Turner & Denmark Released

TrueBlue

4 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Is this just giving them a longer opportunity to sign elsewhere? Surely both could have at least competed for a job in TC.

I imagine so. Though im sure cutting the first few pay days they are due doesnt hurt either. I kind of thought turner might be able to bounce back this year. Atleast we arent keeping guys longer then we should. Good luck to em im sure both will be in camp else where this year. inb4 riders.

Denmark had to be about the money more than the skill and numbers. The guy has been consistent as a #2 (and occasionally #1) threat, but with them signing similar-style players in Smith and Dressler (small, fast, good hands, good effort), Denmark's $180,000 or so salary was too much.

He always seemed like a good guy and a team-first player, so I hope he catches on somewhere else and plays well in every game except against us!

With Turner, we'll always have the Superhuman Bryant Turner legend -- decades from now I'll still remember all those hilarious memes.

1 minute ago, comedygeek said:

Denmark had to be about the money more than the skill and numbers. The guy has been consistent as a #2 (and occasionally #1) threat, but with them signing similar-style players in Smith and Dressler (small, fast, good hands, good effort), Denmark's $180,000 or so salary was too much.

He always seemed like a good guy and a team-first player, so I hope he catches on somewhere else and plays well in every game except against us!

With Turner, we'll always have the Superhuman Bryant Turner legend -- decades from now I'll still remember all those hilarious memes.

Denmark certainly wasnt a legit cfl no1. He broke 1k yards once and has had 4 or less tds every year after his rookie year. talent wise i certainly would have loved to keep him as our no3 but i guess the money wasnt there. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Denmark certainly wasnt a legit cfl no1. He broke 1k yards once and has had 4 or less tds every year after his rookie year. talent wise i certainly would have loved to keep him as our no3 but i guess the money wasnt there. 

Yeah, he was a #1 by default when no other options existed for the Bombers, but as 17 said, he definitely played better when all the attention wasn't solely on him.

Basically, way too big a salary for the role he would've had with the Blue this season.

1 minute ago, comedygeek said:

Yeah, he was a #1 by default when no other options existed for the Bombers, but as 17 said, he definitely played better when all the attention wasn't solely on him.

Basically, way too big a salary for the role he would've had with the Blue this season.

That doesnt make him a no1 wr, the 2nd half really shows the point. I really hope we werent paying him near 180k that would have been beyond dumb. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That doesnt make him a no1 wr, the 2nd half really shows the point. I really hope we werent paying him near 180k that would have been beyond dumb. 

I never said it made him a "real" #1. But when he is your team's #1 target and leads your team in yardage, he's your #1 receiver. Whether he should've been doesn't change that.

And I can't seem to find any specific Denmark salary info right now to corroborate my $180,000 total that I remember hearing, but I did find this Sun article from when he signed his extension:

Now the Bombers slotback is going to be one of the league's highest paid receivers.

The former Jacksonville Jaguars receiver signed a contract extension on Friday, and he said he got a “small raise.” The soft-spoken Florida native was just being modest, because it turns out his new three-year deal gives him a significant raise that makes his wage comparable to the top six to 10 receiver salaries in the league starting next season. He will earn more than Edmonton's Adarius Bowman in 2015, according to a source.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/09/13/denmark-gets-small-raise-determined-to-earn-it

At first I was surprised but the more I thought about it I'm okay with it. When you play for a team that has won as few games as our team has over the last few seasons no one's job is safe. That's the business of pro football and it's not the fans' decision who plays here, it's Walters, and he will live with the consequences.

Best of luck to both players and I wish them nothing but the best.

7 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

Jamie Nye on 980/650 sports here in Saskatchewan figured Bryant Turner was still one of the 3 or 4 best D lineman in the league...figures he will catch on with another team quickly...he hopes its Saskatchewan

No offense to Jamie Nye....well I guess it's hard to say that and then follow with this but....that's the stupidest crap I've ever heard. I like Turner and think he's a baller, but top 3 or 4 DL in the league? That boy does not have a hot clue.

11 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

I'm willing to place a wager that he won't post those numbers this season no matter who his qb is.

Yea...me too. Denmark is a pretty consistent 800-1000 yard guy but he is not an upper echelon receiving talent in this league.

If he'd have had Bo Levi Mitchell throwing to him for his career, you'd be saying differently. He's an elite level pass catcher for the CFL...no question. Speed and hands and good routes. He's never been the #1 Milt -type "star" guy, but he's at least Terrance Edwards...

Very surprised to see this. Denmark seldom missed anything thrown his way. Not only that but he is younger that Dressler and the other guy from Sask. Not sure what they are thinking at this point. Salary cap or not, to release a calibre of player like him to get a one year wonder says something to me. For their sake I hope they can fill the hole. Adams won't do it and I'm not sure Smith will either. Veltung (spelling sorry) was not given a chance to show his abilities either so not sure where they are going with this but good luck. Moves like this make me feel more certain that not renewing after many decades of season ticket holder was the right move.

2 minutes ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Very surprised to see this. Denmark seldom missed anything thrown his way. Not only that but he is younger that Dressler and the other guy from Sask. Not sure what they are thinking at this point. Salary cap or not, to release a calibre of player like him to get a one year wonder says something to me. For their sake I hope they can fill the hole. Adams won't do it and I'm not sure Smith will either. Veltung (spelling sorry) was not given a chance to show his abilities either so not sure where they are going with this but good luck. Moves like this make me feel more certain that not renewing after many decades of season ticket holder was the right move.

Smith is 24 and Dressler is only 3 months older then denmark (will be 31 in june,  denmark in sept) so age mgiht have favored smith. I'm more concerned about Smiths health

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

If he'd have had Bo Levi Mitchell throwing to him for his career, you'd be saying differently. He's an elite level pass catcher for the CFL...no question. Speed and hands and good routes. He's never been the #1 Milt -type "star" guy, but he's at least Terrance Edwards...

Denmark caught passes from Pierce, Brink, Goltz, Elliott, Hall, Brohm, Willy, Marve, and Davis. Not a lot of star power there, and only two of them are even still in the league.

I'd rate TE above Denmark -- Edwards was productive even in games when he was the only decent receiver we could field and was perennially over 1000 yards.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

No he's not. He is missing the consistency that Edwards had.