CFL Draft

Floyd

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah we got up side and tc help pretty good stuff. 

Marouf pick is a bit strange... not ST potential, seems like he's played DE for the most part - just dont see where he would fit in Hall's D

Still think Jordan Herdman with this pick would have made sense - the potential upside is just so huge for a late round pick

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Marouf pick is a bit strange... not ST potential, seems like he's played DE for the most part - just dont see where he would fit in Hall's D

Still think Jordan Herdman with this pick would have made sense - the potential upside is just so huge for a late round pick

Marouf is a guy who has all the talent in the world. If he had stayed eligible and in shape hes probably a high pick or even nfl interest. A lot of off time and out of shape. But still has potential. Id like him a lot more if he was closer to his DE shape. though he was a really big DE at 265 for cis. 

Dont really see any up side to herdman. 

Moab all the videos are up in the thread like 3 times over.:blink:

Edited by wbbfan

I thought Marouf has been playing for the Hamilton Hurricanes since he last played for Guelph due to the ineligibility? Maybe not as good of a program as CIS level, but as long as he's playing and staying in shape, unless he really let himself go this past offseason? but if that were the case I don't see Walters wasting the pick

Tylor Henry does not have breakaway speed but reads the field really well. Brandon Thera sure looks like another Loffler- loves to hit. Marouf looks like the immovable object- in the clips provided, he fell on the opposing QB and I could not see the QB at all. The Spooner clips were so jumbled that it was hard to follow him at all. Conteh looks quick but unremarkable. The kicked looks awesome in hang time and appears to be able to aim the ball pretty well.

Just now, Gotmilt said:

i don't think so, Henry is fast but there are guys who will be cut this year in training camp who run a 4.4 40.

Speed is nice but its at least as important to read the blocking ahead and make the right decision as to where to go.

12 hours ago, tracker said:

Tylor Henry does not have breakaway speed but reads the field really well. Brandon Thera sure looks like another Loffler- loves to hit. Marouf looks like the immovable object- in the clips provided, he fell on the opposing QB and I could not see the QB at all. The Spooner clips were so jumbled that it was hard to follow him at all. Conteh looks quick but unremarkable. The kicked looks awesome in hang time and appears to be able to aim the ball pretty well.

Personally i do like the pick, I just see him more of a receiver. He runs really nice routes and has some pretty nice hands, add a little more strength and he could be a solid prospect.

Edited by Gotmilt

1 hour ago, tracker said:

Speed is nice but its at least as important to read the blocking ahead and make the right decision as to where to go.

You can teach most guys to follow blocking better, cant teach speed. But in general what ever you do worst is the most important. 

For me, i wanna see returners catch the ball in the air. Dont let the ball hit the dang turf. Get the ball, secure the ball, run as north south as possible, dont be an easy tackle for the first guy. Its great to look for the next blink etc at return man. But short of an elite return man whose a threat to score any time he touches it im content for that smart, crafty, consistent return man. 

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

You can teach most guys to follow blocking better, cant teach speed. But in general what ever you do worst is the most important. 

For me, i wanna see returners catch the ball in the air. Dont let the ball hit the dang turf. Get the ball, secure the ball, run as north south as possible, dont be an easy tackle for the first guy. Its great to look for the next blink etc at return man. But short of an elite return man whose a threat to score any time he touches it im content for that smart, crafty, consistent return man. 

and if we have a return man thats 5'10 185 that boy better run fast.

Haha... not sure we'll ever see the day an 8th round draft pick out of UAlberta returns kicks in the CFL.

Tylor just needs to worry about staying healthy and catching the ball in camp and he might just earn a practice roster spot and get into a game some time in the next couple years.

25 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Haha... not sure we'll ever see the day an 8th round draft pick out of UAlberta returns kicks in the CFL.

Tylor just needs to worry about staying healthy and catching the ball in camp and he might just earn a practice roster spot and get into a game some time in the next couple years.

he is a really interesting prospect, according to Dunk and Forde he had pretty poor quarterbacking at U of A and still seemed to produce on par with the top receivers of this draft. i would love to see him stick on the PR for a couple years and develop him. He could be a nice deep or screen threat if we give him some time I think.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't necessarily agree with the assessment. How can the Lions have taken the second (?) best receiver two spots earlier than the best receiver and, as noted, may have already reached his ceiling and still be praised for the pick. To me, that's a miss and, it's a miss on their first pick.

I'm not saying Hodge's analysis is correct, just question the rationale of putting BC on top when they didn't get the best available players. BTW, I trust Buono's analysis more than Hodge's.

And not giving WPG top spot because they didn't take a receiver? Well, maybe they didn't think any of the available receivers were better than what they currently have. It's not as though you need to draft people in every position.

On 5/8/2017 at 9:09 PM, Floyd said:

Justin Dunk said he thinks Marouf is better than Rupert Butcher. Dunk went to Guelph so he's watched him quite a bit.