Prediction time

This is a bit off topic but I think it is relevant. I heard the last half of a 1290 interview with Willy this afternoon, and if his verbal agility is anything like his decision making, we are in for a long season. His responses were all rote, and he showed little spontaneity in whatever little repartee there was. All of which makes me wonder if he is simply so slow of thought that he cannot ad-lib on the field if his first read is taken away or he gets flushed out the pocket.

1 minute ago, tracker said:

This is a bit off topic but I think it is relevant. I heard the last half of a 1290 interview with Willy this afternoon, and if his verbal agility is anything like his decision making, we are in for a long season. His responses were all rote, and he showed little spontaneity in whatever little repartee there was. All of which makes me wonder if he is simply so slow of thought that he cannot ad-lib on the field if his first read is taken away or he gets flushed out the pocket.

I don't think that this is a legit cause for concern... Speaking eloquently for a listening audience (or any crowd) doesn't come naturally to everyone, and is a skill that can be practiced, just like any sport. Willy has practiced a hell of a lot more football than he has public speaking. Honestly, I don't think Willy's ability to engage an audience has anything to do with his mental agility or his ability to play football whatsoever. Much like the remarks I've heard on this forum about Buck Pierce's occasional stutter, some people read way too much into a person's ability or inability to articulate well.

10 hours ago, BlueGoldBozo said:

9-9 at best ..... I'm afraid very afraid that we'll be 7-11 or 6-12 if Willy even misses a couple.

If the OLcan block & stay healthy & Willy starts getting rid of the football quicker we may have a winning season. Harris's hamstring injury is concerning.

2 hours ago, tracker said:

I am shocked, shocked, shocked to hear that athletes are speaking to the media in rote cliches. When did this start happening?

Never mind his skill as a public speaker or interview subject -- what I really want to know is, how good a machinist is he? Because if he can't move his hands precisely enough to make a candlestick on a lathe that may mean he lacks the physical dexterity to play quarterback in the CFL.  And what about Khalil Bass's guitar chops? If he can't crush Stairway to Heaven how can he crush running backs?

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

I am shocked, shocked, shocked to hear that athletes are speaking to the media in rote cliches. When did this start happening?

Never mind his skill as a public speaker or interview subject -- what I really want to know is, how good a machinist is he? Because if he can't move his hands precisely enough to make a candlestick on a lathe that may mean he lacks the physical dexterity to play quarterback in the CFL.  And what about Khalil Bass's guitar chops? If he can't crush Stairway to Heaven how can he crush running backs?

Not to worry, he'll bring his A-game on Friday. The whole team will bring 110%. They're learning the systems, they're putting in hours. They really like what Coach has in the playbook. They're looking to feed off the energy of loudest crowd in the CFL. 

4 hours ago, tracker said:

Let me put it this way. I know a young man who teaches on a .5 basis. He is good at his calling but when he is called for an interview to get a full time position he just crumbles and fails the interview. I think it is unfair to compare Willy's oratorical qualities to his physical abilities. There are many very smart men who are unable to express themselves very well. You probably should have left the last sentence out all together.  

Edited by LeBird

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

My favourite post of 2016 so far... 

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

Ever hear an NHL player being interviewed? Willy has nothing over those guys.

There are a lot of good athletes who excel at individual sports where they do not have to adapt to a rapidly changing situation, but compared to hockey, football has a lot of moving parts plus unpredictability. We are going to see how well Willy adapts to a semi-chaotic game.

getting this this thread back on track...

Edmonton 12 - 6
Calgary 11-7
Bombers 9-9
Lions 8-10
Riders 6-12

Hamilton 12-6
Ottawa 10-8                                          Toronto 7-11
Montreal 6-12

Hamilton over Cal in the GC.

Edited by Blueandgold

23 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Prediction time?

Don't know what our final record in the W-L-T  department, but we can all discuss that during our celebration at Portage & Main in November.

Hey now that is more than wanna be, that is full out fan boy.  I like it.

Edited by Fan Boy

On June 21, 2016 at 10:22 PM, JCon said:

Not to worry, he'll bring his A-game on Friday. The whole team will bring 110%. They're learning the systems, they're putting in hours. They really like what Coach has in the playbook. They're looking to feed off the energy of loudest crowd in the CFL. 

Homer

On 6/21/2016 at 4:36 PM, tracker said:

In contrast Andrew Harris is an absolute motor mouth, he'd make a great spokesperson for A.D.D.

WPG: 3-15

The worst O-Line ever in pro sports continues its reign. You can expect to see Willy injured seriously before game 8. FA's are mostly cast-offs from bottom dwelling teams such as Sask. Realistically this is a parallel move at best, not any kind of upgrade. Rookie talent looks good, but only when comparing to the low standards that are already in place in the organization. Fans get sucked in by wishful thinking, as is the case every year, due to slick marketing and controlling the message by a club that cares less for winning and more for the bottom line.

Bombers are like someone taking a 2nd hand Lada and trying to compete in the Grand Prix.

1 hour ago, BomberDynasty said:

WPG: 3-15

The worst O-Line ever in pro sports continues its reign. You can expect to see Willy injured seriously before game 8. FA's are mostly cast-offs from bottom dwelling teams such as Sask. Realistically this is a parallel move at best, not any kind of upgrade. Rookie talent looks good, but only when comparing to the low standards that are already in place in the organization. Fans get sucked in by wishful thinking, as is the case every year, due to slick marketing and controlling the message by a club that cares less for winning and more for the bottom line.

Bombers are like someone taking a 2nd hand Lada and trying to compete in the Grand Prix.

I'm not sure why someone who hates the team so much is on a message board like this. There's skepticism, and then there's whatever this post was.

You should find a hobby or interest that you enjoy more, and perhaps your life will have more happiness in it.