Marc Trestman to the Riders in 2016?

gbill2004

So what happens to the CIS program? For many of those kids playing in the CFL is a dream. That whole program would die. Somehow once you get a considerable American influence in any program it eventually becomes an American property. They would most likely want to control the CBA and the rule book. Further if fans are given a US brand league to watch, why waste time and not watch the real show?

I personally could not accept that even if at times I complain about some of our Canadians. Nothing too much wrong with the league, just our team.

So what happens to the CIS program? For many of those kids playing in the CFL is a dream. That whole program would die. Somehow once you get a considerable American influence in any program it eventually becomes an American property. They would most likely want to control the CBA and the rule book. Further if fans are given a US brand league to watch, why waste time and not watch the real show?

I personally could not accept that even if at times I complain about some of our Canadians. Nothing too much wrong with the league, just our team.

I'm not lobbying for the end of Canadians in the CFL or anything, but I don't think CIS would die.  It may diminish in interest, but it would continue on.

CIS currently has basketball, curling, hockey, soccer, football, swimming, track & field, volleyball, wrestling. 

There is little to no professional opportunities in most of those sports.  The cream of the crop of the CIS could continue on to Olympics in those, just like the cream of the crop in CIS football could make it to the CFL / NFL.

I just want to see the best players play so I wouldn't have any problems removing the NI starters rule. The CFL is the CFL because of the rules, not because Johnny Canuck pulls on a jersey and runs down the field on special teams. There's a huge problem for all teams to find 7 NI starters and most NI's are only on the field because they are given the jobs, not because they earned them.

I don't believe it would affect the CIS at all. The best CIS players want to play in the NFL. Those players who want and deserve a pro football contract would still want to play, even if there weren't 200 guaranteed jobs available in the CFL. Most CIS players will never see the field in any pro league anyway.

If I recall, it is actually a legal issue in the States.  US employment laws wouldn't allow them to mandate a number of jobs going to non Americans.

I believe it falls under the "Dey tuk er jerbs!" laws.

terk deerrr jeeerrrrbs!

derk er jawbs!

*rabble*rabble*rabble*

I have been advocating for years that they should change the ratios (5 starters and 15 dressed is my suggestion)... especially if they ever want to expand to 10 teams... but I would not favour it entirely abolishing the ratio...

I think it would really cause more turnover in rosters and we would become even more of a feeder league to the NFL.

If you didn't need Canadians, then there would be no need for the draft.  There are way too many American players for there to be a semblance of an import draft.

So now when you have a losing season, you don't even get a first round pick the next year as a "consolation" prize.   There would be very little trading, because all you are really trading now is neg list players.

Experienced vets would still be a valued commodity but  when was the last time an import was the main piece in a trade?   QBs would still be a valued commodity, but why would you trade either of those guys away?  The only thing another team could give you is a neg list player (which theoretically you should be able to find a bunch of equivalent neg list guys out there) or another experienced vet.  But that rarely happens even today.

With the abundance of Americans, I think you would see continuous turnover in the bottom half of the roster, and I'm already finding it difficult to identify with players on this team.  Though that could be because we suck.

Matt Nichols for a 7th rounder?  :P

But seriously, I agree with most of what you're saying here...

I just want to see the best players play so I wouldn't have any problems removing the NI starters rule. The CFL is the CFL because of the rules, not because Johnny Canuck pulls on a jersey and runs down the field on special teams. There's a huge problem for all teams to find 7 NI starters and most NI's are only on the field because they are given the jobs, not because they earned them.

I don't believe it would affect the CIS at all. The best CIS players want to play in the NFL. Those players who want and deserve a pro football contract would still want to play, even if there weren't 200 guaranteed jobs available in the CFL. Most CIS players will never see the field in any pro league anyway.

Nope I disagree. A big part of the appeal is the Canadian players. Not just because I am Canadian and patriotic but because of the added roster intrigue. How do you juggle the roster in order to field the best possible lineup? How often have we all had that discussion? Remove the Canadians and it just becomes the B-League to the NFL, for what would really amount to a very slight improvement in the skill level.

Nope I disagree. A big part of the appeal is the Canadian players. Not just because I am Canadian and patriotic but because of the added roster intrigue. How do you juggle the roster in order to field the best possible lineup? How often have we all had that discussion? Remove the Canadians and it just becomes the B-League to the NFL, for what would really amount to a very slight improvement in the skill level.

Absolutely agree.  The thing that separates the good teams from the bad in this league are the Canadians .. and it's not just the ratio breakers but the lunch pail guys and how they are used to build your roster.   It doesn't always have to be about the line .. you see successful teams building their rosters with NIs at skilled positions .. and we have, over the years, drafted guys at RB .. WR .. etc .. our problem is that we've never effectively used any of those guys .. or, in the case of our last two WR prospects, became more enamored with potential and athleticism as opposed to that person's ability to make an impact.

The CFL is already a B league for the NFL. Our best players, NI or not, go there as soon as they can because they money's hugely better and they're playing the best competition in the world. The skill level would rise considerably, not slightly, especially with 1 year contracts as NFL quality players would take the chance to show what they've got in the CFL for another chance at the NFL.

There aren't enough good NI's to go around now. Reducing or eliminating the ratio would get rid of that problem and would end up costing teams less too because NI's suck up more than their share of the SMS. 

I'm sure the CFL would lose some fans if they eliminated the NI rule, but I doubt they would if we simply reduced it.

The CFL is already a B league for the NFL. Our best players, NI or not, go there as soon as they can because they money's hugely better and they're playing the best competition in the world. The skill level would rise considerably, not slightly, especially with 1 year contracts as NFL quality players would take the chance to show what they've got in the CFL for another chance at the NFL.

