3-Year Contract Extensions For Walters and OShea

JCon

6 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I assumed this was only a formality... nice to get it done early... now they can focus on everything else from assistant coaches to free agency to the draft... 

I'd be shocked if they haven't been working on that for awhile now anyhow. They likely knew the extensions were there (just making the announcement now) and were working all along. 'Cause Walters still had a year left on his last deal, anyhow, right?

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/12/09/blog-consistency-stability/

"...During our rough start in 2016, Coach’s job security was discussed constantly in the media. And even though there were reports of his potential firing in local newspapers, there was never going to be a change. The experts had all the answers, of course. And Coach didn’t have a clue, of course. A day after our loss to Calgary, which dropped us to 1-4, I went down the hall to meet with Mike. He had just stepped out of his office, but I noticed a message from a player written on the whiteboard behind his chair:

“Just came to say what’s up coach. We got you.”

19 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Was making me a little nervous there for awhile but we got er done.....congrats to Kyle and Mike....Now get to work on our fa's...Sounds like Stanley Bryant is on board after his tweet.

He's only FA by technicality. As posted several times, he and Medlock changed their contracts to help the Bombers with the salary cap. They both have desk-drawer contracts that will be signed...

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Too many years for me, especially for O'Shea, but at least it's done and we can move on. I hope everyone around here is right about O'Shea and that this year is what we can expect going forward. If the first 2 years are the real normal, the 3 year contract will be very expensive indeed.

hqdefault.jpg

10 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Too many years for me, especially for O'Shea, but at least it's done and we can move on. I hope everyone around here is right about O'Shea and that this year is what we can expect going forward. If the first 2 years are the real normal, the 3 year contract will be very expensive indeed.

Who's getting less than 3-year extensions out there?

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

agree, 2 years would have been perfect for me. BUT, you cant give a one year deal it shows a lack of faith in the coach. Sends the wrong message to the team. Even though any coach not named buono could be fired any year you have to show more support and belief to your players then that. 2 or 2 plus a team option would have been great. 3 years i worry a bit. Mos still shows a great tendency to start HIS guys no matter how poorly they play or how much better the player behind em is. He still makes poor talent decisions, is stuck on some terrible offensive and defensive systems, and allows for gross miss management of the offense. For him to be here for those 3 years he has to take a big step froward. 

For walters id give him all the years. Since hes taken over hes brought in tons of talent, weve seen one of the quickest turn arounds of NI talent and depth in the franchises history, and maybe the deepest its been since we last won a grey cup.