Free Agency 2016...

Mr Dee

Target Date for Free Agency Feb. 9th 12 noon ET - 11 am Winnipeg - 9 am Kelowna 

The Bombers will lead into the pre-draft weekend with a press conference tomorrow, February 5th, at 10:00am to discuss Free Agency as it pertains to the Blue Bombers.

Below is a list of the Bomber's free agents:

Capers, Selvish    OL    International    

Gibson, Thaddeus    DL    International    

Hajrullahu, Lirim    K    National    

Marshall, Cameron    RB    International    

Newman, Graig    DB     National  

Pontbriand, Michel-Pierre    FB     National    

Washington, Demond    DB    International

Moore, Nick    WR    International 

Shell, Lin-J    DB    International    

Walker, Chevon    RB    International    

Extended :

Daniels, Jace    OL     International    Extended (12/14/15)

Nichols, Matt    QB    International    Extended (01/05/16)

Richardson, Louie    DL    National    Extended (01/25/16)

We already know N. Moore won't be extended, and I've assumed Walker and Shell are gonzo, so that leaves 7 players, including 3 Non-imports. How many of these 7 guys will be announced as re-signed by Walters tomorrow?

Any guesses or half wishes, preferences?

Marshall? Hajrullahu? Pontbriand? Newman? What about Washington?

Edited by Mr Dee

37 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

I don't see them extending anyone on that list especially not Washington since they replaced him with the equally ineffective Harris.

I don't see them calling a press conference to announce that they have nothing to announce. That wouldn't make an ounce of sense..

2 hours ago, Blueballz said:

Washington at times was one of our better defenders. Not to mention arguably our best punt returner.

Last year he had 67 tackles, 1 sack and 3 INTs which anyway you cut it is pretty good.

Besides INTs and Pass Defenses, DB stats are misleading.  The best DBs are the guys that the offence never throws towards.  Therefore they'll have low tackle numbers in the passing game.

5 hours ago, ALuCsRED said:

Besides INTs and Pass Defenses, DB stats are misleading.  The best DBs are the guys that the offence never throws towards.  Therefore they'll have low tackle numbers in the passing game.

yeah DB stats can be misleading. You can have a high number of tackles cause your guy is always open, or because you're just making plays. And the same can be said for low number of tackles. Washington has had a number of years to step up, and I just don't think he has. The potential we all saw when he first signed just hasn't materialized. Saying that, I hope he's at least back at TC.

Along with him, I would want LH, Marshall, Newman and  Pontbriand, I really love the way Pontbriand plays. But I wouldn't be shocked if he's not brought back.

Have to keep Marshall. One of the only guys on the offence that did anything last season, and was full effort every play he was in for.

I've always liked Washington.... fast, strong, good at covering, puts in a good effort.

Edited by Mark F

7 hours ago, ALuCsRED said:

True but in his case he made a lot of tackles because he was good in the run game and chasing down receivers after they broke away from other tacklers.

My guess is they haven't signed him yet because they have FA's they are trying to allocate funds for, not because they don't want him.

12 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Below is a list of the Bomber's free agents:

Capers, Selvish    OL    International    

Gibson, Thaddeus    DL    International    

Hajrullahu, Lirim    K    National    

Marshall, Cameron    RB    International    

Newman, Graig    DB     National  

Pontbriand, Michel-Pierre    FB     National    

Washington, Demond    DB    International

Moore, Nick    WR    International 

Shell, Lin-J    DB    International    

Walker, Chevon    RB    International    

Guys I'd like back: Marshall, Lirim, Pointbriand

I could go wither way: Moore, Newman, Washington

No Thanks: Capers, Gibson, Shell, Walker

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

yeah DB stats can be misleading. You can have a high number of tackles cause your guy is always open, or because you're just making plays. And the same can be said for low number of tackles. Washington has had a number of years to step up, and I just don't think he has. The potential we all saw when he first signed just hasn't materialized. Saying that, I hope he's at least back at TC.

Along with him, I would want LH, Marshall, Newman and  Pontbriand, I really love the way Pontbriand plays. But I wouldn't be shocked if he's not brought back.

What? He plays the tougher half back spot and does it quite well. He's all over the field and he does his job well. The trouble here is people will focus only on the plays where he got beat, but guess what, the top receivers (who Washington was always covering because that's how the coaches viewed him) will get open and make plays on everyone. If we lose Washington mark my words we will miss him.