Turner & Denmark Released

TrueBlue

15 hours ago, pigseye said:

Surprised? Only that Walters had the nuts to let both go at the same time. There may yet be some hope under his watch.

Yeah because releasing veteran players in the offseason always pays off. I would have preferred to see them either traded for something or given a shot in training camp. What if Smith isn't as good as Denmark? Then those nuts didn't really pay off did they?

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah because releasing veteran players in the offseason always pays off. I would have preferred to see them either traded for something or given a shot in training camp. What if Smith isn't as good as Denmark? Then those nuts didn't really pay off did they?

Whether they pay off is irrelevant, Turner and Denmark weren't good enough last year and it's time to move on.

6 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Whether they pay off is irrelevant, Turner and Denmark weren't good enough last year and it's time to move on.

because players never rebound right? Both have shown enough in the past to be worth giving a shot to rebound. Sure the bonuses due are an issue but there's no guarantees that the free agents they signed work out any better. I'd rather have more depth going into camp rather than less given how completely terrible this teams scouting has been. 

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

I think It's funny that their bonuses were due on April Fools Day.. Lol Walters. good one for sure. 

I dont know how the fiscal year works in a sport that's season starts in June and ends in November, but I think if it's like almost every other business, April 1st is the start of the 2016 payroll,  could have been an allocated bonus to not count against 2015

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

because players never rebound right? Both have shown enough in the past to be worth giving a shot to rebound. Sure the bonuses due are an issue but there's no guarantees that the free agents they signed work out any better. I'd rather have more depth going into camp rather than less given how completely terrible this teams scouting has been. 

He's prepared to fail or get better trying, I applaud him for having the nuts to take the risk. We won't know if it was a good move or not until the fat lady sings, no point arguing about the decision at this time.

• 4 weeks later...

It really bothers me that players in the CFL can be released prior to their contract bonuses being paid out.....makes me sick actually. Then we have the NHL players with their guaranteed contracts. There needs to be a something in the middle of that. NHL players should be able to be cut, and CFL players need teams to honour the contracts that they have with players. I don't know what the answer is, but being cut days ahead of roster bonuses sucks.

1 minute ago, ddanger said:

It really bothers me that players in the CFL can be released prior to their contract bonuses being paid out.....makes me sick actually. Then we have the NHL players with their guaranteed contracts. There needs to be a something in the middle of that. NHL players should be able to be cut, and CFL players need teams to honour the contracts that they have with players. I don't know what the answer is, but being cut days ahead of roster bonuses sucks.

I don't think you can have it both ways.

The bonuses are put in there at the beginning of the season by the agents.  This forces the team to commit to the player prior to the season starting.  If there was no bonus, then a team could hang on to a player throughout training camp and cut him before the season starts.  It would allow the team to string a player along even if they had no intention of keeping him, if only to keep him from other teams.

Putting a bonus at the beginning of the season forces the team to declare their intention on the player before the season starts.  If they get cut because of it, at least it happens in the off season where they have a chance of getting on with another team as opposed to training camp when rosters are full and it is tougher for teams to sign the players.

14 minutes ago, ddanger said:

And we know it, and the players and their agents know it, and yet they still scribble their names on those contracts. They really don't much choice. Perhaps, if they have any leverage at all, they could negotiate spaced bonuses during the season. The CFL is not a rich league at all, (sorry Rich) and this is pretty well standard procedure for players. And yes, it does suck.

I really hope with Toronto getting into BMO and away from Skydome and those Rogers morons, and Sask getting a new stadium (and hopefully soon Calgary too) and with new facilities in BC, Hamilton and Ottawa, that this league is only going to get stronger as the years go by.  We've seen Winnipeg now field three years of some of the worst teams in decades and still make money, because of IGF.  A new facility sure makes a difference.  More money should mean higher salaries which should lead to better talent which should lead to better football.  I will always support investing more money into talent on the field.  It all starts and ends there.  As teams hopefully get even stronger financially, I really want to see those dollars invested in higher salaries for those warriors who go out there every week and put their bodies on the line for our entertainment.  They deserve every penny.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

7 hours ago, CodyT said:

I must admit im kind of surprised denmark hasnt gotten a job else where yet..

Problem is with TC approaching every team is loading up their rosters with cheaper prospects hoping to find a young Milt Stegall.  Every team is well aware of what vet. receivers like Denmark and Stamps can and can't do and they always have the option of signing them at some point if too few of their prospects work out. 

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Aging veteran on the decline.... I'm not surprised at all.   He will find work once injuries occur...

Many a former great wr not far removed from being very productive has retired as a FA from lack of interest. 

I wonder if hes holding out for too much money? Id still love to bring him in on a cheaper deal for a 3rd wide out.

38 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Many a former great wr not far removed from being very productive has retired as a FA from lack of interest. 

I wonder if hes holding out for too much money? Id still love to bring him in on a cheaper deal for a 3rd wide out.

Walters said that won't be happening 

12 hours ago, Goalie said:

Walters said that won't be happening 

I havent seen that, but id take it with a grain of salt. That said, i wouldnt expect he would want to come back for half or less pay and being 3rd or lower on the depth chart. but a man can dream. Whens the last time we had 3 1000 yard wrs?

23 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I havent seen that, but id take it with a grain of salt. That said, i wouldnt expect he would want to come back for half or less pay and being 3rd or lower on the depth chart. but a man can dream. Whens the last time we had 3 1000 yard wrs?

When's the last time a team has thrived with their top 3 receivers all being under 6'? 

27 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

When's the last time a team has thrived with their top 3 receivers all being under 6'? 

Probably more often than you think. Size for receivers is one of those things that is nice but I think it really does get over rated sometimes. The CFL field is big enough it's better to have the speed to make plays rather than relying on winning jump balls. 

21 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Probably more often than you think. Size for receivers is one of those things that is nice but I think it really does get over rated sometimes. The CFL field is big enough it's better to have the speed to make plays rather than relying on winning jump balls. 

keeping in mind that DBs in the CFL are rarely over 6' also... having short receivers is not as major of a disadvantage as some make it out to be...

Edited by bearpants