Doug Brown Explains

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

Essentially if all the pieces of any team come together they will have a successful season. Works 50% of the time Doug. Doug truly has all the answers, just ask him and in 1,000 words OR MORE he will tell u.

I like Doug Brown whether his opinions are popular or not.  He's the only writer/broadcaster we have (bad lot) with any inside football knowledge worthy of thought.  I think what he said holds fairly true for any team in transition, not just the Bombers.

Folks around here don't like his opinion, but Brown's not wrong. New systems and players take time to gel, protecting the QB is job #1 and we have a very tough start to the season. Most of the goodwill the Bombers had has been used up over the last 4 years out of the playoffs so they won't get much support if they can't put some W's on the board early on.

11 hours ago, iso_55 said:

I was too young to be a Hippie in the 60's & I'm too old to be a Hipster today. No other choice but to remain being the crusty old man chasing kiddies off my lawn.

This is so beautiful I'm going to crochet it, frame it, and mail it to you for your birthday.

(may need some time to learn to crochet)

26 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Folks around here don't like his opinion, but Brown's not wrong. New systems and players take time to gel, protecting the QB is job #1 and we have a very tough start to the season. Most of the goodwill the Bombers had has been used up over the last 4 years out of the playoffs so they won't get much support if they can't put some W's on the board early on.

I'm pretty sure "folks around here" all agreed with his opinion, because it was the equivalent of saying water is wet.

"Folks around here" also are starting to recognize that outside of talking about specific defensive schemes or relating anecdotes from his time as a pro, his takes on the state of current Bomber affairs don't have any extra value beyond what you'll find here on MBB, and come sprinkled with a liberal amount of snark.

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

I'm pretty sure "folks around here" all agreed with his opinion, because it was the equivalent of saying water is wet.

"Folks around here" also are starting to recognize that outside of talking about specific defensive schemes or relating anecdotes from his time as a pro, his takes on the state of current Bomber affairs don't have any extra value beyond what you'll find here on MBB, and come sprinkled with a liberal amount of snark.

exactly, it's not that I disagree with him. It's just he says the obvious, over and over and over again. His article's aren't "hard hitting" like they state they are in the bottom "Doug Brown, once a hard-hitting defensive lineman and frequently a hard-hitting columnist,"

They're more like, a gentle tickle that everyone who knows anything about the team agrees with because it's so damn obvious.

51 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Mrs. Brown, you have a lovely doubter.

But really, that article by Brown can describe any team in the league...

How old are you man? 

You are right about changes in other teams. Just look at the Western teams.

The BB are not the only team with changes and turmoil.  I would say the two green teams had some sloshing back and forth of coaches and personnel.

What the heck is Wally up to in BC anyway? No way that paying your QB with a rookie DB salary is going end well. 

Even in Calgary the old man at the helm is now upstairs (Certainly the least of the turmoil). 

There is going to be stuff happening all over.

Didn't find it that negative myself.

Our OL is relying on at least one bad player and two young guys as it stands, haven't heard any talk about going to 3 imports.  Our boundary WR (Adams) is not the sharpest knife in the drawer even if he has all the physical tools, and that's one of the guys who can bail out the QB when he needs it.

Our DL on the whole is average to weak until we see someone step up and take that end opposite Westerman.  Shologan and Thomas give adequate play, but aren't difference makers.  Hopefully Cummings can be one inside.

Still a lot of questions in important spots and Lapolice isn't a saviour for the offence.

33 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Didn't find it that negative myself.

Our OL is relying on at least one bad player and two young guys as it stands, haven't heard any talk about going to 3 imports.  Our boundary WR (Adams) is not the sharpest knife in the drawer even if he has all the physical tools, and that's one of the guys who can bail out the QB when he needs it.

Our DL on the whole is average to weak until we see someone step up and take that end opposite Westerman.  Shologan and Thomas give adequate play, but aren't difference makers.  Hopefully Cummings can be one inside.

Still a lot of questions in important spots and Lapolice isn't a saviour for the offence.

I think the saviour on offence will be the 3 headed monster of Dressler Smith and Harris, how you account for all 3 on every snap is beyond me.

Edited by Bigblue204

I expect Euclid Cummings will be the one who provides the spunk that motivates Shologan and Thomas to play extra well, along with our all-star Westerman. We have enough eyes on that final 4 DL spot that I'm sure we will fill it..more than adequately. That's the beauty of having talent on the line. It won't be Westerman alone this year, he will have help, which also helps the LBs. Domino effect.

OL is still a concern until proven otherwise.  They switched out Picard for Keeping/Goossen but otherwise it's the same line as last year, minus Chris Greaves.  We need Goossen to take a big step forward, Chungh to stay the same or get better, Neufeld to stay healthy, and we need to draft a guy who will be ready to play if called upon.  I'm not saying that won't all happen.... But there's no guarantee.  I like Matt Nichols but if Willy goes down for a long period of time, this team is out of the playoffs again and we get a whole new front office and coaching staff yet again.  I really hope the OL is going to be good enough.