Free Agency 2016...

Mr Dee

33 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Riders fans dumping on us. Saying we're only going to be in the battle for third and we lack depth or that its Taman redeux. I say to them, up yours. Hope those tools enjoy last place.

They were expecting big splashes and big names today but now they have to preach "patience" and the "intelligence" of signing lots of lesser-lights with barely recognizeable names and hope they pay off.

7 minutes ago, Zontar said:

They were expecting big splashes and big names today but now they have to preach "patience" and the "intelligence" of signing lots of lesser-lights with barely recognizeable names and hope they pay off.

They lost out on a couple big names and are lacking their wounds. If they had landed Laurent at 250k I wonder if that would have been Tamanesque 

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

This isn't Taman like signings.... we didn't over spend by 50 - 100 to get a short term player...  we didn't lose any draft picks either and most of the guys we signed are young.  

And no reports of huge signing bonuses and deferred payments either which were Taman's trademarks.

What a phenomenal day - Walters basically replacing underachievers with proven talent.  Regardless of passport, Medlock for Lirim is a huge upgrade.  DL has improved with the addition of Shologan and Cumming.  Can't wait to see what Westerman can do with some real pressure up the middle.

Lapo's playbook plus legit playmakers like A. Harris, Dressler and Smith hopefully means a resurgent Drew Willy.  It's so early and yet I have real hope that the fans at IGF will have a lot to cheer for this upcoming season.

Walters hasn't been like Taman today or any other time. While he made big moves today they were moves made to fill holes. And knows there is more work to be done. If he were Taman we wouldn't have any draft picks at all. Walter does have to do better in the draft though.

What Chris Jones has done in Sask reminds me of what Kelly did here gutted nearly all areas of the team, even parts that are not broken. Funny thing about the rider forum posts is they are talking about picking up some big names like Liang, Capicotti, and Grymes. Lol

Edited by Dragon37
Added content

1 hour ago, Zontar said:

Whatever Jones does is the absolute right move in the mind of rider fans. They have absolutely no opinions of their own. 

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

This will be the battle of can you buy a team and win in Wpg vs can you build a team and win in Sask? 

All the more joy when the Bombers sweep the Riders this year.  The familiar name signings so far are going to go along way to marketing the club and selling tickets as well.  After last year's debacle they had to go big.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Id hardly consider 8 players (counting dressler) buying a team.  I guess its yet to be seen how much of an improvement it will be but, 2 ni starteing caliber players in harris & shologan, upgrade in kicking, upgrade at offense all around including play calling, help on the DL. Its hard not to like whats been done.  Well except for macho harris, but ill chalk that up as a gag gift sort of move

Personally, I don't give a flying rat's butt what the watermelon heads in Saskatchewan or some hack sportswriter in Calgary think about our free agency signings.  Nor do I care what mutterings Hufnagel has about today either.  All I care about is that the team gets better, and from what Walters did today, I'm thinking that it has.

Edited by WBBFanWest

My FA Day # 2 Wishlist

DE Capicciotti or DE Okpalaugo or DE Hickman

WR Fuller

DB Parks or DB Agnew

OT Figueroa or OT Adcock

Optional:

LB Reed or LB Jones

OL Norman or OL Mitchell ( IIRC, Walters was a fan of him during his draft year )

DT Oramasionwu ( I just like him back in Blue&Gold ;) )

RB Volny ( I just like him back in Blue&Gold ;) )

Edited by M.O.A.B.

2 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

Walters hasn't been like Taman today or any other time. While he made big moves today they were moves made to fill holes. And knows there is more work to be done. If he were Taman we wouldn't have any draft picks at all. Walter does have to do better in the draft though.

What Chris Jones has done in Sask reminds me of what Kelly did here gutted nearly all areas of the team, even parts that are not broken. Funny thing about the rider forum posts is they are talking about picking up some big names like Liang, Capicotti, and Grymes. Lol

Laing and Capicotti both are very good and would be definitely a boost in talent for them.   I'd rather they both go elsewhere.  

Gutting the defense made 100% sense to me.... Pretty much any name DB is an improvement and Sherritt is still out there... so still time for them to improve

Isn't Laing trying for NFL?

Grymes would make us forget Washington ever existed.  One of the best in the league imo... but he must end up in Sask

Alex Hall might still have a season in him...

Would love to see Cappicotti, Sholo, Westerman, Harris, Kohlert, Goossen, Chungh as our NIs

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Isn't Laing trying for NFL?

Grymes would make us forget Washington ever existed.  One of the best in the league imo... but he must end up in Sask

Alex Hall might still have a season in him...

Would love to see Cappicotti, Sholo, Westerman, Harris, Kohlert, Goossen, Chungh as our NIs

Pretty sure Grymes is looking for NFL opportunities right now.

36 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Would love to see ... Sholo, Westerman, Harris, Kohlert, Goossen, Chungh as our NIs

Consider: this time last year, Rory Kohlert and Chris Greaves were our best national players.

However these Blue Bombers turn out, you can't say that Walters isn't working this thing hard.