Henoc Muamba signs with Als

gbill2004

@CFL_News: A source said @HenocMuamba's deal is only for the rest of this season and next. #CFL #Bombers #AlsMTL via @PentonKirk

Must be an opt out to try NFL again after next season.

What, then he does the tour again?

I'm beginning to see reasons why the Bombers ended their interest, if this source is for real.

I'm a little sour with this news, but not at the Bombers mind you. I will say to all of those who are pumping up Sam Hurl and saying Muamba wouldn't have improved us equally for the extra money we would pay: Is Sam Hurl a candidate for Most Outstanding Canadian in the CFL or have any chance at being considered by NFL teams for a spot? Because that's the comparable to Muamba right now. Think about how far Hurl is from that and that should say how much better a player the Als now have.

But I'll say that there is some bitterness towards Muamba in this corner. Hey, do what's best for your career, but when he said he'd come to Winnipeg as part of his "negotiation tour", then blew us off for a supposed workout with an NFL team that never happens, and signs with Montreal 7 days later without ever re-establishing contact with the Bombers, it says to me that the club would have talked contract but he was never ever interested in returning here. Disappointing since we let him out of his contract early to pursue the NFL in the first place, on top of employing his brother to keep him here when Cauchy had no business being on a football field. I could have done without the dog and pony show and empty promises of including Winnipeg in the negotiation process.

He had a work out with the Packers... I'm pretty sure that's why he cancelled his trip here... however I do agree that he did slight us a bit...

Nobody has trouble with the concept but as fans, we are allowed to feel a bit slighted when a guy signs elsewhere. Fact is, we drafted him, we developed him, we let him go early to try the NFL... and his way of saying thanks, which is perfectly fine was to sign with another team.

WE ALL GET IT. Some of us just don't like the way it turned out. 

Interesting that the contract info yesterday said 2 more years after this season, now it's only 1? Does that mean the 1st source was wrong, which means the salary numbers are probably wrong too, or is the second source wrong.

At the time that info was reported it was thought he was signing with the Eskimos.

And if you read the tweet I posted from the Als official feed, they say 2 years.

Nobody has trouble with the concept but as fans, we are allowed to feel a bit slighted when a guy signs elsewhere. Fact is, we drafted him, we developed him, we let him go early to try the NFL... and his way of saying thanks, which is perfectly fine was to sign with another team.

WE ALL GET IT. Some of us just don't like the way it turned out. 

Yea good on him for taking care of himself and the people close to him, I mean that. Football is very short term for most of these guys. 

The however part, purely from the 'I'm a HardCore Bomber fan and everyone else can suck it' mentality, is my guilty pleasure would be in three games Henoc, modifying a page from the Michael Sam play book,  announces on Twitter "I never really wanted to comeback to the CFL anyways". I joke of course.  

It would have been a good deal classier if Muamba had said to the Bombers that his first preference was to sign with Montreal or possibly Edmonton due to family ties instead of teasing. That would have left the fans here with a better taste in their mouths. Its his life and career and he can go where he wants but treating Walters with respect would have been nice.

The Bombers were the ones who backed out on him! The Bombers saw the asking price and said "no thanks"...so they had their chance to sign him. It's not like he turned down their final offer after much negotiating. I mean, c'mon, this butt-hurt is getting ridiculous....

Definitely expect Henoc to get another NFL shot, he is good enough to be there.

Nothing but good things to say about Henoc.

if his contract is next year plus option he'll be 28 nobody in the NFL is looking for a 28 year old special teams player and that's all he is

Here is something that a lot of fans tend to forget.... The huge free agent deals are often the ones that teams regret the most. You get a great player for sure, but he eats up a large chunk of your cap space and if he doesn't live up to the very high expectations it becomes a lightning rod for criticism. Generally the best free agent deals are the under the radar ones where you snag a guy on the verge of breaking out and get good value for money. Let's not worry about Muamba too much, we're getting good play from our linebackers in my opinion for a lot cheaper than if Muamba was here. Would have loved to have him here, but he's in Montreal and so be it. 

Interesting that the contract info yesterday said 2 more years after this season, now it's only 1? Does that mean the 1st source was wrong, which means the salary numbers are probably wrong too, or is the second source wrong.

At the time that info was reported it was thought he was signing with the Eskimos.

And if you read the tweet I posted from the Als official feed, they say 2 years.

One of those "2 years" might include remainder of this year.

The Bombers were the ones who backed out on him! The Bombers saw the asking price and said "no thanks"...so they had their chance to sign him. It's not like he turned down their final offer after much negotiating. I mean, c'mon, this butt-hurt is getting ridiculous....

Did they back out though?  Lawless tweeted that Muamba's agent called a few teams to tell them they were out of the running.  He didn't mention any team names specifically, just that it was down to Edmonton, Ottawa & Montreal.

It means this season and next - just like you posted before.

Definitely expect Henoc to get another NFL shot, he is good enough to be there.

Nothing but good things to say about Henoc.

if his contract is next year plus option he'll be 28 nobody in the NFL is looking for a 28 year old special teams player and that's all he is

There are no option years anymore. A 2 year contract signed now means this year and next season.

Would have liked to see him here but... the D is not the issue here... the O is. I'm kind of surprised he went to the als tho... strong D but not a very good O either. I'm honestly not sure how he makes a difference in Montreal

I'd like to know what Walters offered him and how far apart the two offers were. I'd also like to know if he chose Montreal because of money or some other reason.

What does it matter?   Don't overlook that 7 other GM's either passed on him or couldn't close the deal either. 

I suppose.

It means this season and next - just like you posted before.

Not what they said on TSN today. This year plus 2