Bombers vs Stampeders GDT

Nolby

I was impressed of how the the team came back but our defense sucked. The defensive scheme sucked. We need pressure. We pressured bo 3 times the whole game and the end result was an incomplete pass. Why did we not blitz in key situations. Sure the offense didn't do squat in the first half but watching bo levi stand in the pocket all day long throwing to the middle of the field constantly with no Bomber defender is not acceptable. 

2 minutes ago, TransconaBomberfan said:

I was impressed of how the the team came back but our defense sucked. The defensive scheme sucked. We need pressure. We pressured bo 3 times the whole game and the end result was an incomplete pass. Why did we not blitz in key situations. Sure the offense didn't do squat in the first half but watching bo levi stand in the pocket all day long throwing to the middle of the field constantly with no Bomber defender is not acceptable. 

Same D we've seen all year. They give up a ton of yardage but get turnovers - I was impressed that they almost won a game where they generated just one turnover (should have been two)

2 minutes ago, TransconaBomberfan said:

Thats not our D. We stunt frequently sending 1 lber or some times a db but virtually never over load. That said the D really shored up after the first quarter. They played more strong football for more of the game. I would allways like to see us more agressive. But BLM and the stamps have given up the least sacks in the league, just blitzing isnt going to change that. He gets rid of the ball quickly, checks down well and has strong steady chemistry with his offense. 

We gave up 3 tds on D (2 passing 1 rushing) and scored 4 on offense (2 passing 2 rushing) simple fact is we lost this game on teams. 0 fg attempts from medlock, finch put them in great field position all day and paredes had a very strong game. 

The Bombers accepted the coin toss win and then got Finch'ed.  Justin Medlock whallops the ball down to the goal line, but Finch returns it to Cal. 46. Between Finch's returns on punts and at least 1 great Maver punt, the Stampeders owned field position the entire 1st half. 

They scored on that. 1st possession. 
They then got the ball at their 53. Result FG
Third possession Calgary 43, then Winnipeg 52, then the Calgary 52 - result? Another TD.
Then the interception. Ball on the Calgary, 54 Result - TD
You get the picture. It was 24-0 before we recovered a fumble and got the ball at the Calgary 35.      
The result? Our first TD

They got their last FG of the half from a start at the Wpg 54

The coin toss? We weren't ready to defend Mitchell, especially with the field position he was given the entire 1st half.

We can look at our Offence, and Nichols being off, but, make no mistake, Special Teams was special..as in 30% off. Without all that instant field position, I'm not sure Calgary gets that 27-7 halftime lead. It was a letdown from that unit that we're not used to seeing.

Edited by Mr Dee

1 hour ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

The way Forde was talking about it when it happened he was thinking it was an actual kick where no yards would apply. Trying to recall the play, when it touched Adams there was a Calgary player within 5 yards. Since there was no flag I assume the Calgary guy was onside when the OLineman kicked it? Otherwise shouldn't a flag have been thrown? Or does a "dribbled ball" not allow for no yards to be called? Just as long as long as an offside player doesn't touch it first. 

Basically Adams should have just fallen on the ball. Oh well.

Did some digging - No yards does not apply on a dribbled ball. They made the correct call.

https://cfldb.ca/rulebook/kicking/kick-from-scrimmage-and-open-field-kick/

Hate to be Edmonton next week they are getting a real pissed off team

They'll be even more pissed off after they hear Bo Levi Mitchell's somewhat arrogant statement in his TSN halftime interview.

"They're finding out who they are and we're going to continue to show that to them." 

The Bombers should be able to use that statement when we meet them in the playoffs and shove that cocky statement right through that wispy beard he has and up his snazzoo.

The Bombers did great and much better than any sober fan dared hope. Nichols was floating the ball way more than he should have in the first half and the defense didn't bother coming out of the locker room until well into the game. Moreover, that was the worst our punt coverage has been since day one. Flanders did great and Feoli-Gudino was his usual clutch player. This was way more a win than a loss and I would bet Paredes would blow that FG 4 out of 5 times in the future.

22 minutes ago, do or die said:

We gave up 460 yds on D.   Hardly any pass rush to speak of....and couldn't cover anyone, with the game on the line, dropping back 9 guys.....

Room for improvement, for sure.

and like 150 yards of that in the first few drives. After that we did very similar to what we've done on D all year. Loose coverage make them drive the field. Problem is they started in good field position a lot. We arent a big pressure team and the stamps are the best at protecting the pass. Need to be starting heath and frederick. Wild out, and so was justin cole, who has been very very good for us. 

No cole, wild, frederick, heath didnt start, no darvin adams or sheppard, no mcduffie whose been very good in returns and starting to shine as a wr, and of course no harris. We may have filled the hole of his rushing and receiving, but not his blocking or his pass port. We played an awful first quarter, about as bad as you can, and still had a lead with the diying seconds on the clock. This was as much a win as you can take from a loss. Healthy, and not spotting them 3 tds+ and this game goes very differently.  

We arent going to become a swaggerville esq high pressure defence. We havent played a full 3 quarters little on a full 4 quarters to date. Room for improvement but you cant expect whole sale change at this point. 

Great game to watch especially the 2nd half. Thought the D played okay but felt that Johnson was picked on a lot and he got burnt several times. Maybe it is time to go back to one of the rookies that played so well when the "starters" where injured. For that matter Adams did not do himself any favours either. What about Heith and Merrick (I think that is who I'm referring to).