Henoc Muamba signs with Als

gbill2004

I okay with this. I like direction of where our defence is going and we can field a much better player at the position that Muamba would have taken with an American and pay half that amount.

Sure he is good, but as a ratio buster there on defence..meh....

That money could be better spent in a position that would produce more substantial amounts of benefit....0-line...big play receiver and or as a big splash for the biggest free agent pool in the pond next year. 

I agree too...Harris won't be re-upping this season with B.C and I bet we can land him in free agency here for next season. Having him and Marshall together "all" the time would be crazy good. Both are excellent receivers and a defence would have a hard time keying on either one for the run, or the outlet/flats in passing. Either one could be in the back field at any given time and other in that Drury type role.

A muamba won't put us over the edge as legit, would be nice but with a competent offence and another force on the D-line this defence can win games. We need a legit playmaker on offence or another bigtime o-line beast more than Muamba

I've liked Hurl from day one and I wouldn't want him to be released in favour of Muamba but I guess it's just confusing for me when I look at Hamilton and Ottawa stockpiling 7-8 high end Canadian defensive linemen but for some reason we don't have room for 2 good Canadian linebackers.

I think you're misusing the term high end if you think either of those teams have eight of them at one position group.

Unfortunate for us, but hardly surprising at the same time. We have bigger issues to take care of.

I've heard this from a few different posters and I could not dissagree more.

One of this team’s greatest needs is better National, (Non-import), talent.How many star national players do we have on this team after Westerman?This team is lacking elite national talent and yet they are willing to drop out of the running for Muamba? (Again, that's assuming that it is the Bombers choice to drop out.) It just doesn’t make sense to me.

The Bombers need to try and find 7 elite nationals to start and then fill in the gaps with internationals everywhere else.  That's because it's easier to find elite internationals in every other position. So it doesn't matter where those nationals play because the gaps can be filled with internationals everywhere else.

I agree... I love to see Harris in more of a slotback/RB role... just list him as an "offensive weapon"...

Also someone mentioned they think the Esks will also sign Kelvin Muamba... just curious, what position does he play and why was he never in the draft?

That was me ... WR - he was draft eligible in 2015 but went undrafted. Just a hunch they'll give him a deal too.

I agree... I love to see Harris in more of a slotback/RB role... just list him as an "offensive weapon"...

Also someone mentioned they think the Esks will also sign Kelvin Muamba... just curious, what position does he play and why was he never in the draft?

I believe Kelvin attended the Edmonton Regionals but not invited to the main camp.

I think it's more a case of them viewing Henoc as a luxury at this point.

Unbeknownst to a lot of us, Sam Hurl has actually become a pretty good MLB. He plays well within our system and probably doesn't get enough credit. For us to add Henoc was something we could do, but I'm sure we probably capped out our budget at some point.

Again, I have to disagree with your statement that Hurl is playing well. (It seems like I am disagreeing a lot in this thread…lol)

I understand that I am very much in the minority here, but based on what I have witnessed, Hurl is not playing well.Based on what I have witnessed, he just doesn’t have the talent.

I have been keeping an eye on Hurl for the last few games, and for the game against Calgary when the defense was on the field I was focusing on Hurl.I wanted to see if maybe he had improved.

What I saw in the Calgary game was not good.Hurl’s biggest problem is that the second he gets engaged with a lineman, (or a fullback), he is finished.He gets eaten up by blocks and ends up 5 or 10 yards down the field by the time he is free. If he makes a tackle, which is rare for him, it’s 5 or 10 yards down the field.

When he is playing gap control, which actually wasn’t as often as I thought it would be, and the run is to his gap, he gets blocked and the defense gets gashed for a huge run.

When he is free to slide down the line of scrimmage and follow the flow of the offense, he usually ends up over running the play.

Again, I understand that I am in the minority here, but based on what I saw last game, Hurl has not really improved.He is still a liability.

One area that he did a good job in was pass coverage.He gets good depth on his drops and that has allowed him to make some big hits in the middle of the field and to create some turnovers. So to be fair, he’s only a liability when it comes to run stopping.

Muamba would not have improved our playoff chances a great deal, so its a loss if he signs elsewhere, but not a disaster. As others have opined, our needs are the O-line and probably import receivers. Andrew Harris would be a real plus, and I don't think its unrealistic to see Winnipeg as a good option for him next year. That would be a welcome ratio-buster.

I'm a huge fan of Henoc Muamba....as a player and who he was off the field in the community. But with that said, they're talking about a lot of money that could be spent better, I think. If they'd done it, I'd be cool with that, but as others have said, I'm not all that torn up about him signing elsewhere (bonus if it's an East team like the Als!)

Nothing but respect for Henoc and wish him the best of luck. As others have said, Hurl has been getting better all the time, our LB corps is our best asset and we could use that money in other spots that are more important...