Free Agency 2016...

Mr Dee

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

I have complained long and hard about Kyle Walters. Today though the work has been excellent. Overall talent is better. NI talent is better.

Think he did a good job with the Canadians obviously, but the work at WR with Smith and previously Dressler is good because he identified the roster weakness and also that our scouting in that area has sucked.

I don't get the Bomber hate exactly, They identified areas of need and went out and got those guys.

Harris - we needed a RB... we got one, he's from here, wanted to be here. Lochard? With Harris here now and BC going International at RB, it makes sense he would follow his buddy Harris

Smith - Our receivers needed to be upgraded, essentially, Dressler replaces Moore and Smith is an upgrade on whoever from last year, I'd suspect we see 4 Internationals starting at Receiver... Denmark,Dressler,Smith,Adams???,Kohlert. 

Medlock - was no secret we needed a kicker, we got one.

Shologan - DL was a weak spot last year, Shologan helps. 

Keeping - Vet OL who can play center and guard and is a good guy off the field, helps the leadership on the team. 

I don't know why anyone would be upset or angry over the Bomber signing these guys, It's not like they are signing them for the sake of signing them... Who did we sign from Calgary? Which of these guys did Calgary want? I don't get it really.

Free Agency... identify areas of need and go and get the guys you want. That's what Walters did. 

This is the whole point of free agency isn't it? 

Edited by Goalie

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Hufnagel is right to a large extent.  

There needs to be improvement on the procurement side for the Bombers too.  These signings alone won't make a huge difference.  Our lines are still both below average.

Bombers need free agency to upgrade scouts.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Hufnagel is right to a large extent.  

There needs to be improvement on the procurement side for the Bombers too.  These signings alone won't make a huge difference.  Our lines are still both below average.

seems rather petty for one GM to critique another publically. We picked up a few players via FA, still a long way to go before a finalized roster though

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

i doubt we have cap issues,  Dressler was a wash with moore,  Medlock/Shologan/Harris/Keeping/Lochard pretty much covered by Hajrullahu/Washington/Newman/Pontibrand and especially Picard

smith might be the only one that pushes us close(r)  but im sure there was money for this move too. I dont think we were paying exuberant amounts to anyone (other then picard) last year that warranted some reconfiguring

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

Agreed with Taynted; we might have spent slightly more on some players but we cut costs in others.  Picard was making much more than Keeping, the difference in salary for Keeping and Picard alone probably helps make up the differences for Medlock and Hajruallahu as well as Lochard and Pontibrand.    I'd be willing to wager that net difference is probably only in the 20-30k range from the list of players we removed to the list of new players signed. 

4 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

i doubt we have cap issues,  Dressler was a wash with moore,  Medlock/Shologan/Harris/Keeping/Lochard pretty much covered by Hajrullahu/Washington/Newman/Pontibrand and especially Picard

I don't know about that.  They are probably pretty tight.  You still have to replace some guys too, like Washington.

Smith, Harris and Dressler are at least 500K.  Moore covers one of them.  The other two are significant $$$ adds over the guys in those spots last season.  You've got about 100k in the trade-off of Picard to Goossen (who re-signed to a bigger deal too).

Hajrullahu, Newman and Pontbriand had insignificant salaries.

nHuff and puff says we're bad dudes for signing free agents we needed to improve???Get over it ..Says we didn't sign any of ours but went after everyone elses...Was he talking about the riders or us???Also says he prefers to sign his own guys first...Guess he's still trying to contact Simpson and Raymond and it was holding him back in fa...What a joker..

Edited by Stickem
spelling error

19 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I don't get the Bomber hate exactly, They identified areas of need and went out and got those guys.

Harris - we needed a RB... we got one, he's from here, wanted to be here. Lochard? With Harris here now and BC going International at RB, it makes sense he would follow his buddy Harris

Smith - Our receivers needed to be upgraded, essentially, Dressler replaces Moore and Smith is an upgrade on whoever from last year, I'd suspect we see 4 Internationals starting at Receiver... Denmark,Dressler,Smith,Adams???,Kohlert. 

Medlock - was no secret we needed a kicker, we got one.

Shologan - DL was a weak spot last year, Shologan helps. 

Keeping - Vet OL who can play center and guard and is a good guy off the field, helps the leadership on the team. 

I don't know why anyone would be upset or angry over the Bomber signing these guys, It's not like they are signing them for the sake of signing them... Who did we sign from Calgary? Which of these guys did Calgary want? I don't get it really.

Free Agency... identify areas of need and go and get the guys you want. That's what Walters did. 

This is the whole point of free agency isn't it? 

Weren't they in the running for Dressler?