the NFL draft and passed on after it too.  He's no different to the NFL teams than the other 2000(?) graduating players they didn't sign.  But he has a NI status up here, so their not-quite-good-enough player is our potential future all-star.

His agent will be making calls and sending out tapes.  CDs?  Zip files?  Youtube links?  Maybe he gets a team to bite.  Maybe someone ahead of him gets injured.  Maybe he gets a chance he wouldn't have otherwise gotten because of it, and maybe he shines.  That's a whole lotta maybes.  The chances of him getting a NFL job are slim at this point, but I don't fault him for trying.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Riders have 2-3 spots open on their line...  Dan Clark is basically your 6th OL on a good team, LaBatte having injury issues

If Meredith pans out, Jones is a genius and has a starting RT...  Bladek-Labatte-JSJ-Meredith could be very impressive in 2018

There are so many "if's" associated with the Riders draft

"if" Judge doesn't work out in Houston he "might" be a starter "if" he can play safety

"if" Auclair somehow come loose from the NFL he "might" come to the CFL

"if" Meredith didn't actually retire from football and "if" he doesn't actually weigh 225 pounds he "might" be a good prospect on the OL