Week 3 (vs Ham...Now With Depth Chart)

Noeller

11 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Great idea, strangely that never occurred to me!

Let me give this a shot (channelling my inner Cactus Jack):

"The happy honker award doesn't go to the player who was the best or most dominant in the game, or had the best stats, but rather goes to someone who did something a little extra special during the game, maybe that one play that stood out or made a big difference at an important time, and changed the game.

Well, with the game close near the end of the second quarter, the Bombers had just scored a touchdown on a defensive interception play by Mitchell Leggat [writer's note - that butchering of his name was deliberate - Cactus often mangled syntax when he was waxing poetic. He came from the old school where a little imbibing during the broadcast was not only practiced, but almost mandatory, kind of like Do or Die and his gin] to pull ahead of the Hamilton Tiger Cats for the first time. After successfully making the convert the Bombers lined up for a kickoff to Brandon Banks, the dangerous and dynamic diminutive returner for Hamilton, when Justin Medlock kicked the ball towards the out-of-bounds stripe. When out of nowhere Maa-cho Harris [he'd mess up the syllables there too] hustled down filed and scooped up the ball for the Bombers, recovering it deep in Hamilton territory in the process, and setting up an eventual Drew Willy to Ryan Smith touchdown pass with a minute left in the first half to open up a big 12 point lead going into the locker room, and that would prove to be the big lead the Bombers would need to hold on and win the game in the end. So for that big turning point play, the happy honker award goes to the big special teams player Maa-cho Harris."

He might have also given it to Ryan Smith for that magic trick reception for the TD, but he loved the swing in momentum play that seemed kind of big at the time but maybe not the "TSN turning point"obvious type, but on reflection was a really big play to stop or start a key drive. Leggett's overall performance was more player of the game good, and too "good" for happy honker status. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

35 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

"The happy honker award doesn't go to the player who was the best or most dominant in the game, or had the best stats, but rather goes to someone who did something a little extra special during the game, maybe that one play that stood out or made a big difference at an important time, and changed the game.

Well, with the game close near the end of the second quarter, the Bombers had just scored a touchdown on a defensive interception play by Mitchell Leggat [writer's note - that butchering of his name was deliberate - Cactus often mangled syntax when he was waxing poetic. He came from the old school where a little imbibing during the broadcast was not only practiced, but almost mandatory, kind of like Do or Die and his gin] to pull ahead of the Hamilton Tiger Cats for the first time. After successfully making the convert the Bombers lined up for a kickoff to Brandon Banks, the dangerous and dynamic diminutive returner for Hamilton, when Justin Medlock kicked the ball towards the out-of-bounds stripe. When out of nowhere Maa-cho Harris [he'd mess up the syllables there too] hustled down filed and scooped up the ball for the Bombers, recovering it deep in Hamilton territory in the process, and setting up an eventual Drew Willy to Ryan Smith touchdown pass with a minute left in the first half to open up a big 12 point lead going into the locker room, and that would prove to be the big lead the Bombers would need to hold on and win the game in the end. So for that big turning point play, the happy honker award goes to the big special teams player Maa-cho Harris."

He might have also given it to Ryan Smith for that magic trick reception for the TD, but he loved the swing in momentum play that seemed kind of big at the time but maybe not the "TSN turning point"obvious type, but on reflection was a really big play to stop or start a key drive. Leggatt's overall performance was more player of the game good, and too "good" for happy honker status. 

Very well done!  Cactus would also add that Cummings dominated big #67 (Dyakowski) but might not attempt the pronunciation, I can't imagine what he would have done with some of the African names now in the league.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

46 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I actually thought Masoli looked decent. I thought the bombers O tho made the ticats D look average. I was expecting this pressure D in your face all game stuff but the short game played by the bombers kept the ticats D looking lost at times. I think we should have win by more tho. Gotta finish some of those long drives with tds. Hopefully that's next. 

He looked kinda wet behind the ears at times. But i mean hes a  young qb. You gotta take the good with the bad and let him grow and learn. hes shown some great flashes and has legit skill. Maybe the fastest release of any starter in the cfl today.

35 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Waggoner was a man on fire on special teams.

Hes been quietly really good to date on teams. Today, though not so quietly. If he continues it, it shows the game is coming to him and hes figuring out how to be a pro. 

36 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

He might have also given it to Ryan Smith for that magic trick reception for the TD, but he loved the swing in momentum play that seemed kind of big at the time but maybe not the "TSN turning point"obvious type, but on reflection was a really big play to stop or start a key drive. Leggatt's overall performance was more player of the game good, and too "good" for happy honker status. 

Beeeeep beep beep beep beeeeep beep beep beep ...beep beep beep.....beep beeeep........beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep..beep bu beep beep. (Sorry it was a beetle)

I went for a walk after the game and listens to the to/bc game.

we may be able to beat both those teams if we play like or progress from today's performance.   Jennings sounded blah and Lulay wasn't able to get a win.  Ray sounds like a broken Kahari......

im happy we pulled it together to get us a win and it was good to see the offence take what Hamilton was giving up and moving the ball.   The more we can do that the more we are likely to see willy relax in the pocket.  Hopefully the happy feet disappear

Some random thoughts in no particular order...

