3-Year Contract Extensions For Walters and OShea

JCon

4 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Please find me someone on this board who thought the kick was the right idea.

I didn't like the call.... but I know there were plenty here and publicly who did agree with it... I'm not going to let  that call define his coaching tenure so far...

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

To be fair, I've never seen players come out and say NOOOOOOO! when a coach has been extended. But it is a good thing for chemistry and for showing the players the management and brass believe in what they have.

Sometimes silence says more than words ever could...

Future contracts (for the next 2 or 3 years or more) are for past work already accomplished. They reward past value not future value. Contracts after the one already signed is what will reward what gets done in the forseeable future and right now.... just so long as that is perfectly clear

Watching the press conference earlier, Walters was asked about Nichols and his reported 450 000 ask... Walters said he's cautiously optimistic a deal will get done but said he has a plan B D C E in case pretty much. Tells me they won't give in to Nichols demands and will only sign him on their terms. Is Nichols good? Yeah. Is he worth 450 K?  No. 

You have to ask yourself which was the smarter of the two. Re-sign..or re-start.

Because the re-signing of  O'Shea is bigger than just another signing. It's a commitment. To an identity and winning culture. It's the total picture with Miller, Walters and O'Shea. They all beleive in one another and in what they're doing. And they are not wrong. 

They have to have continuity and respect. They're well on their way to achieving both. 

You simply cannot keep changing the HCs every 3 years. Do you know what that leads to? - changing HCs every 3 years.

If you're really going to be judging how good a Coach O'Shea is, the time to start would be now. Certainly not from the first 2 years. It's been stated by Walters that they may have had only a handful of players from year 1. 

Think about that. 5-7 players remain over the last 3 years. That's a hell of a lot of displacement. It means that the rosters we've had over this period just weren't good enough.

Are they good enough now? I don't know, but, from what I've seen, I like the direction we're going, and that's what we should be looking at..with a Coach that do they are willing to go to battle for.

The Bombers couldn't go forward as an organization if Michael O'Shea wasn't the Head Coach. The signing of free agents is important & if a coaching change occurred most of the players on the list may not have been as willing to sign as they wouldn't know who'd take over. This is one time that I agree continuity was the most important consideration so this signing is so very big. Also having the GM here long term will help immensely.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

We aren't in the room. We aren't in the offices. We really know sweet eff all. We pretend we know more but reality.... nope. 

I know ppl will consider it a fluff piece but it's a fluff piece with a point from a guy who is actually there.. in the offices in the room... I know he is their PR guy or whatever but... you know what. .. he knows more about the inner workings of this organization than all of us on here combined 

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/12/09/blog-consistency-stability/

Edited by Goalie

20 hours ago, Logan007 said:

It's live now.  When asked about his coaches and if he'll resign them, he said he needs to look at contracts but that he likes consistency.

I really wish they'd drop Hall and bring in another DC like Thorpe.

thorpe and steinauer are excellent DCs, but i worry they'd only be brought in if they run mos systems. Kinda similar to plop on offense, but his miss use of the running game, poor red zone schemes, poor use of the DI, etc i think would be improved by a good OC even stuck with in the same short pass possession offense.  

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

No real reason? How about losing? We had 3 winning seasons in the last 10. I'll give you Berry, but did really want more years under PLAP, Kelly or Burke?

Firing Ritchie because of Khari Jones injury = no real reason

Firing Berry because of Glenns injury = no real reason

Firing Lapo because Mack didnt get a QB = no real reason

Anyway... I like stability.  For now.

53 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Firing Ritchie because of Khari Jones injury = no real reason

Firing Berry because of Glenns injury = no real reason

Firing Lapo because Mack didnt get a QB = no real reason

Anyway... I like stability.  For now.

Khari wasnt injured. he was done. I do agree that his firing was pre mature. BUT in that era thats how things were done. Don mathews was fired for while not missing the play offs, richie was fired from MTL having made the play offs the previous year (at that point he might have only missed the play offs once, or not at all) 

Berry imop was kind of similar. In that the team tapered down a good chunk from 07-08. Going from the grey cup to 2 games under .500 and losing in the semi. in hind sight i think every one in bomber ville would have kept berry. But after mike kelly was hired I think most thought it would be a huge upgrade. I dont remember many at the time saying berry shouldnt have been axed after kelly signed on. 

Lapo did have a good bit of support from the fan base as a HC. Im not a fan of him as a OC. Never have been. We saw much of the same with him as a HC. Though I think he was better then most of the junk we've had as HC. If he could have got an offensive guru and let them run the offense he could have been a long term HC in the cfl. 

Moral of the story is there was plenty of reason for each firing.  The leagues and times have changed. Back then guys like kent austin and chris jones would be canned quickly.  And HCs have the shortest half life in sports. Your year to year no matter how long your contract is.  A disappointing season is a fast way to be golfing the next year. 

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Khari wasnt injured. he was done. I do agree that his firing was pre mature. BUT in that era thats how things were done. Don mathews was fired for while not missing the play offs, richie was fired from MTL having made the play offs the previous year (at that point he might have only missed the play offs once, or not at all) 

Berry imop was kind of similar. In that the team tapered down a good chunk from 07-08. Going from the grey cup to 2 games under .500 and losing in the semi. in hind sight i think every one in bomber ville would have kept berry. But after mike kelly was hired I think most thought it would be a huge upgrade. I dont remember many at the time saying berry shouldnt have been axed after kelly signed on. 

Lapo did have a good bit of support from the fan base as a HC. Im not a fan of him as a OC. Never have been. We saw much of the same with him as a HC. Though I think he was better then most of the junk we've had as HC. If he could have got an offensive guru and let them run the offense he could have been a long term HC in the cfl. 

Moral of the story is there was plenty of reason for each firing.  The leagues and times have changed. Back then guys like kent austin and chris jones would be canned quickly.  And HCs have the shortest half life in sports. Your year to year no matter how long your contract is.  A disappointing season is a fast way to be golfing the next year. 

Its make believe time... fun!!

Gene-Wilder-as-Willy-Wonka-in-Charlie-an