Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

Hasnt Wally always been like that though?  Employ them while they hit their prime, then cut them at or near the end of that prime, give or take a few years left in the tank, but doing so before they get real long in the tooth. I'd imagine this is partially to allow said player to be able to find work elsewhere n get paid before their tank is permantely on E

** If harris signs here, id like to think of it like when Clermont left BC to join the riders where hes from. But id expect vastly better results from harris or else his brand of Hickory Smoked Harris chips will never...EVER see the light of day at your local Co-Op

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

You are right when Wally thinks you are done he is done with you. Simply a business decision on his part. I remember having that exact conversation with Wally when he released Charles Roberts. It will be interesting to see how many teams will line up to take a run at both Harris and Messam.

When Wally's done with a player they are usually done period. Every now and then, they have a couple more seasons in them but you won't become a good GM betting against Buono.

Harris has been a bit of a flake. One game last year he didn't even shower or take off his equipment after a game he just left the stadium because the Lions didn't give him the ball often enough for his liking. He said something like 'Why should I shower when I didn't break a sweat?'. Wally and Harris had a couple of short spats last year about playing time , number of carries and lack of contract negotiations so it doesn't surprise me at all that Harris didn't get a contract offer from BC.

The problem with a Canadian back starting is what happens to the ratio when he gets injured?  I understand what Wally's saying that it's easier to make the tailback position American than it is to be Canadian. That could be why Calgary hasn't signed Jerome Messam. The Stamps may be thinking it's just easier to sign American backs than to rely on a Canadian one.

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

The problem with a Canadian back starting is what happens to the ratio when he gets injured?  I understand what Wally's saying that it's easier to make the tailback position American than it is to be Canadian. That could be why Calgary hasn't signed Jerome Messam. The Stamps may be thinking it's just easier to sign American backs than to rely on a Canadian one.

You plug and play somewhere else.

Let's say you start Harris, 3 NI OL, Westerman, Bucknor and Kohlert. Harris gets hurt? Put in a Canadian receiver.

Easy.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

You plug and play somewhere else.

Let's say you start Harris, 3 NI OL, Westerman, Bucknor and Kohlert. Harris gets hurt? Put in a Canadian receiver.

Easy.

Easy, but a huge drop off in talent. You also have to have an import RB around to put in who'd have to be a DI at the very least or else you'd have to replace the NI RB with the FB or go to a 6 receiver set for the rest of the game.

11 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Easy, but a huge drop off in talent. You also have to have an import RB around to put in who'd have to be a DI at the very least or else you'd have to replace the NI RB with the FB or go to a 6 receiver set for the rest of the game.

You can't avoid signing a Canadian because there's a huge drop off in talent anytime he gets hurt. There's a huge drop off in talent any time anyone gets hurt, that's why the starters start and the backups don't.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

You can't avoid signing a Canadian because there's a huge drop off in talent anytime he gets hurt. There's a huge drop off in talent any time anyone gets hurt, that's why the starters start and the backups don't.

Sure, but it's easier to replace a player who plays a position where more than one of them on the field. There are several receivers, DB's, OL etc. There's only 1 RB and no... I don't think the FB is another RB in the CFL. You can back up multiple players with a single guy in most cases. You can't do that with the RB.

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Sure, but it's easier to replace a player who plays a position where more than one of them on the field. There are several receivers, DB's, OL etc. There's only 1 RB and no... I don't think the FB is another RB in the CFL. You can back up multiple players with a single guy in most cases. You can't do that with the RB.

You're looking at this in a fashion that is far too linear.  There would be more than one tailback on the roster.  You can replace the NI with a NI at any spot on the field on that side of the ball, assuming you're starting the minimum of 7. More flexibility on at least one side of the ball if you start 8.

All boils down to needing good NI's available all over the field, not just OL, and honestly given the crop of OL around at this juncture, I'd rather try my luck with all NI skill guys and an all import OL than vice-versa.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

Sounds like Harris found out about this over social media, That's pretty classy of Buono and the Lions. 

Not sure why some people look at Buono like he is teflon or something, he has his flaws and they are huge, he's been the one constant there in BC for quite a while now and that team really hasn't done much of anything recently. I don't think he's this god that some make him out to be. And i think recently, it's been proven that perhaps the game is starting to pass him by. Seems a lot of BC fans on twitter think the real problem with the Lions is indeed Wally Buono. 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Sounds like Harris found out about this over social media, That's pretty classy of Buono and the Lions. 

Not sure why some people look at Buono like he is teflon or something, he has his flaws and they are huge, he's been the one constant there in BC for quite a while now and that team really hasn't done much of anything recently. I don't think he's this god that some make him out to be. And i think recently, it's been proven that perhaps the game is starting to pass him by. Seems a lot of BC fans on twitter think the real problem with the Lions is indeed Wally Buono. 

He was definitely one of top guys in the league for a long stretch not even debateable. You dont have to like the way he does business, but from the late 90's to mid 2000's tops for sure. However he may have or is reaching his best before date, or just getting outshined by the other teams, (Huff and Austin come to mind).  seem like when he stepped away from the sidelines to be the GM only, the lions have been average to worse.  

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

while id personally lean towards the not wanting/needing him side of the opinion, I wouldnt have a problem if he came back.  Yes he ran his mouth on a twitter a few times right before he played us,  but he also backed it up everytime.  I can appreciate/tolerate that more then someone running their mouth then disappearing when its time to put up or shut up