- Another week, another gradual improvement. Would we have won if Collaros was playing? Likely not - But many teams have wins over us the past few years with us playing our second and third string QBs

- Early Brandon Banks TD aside, the special teams coverage was outstanding tonight, especially from Waggoner

- Ian Wild had a nice bounce back game

- Front four came to play big time

- Shayon Green has no business starting ahead of Hubbard next week should that be the decision O'Shea/Hall go

- Nice to see a running back in a gold helmet fall forward as he's being brought down

- Clutch plays from Macho Harris and Mo Leggett

- Medlock was outstanding on his kickoffs. Still missing too many field goals considering his paycheque, granted its only been three games. Personally I would not have been opposed to bringing back Lirim this year, and I say that without hesitation. You don't put up the numbers he did as a rookie by accident

- The offence wasn't flashy by any means, and seeing the TSN replays it appeared the majority of our routes weren't testing the DBs deep - Which is fine given the cushion they were allowing across the board

- That said, the rare times we did try to stretch the field the plays were there, they just weren't converted aside from the Adams play

- Anyone wanting to disagree about the offence improving - Only one two and out tonight. Chew on that

- Still some infuriating play calls by LaPolice - QB draw on 1st and 20?

- Ryan Smith - Madden '99 glitch

- Loved seeing Shologan blow up Gable on that shovel pass

- Masoli clearly a student of the Cam Newton school of fumble recoveries

- Neufeld and Goossen are painful to watch. Thought Hardwick and Bryant had decent games

- Liked the work from Jace Davis tonight. Not jaw-dropping, but steady and reliable.

- Hoping next week the offence can continue to get better against an Eskimos defence appearing to be missing Chris Jones calling the shots. Improvements were made tonight. Still need to get better to be consistently competitive however.

Just now, 17to85 said:

I don't know why people are dismissing the dink and dunk offense. Ricky Ray used to rape us with dink and dunk. Hamilton likes to blitz hard and it's worked against willy for years. This game we had them chasing the play for a change and i will not complain about that at all.

Dink and dunk is fine but you have to finish drives. Otherwise it's a lot of yards with no purpose.

1 hour ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Sure they just played us. But Masoli was 29/39 for 367 and 2 TDs. Yes he had 2 picks as well but still pretty good numbers! We would be oooooing and awiiing if Willy had those numbers :) 

i am happy for the W though! 

Willy had numbers like that in the first two weeks. This is exactly why stats are deceiving. 

I think the purpose is to eat the clock. And it worked. Obviously the end goal is to score touchdowns but if not you are eating the clock. If the bombers can dink and dunk all game long and score a few tds in the process.... they are gonna win quite a few games. They didn't today but if they ever do end up finishing these 12 13 play drives with tds... look out. Also depends where you start on the field tho right. Bombers had a couple drives start near or b4 our 10 yard line. Put together a few first downs. Moved the ball. It helps. The goal of the O is to score touchdowns or field goals.... if that doesn't happen the goal would be to keep your d off the field and they did that quite a bit tonight. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Hamiltons 6 turnovers were caused by our D. I don't get why ppl say these things. The D forced those turnovers. 

Also let's not forget Hamilton got 7 points off a missed fg and 7 on a play where their guys were 5 yards offside. Goes both ways you know.  

Yes as I have already stated, for **** sakes, our D had a great game and stole a win out of the hammer. nearly verbatim.

what does our D having a great night and Hamilton turning the ball over 6 times have to do with our dink and dunk offense?

Unbelievable. Even on a good night with a win, it seems an argument is brewing here with the same people.

Edited by White Out

20 hours ago, Goalie said:

I think the purpose is to eat the clock. And it worked. Obviously the end goal is to score touchdowns but if not you are eating the clock. If the bombers can dink and dunk all game long and score a few tds in the process.... they are gonna win quite a few games. They didn't today but if they ever do end up finishing these 12 13 play drives with tds... look out. Also depends where you start on the field tho right. Bombers had a couple drives start near or b4 our 10 yard line. Put together a few first downs. Moved the ball. It helps. The goal of the O is to score touchdowns or field goals.... if that doesn't happen the goal would be to keep your d off the field and they did that quite a bit tonight. 

The re-programming of Willy has begun. 

First objective was to get him to trust a RB enough to keep feeding him the ball throughout an entire game. 

Second objective was to forget about searching down field for the home-run and focus on getting first downs. 

Third objective was to get rid of the ball quickly at all times so that he doesn't get the living hell beaten out of him. 

I'm happy with his progress but still many miles to go.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Some interesting reactions by Austin & Masoli. For the Masoli interview the audio isn't synced with the video so it is a bit distracting. Drew Edwards got his ears pinned back by a very angry Kent Austin when Edwards questioned him about starting Masoli.

http://3downnation.com/2016/07/07/ticats-lose-another-ugly-one-28-24-bombers/#comments

Edited by iso_55