There aren't enough good NI's to go around now. Reducing or eliminating the ratio would get rid of that problem and would end up costing teams less too because NI's suck up more than their share of the SMS. 

I'm sure the CFL would lose some fans if they eliminated the NI rule, but I doubt they would if we simply reduced it.

It wouldn't cost any less.  All teams spend to the same cap.  The way the money is distributed may change, but teams would spend the exact same on salaries.

It wouldn't cost any less.  All teams spend to the same cap.  The way the money is distributed may change, but teams would spend the exact same on salaries.

By costing less I mean getting better players for less money. The number of US players who want to extend their playing days after college is huge. The number of Canadian players who can extend their playing days after college is very small. That's why NI's, especially starting grade or better, get huge paychecks (In CFL Terms).

I'm totally against that idea. I like our NI ratio and the draft process and the emergence of young Canadian prospects.

I don't like the idea of athletes making choices other than playing football if there are less spots on CFL rosters for them.

I don't like the fact that Import players can, and will leave after one year.

I don't want this league to become a 'feeder' league.

Reducing the NI ratio now would lead to more reductions in the future. That would be inevitable. More reductions lead to less football interest at the college level. You get the picture.

I like our brand of football. Maybe some of the signing requirements and contracts can be adjusted - such as failed NFL tryouts return to their drafted teams, but 2 less roster spots doesn't interest me.

Fix the contracts, work on the officiating, but leave my NIs alone.

as lots of people said before… need to create an opening for Canadian Quarterbacks that doesn't affect roster numbers ratios and juggling.

It's stupid that this league has no room for Canadian QB.

Is Yantz really worse than every backup we've seen in the CFL this year? I doubt it.

I would like this ahead of anything else.

Leave the Canadian players alone, If i was to make a list of things the CFL needs to fix, the ratio is at the bottom.There are so many other issues they need to address first... 

Just off the top of my head...

Reffing, The contract issues, perhaps RFA type status for rookies, Reffing, Reffing, Reffing, cutting back on penalties, Reffing, let's see, did i mention the Reffing? 

Better protection for the QB but again that goes back to reffing...

You take the Canadians out of the CFL and you might as well call it the NFL really.

Man, think of the kids in CIS who grow up dreaming to play in the CFL... all these little peewee kids playing out there, the kids playing at KE or Elmwood or St Johns or wherever, they would have no options at all, they'd be playing for no reason, the CIS football programs would all DIE...It's just not a good idea to remove the Canadian from the Canadian football league. 

I never played football growing up, mainly cuz none of my friends did and i wasn't a big  fan of football when i was a young kid, i player soccer tho, i was pretty good i'd say, played for Kilcona and teams like that... as good as it gets really in Winnipeg, I quit because i realized after playing for Kilcona, where would i play next if i wanted to continue playing soccer? 

You take the Canadian out of the CFL and then it really does just become a feeder league to the NFL and nobody wants that.

Yeah a few guys per year go chase their NFL dreams but lots of guys come up here and make a career out of it. 

Just insane to remove the Canadian content, I'd be ok with Lowering the amount of Canadians that you need to start and if you add another team, you just might have too but removing the ratio all together... IT WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN. 

Reffing is a big problem that can be solved with more money and more training.

Better protection for the QB's isn't a reffing problem. It's an O line vs D line problem. As 3 or 4 NI's are 'hidden' on the O line, it's also a NI talent problem.

Removing the ratio or greatly reducing it doesn't equal no NI's in the league. Kids are dreaming of playing for the big bucks of the NFL or their home town team if they can't make the CFL. Removing or reducing the ratio wouldn't change the dream. For most, it's just a dream anyway.

as lots of people said before… need to create an opening for Canadian Quarterbacks that doesn't affect roster numbers ratios and juggling.

Is Yantz really worse than every backup we've seen in the CFL this year? I doubt it.

Every GM in the league disagrees with you. If he were a CFL calibre QB he would be on a roster or PR somewhere. He is not being blackballed because he is Canadian.

Reffing is a big problem that can be solved with more money and more training.

Better protection for the QB's isn't a reffing problem. It's an O line vs D line problem. As 3 or 4 NI's are 'hidden' on the O line, it's also a NI talent problem.

Removing the ratio or greatly reducing it doesn't equal no NI's in the league. Kids are dreaming of playing for the big bucks of the NFL or their home town team if they can't make the CFL. Removing or reducing the ratio wouldn't change the dream. For most, it's just a dream anyway.

There's no reason why so many OL should be NI's when there are not enough of them up to the task of playing in the CFL.  That just poor management that is taking far too long to adjust to the reality of the expanded rosters and more DI's.

Every GM in the league disagrees with you. If he were a CFL calibre QB he would be on a roster or PR somewhere. He is not being blackballed because he is Canadian.

Every GM in the league has backup QBs that shouldn't be on a roster or PR somewhere...because they aren't very good at all, so, that doesn't make your statement about Yantz any more true. QBs don't count against the roster do they?, so there's no incentive to keep an NI QB stashed somewhere?

Yantz can't be any worse than some of those bozos that we've seen.

Every GM in the league has backup QBs that shouldn't be on a roster or PR somewhere...because they aren't very good at all, so, that doesn't make your statement about Yantz any more true. QBs don't count against the roster do they?, so there's no incentive to keep an NI QB stashed somewhere?

Yantz can't be any worse than some of those bozos that we've seen.

You would think... but you also have to remember Yantz was very good against CIS competition... the talent gap between CIS and CFL is far more significant than NCAA to CFL....