The Day Early Game Day Thread - TOR @ WPG

Lots of chincy calls tonight too. Leggett on the kicker... didn't touch him. Hold on Bryant late in the game. Couple missed face masks. Couple missed high hits on Marve too. Couple weeks ago they called PI on a run play against us. This week they pick the flag up cuz it was determined to be a run play. Not blaming refs. Just thought there were some weak calls and non calls. Both ways for both teams

Cont

Lots of chincy calls tonight too. Leggett on the kicker... didn't touch him. Hold on Bryant late in the game. Couple missed face masks. Couple missed high hits on Marve too. Couple weeks ago they called PI on a run play against us. This week they pick the flag up cuz it was determined to be a run play. Not blaming refs. Just thought there were some weak calls and non calls. Both ways for both teams

Leggett's contacting the kicker really bothered me because the block held him and threw him into his own kicker

The Ref saying no flag cause it was a running play was BS to the extreme. If you can call plays that occur 40 yards away on the other side of the field that have no bearing on the play, no way you can pick the flag up.

The last call by Marcel was awful.

Agreed on both points

Can see the flag being called back on a running play. The real kicker was the screen pass. How do you justify that?

I don't think that one was a PI flag. I suspect it was blocking before the receiver catches the ball, which is picked up if the ball is caught behind the LOS.

Can see the flag being called back on a running play. The real kicker was the screen pass. How do you justify that?

I don't think that one was a PI flag. I suspect it was blocking before the receiver catches the ball, which is picked up if the ball is caught behind the LOS.

Yup, I'm sure that was the call.

Bass had a really good game same with Westerman. Washington was pretty weak. Other than that the d played not to bad. Special teams on the put return was terrible. Offence was not bad , not good either.

Why did O'Shea put them in that position?

With a 20-14 lead the Bombers are stopped on offense deep in their own end. O'Shea sends LH out to punt from his own end zone. Lirim out-kicks the coverage and the Argos bring the punt all the way to the house. Score: 21-20 Argos. The game is over at this point as the momentum shifts in Toronto's favour and the Bombers never score another point. 

Why doesn't O'Shea have LH take a safety giving up two points. The argos then can:

a. Scrimmage at their own 35-yard line,
b. kickoff from their own 35-yard line or,
c. Accept a kickoff from the 25-yard line of the team who conceded the safety
touch.

Either way, we preserve the lead at 20-16 and probably gain tremendous field position?

Isn't this another coaching blunder of epic proportions by O'Shea that proves he doesn't know what he is doing out there? Am I wrong about the safety?

Yes you are wrong.  The way the defense was playing there's no reason to give the safety.  Hajrullahu was kicking with a strong wind, should have been able to net 45 on that kick easy.  Hajrullahu hit a terrible punt in the middle of the field.  The goal is to put it between the numbers and the sideline.  Just a terrible kick, no coaching mistakes, unless you think we should get a better punter.

Held the best pass team in the league to 168 and there O to under 300 yards. There best outing of the year.

I've been pleased with the improved play of the D. I give Hall a lot of credit for tweaking things and getting things to work better. Too many soft zones for my liking still but progress is progress. 

I'd also like to personally apologize to Westerman for ragging on him early in the year, dude is playing ******* great football right now. 

Leggett gets flagged for being pushed into the kicker yet Marve was hit, late, high and low and not one flag......it's hard to stay a fan of this league.

Bass had a really good game same with Westerman. Washington was pretty weak. Other than that the d played not to bad. Special teams on the put return was terrible. Offence was not bad , not good either.

Why did O'Shea put them in that position?

With a 20-14 lead the Bombers are stopped on offense deep in their own end. O'Shea sends LH out to punt from his own end zone. Lirim out-kicks the coverage and the Argos bring the punt all the way to the house. Score: 21-20 Argos. The game is over at this point as the momentum shifts in Toronto's favour and the Bombers never score another point. 

Why doesn't O'Shea have LH take a safety giving up two points. The argos then can:

a. Scrimmage at their own 35-yard line,
b. kickoff from their own 35-yard line or,
c. Accept a kickoff from the 25-yard line of the team who conceded the safety
touch.

Either way, we preserve the lead at 20-16 and probably gain tremendous field position?

Isn't this another coaching blunder of epic proportions by O'Shea that proves he doesn't know what he is doing out there? Am I wrong about the safety?

Yes you are wrong.  The way the defense was playing there's no reason to give the safety.  Hajrullahu was kicking with a strong wind, should have been able to net 45 on that kick easy.  Hajrullahu hit a terrible punt in the middle of the field.  The goal is to put it between the numbers and the sideline.  Just a terrible kick, no coaching mistakes, unless you think we should get a better punter.

Exactly. And to boot (wow, I did a pun) he made an extremely weak attempt at tackling. He's got to make that tackle, I don't care he's the kicker, I'm sure he's been taught. Brutal.

Entertaining game to watch. For his first game as starter with us, Marve played well, really liked his involvement with the team, his energy, how he hung in the pocket knowing he's going to take a hit. Especially liked how he went over to LH after kicking a FG.

Cam Marshall seems to be a keeper.

As per JBR's point last week, our from four played really well.

Milt made an excellent point at half time about some players forgetting the basics of football in form tackling and blocking and more on wanting that sport centre highlight. Milt's my man.

As much as I loathe the Argo's, I got to say I'm a Kackert fan now. Loved how he told Sara O how he felt after the Bass hit and loved how he explained missing the team feeling when they score a TD. I'd take him on my team any day.

Keys to a win - Stellar D, mistake-free STs and a well managed game by OC and QB

Bloody 2 out of 3

For the Bombers to have won we said the D had to step up, and step up they did. 

Tor. rushing 108 yards - Winnipeg - 105 yards

Tor passing 168 yards - Winnipeg - 203 yards

Toronto 245 yards to 278 total

K. Bass 9 tackles - B. Johnson 6 tackles - Westerman, Hurl and Thomas each with a sack and nice pressure again.

(Westerman - what a find) 

Good, sound, aggressive play from the entire D.

The Defence did their job.

The Offence was a calculated, short-play themed O to give young Marve some options and let him do his thing…which he did pretty well for the most part. The  passing was spread out to 8 diff. players and the running game, besides Marve, used 2 guys. Again, not remarkable, but effective.

So, for all intents and purposes, the O did their job.

Lirim…his punting was awesome and his placekicking should have won the game for us. (ironic) That punt to the 1 yard line!! Then Jake Thomas, for the stuff and safety….good stuff.

The Bombers played a decent game in the circumstances, but made 2 mistakes. 2

The Bombers lost, in this game, because the Argos didn't make any mistakes that counted. 0

Sooner or later these brain cramps cannot be dismissed as happenstance and root causes have to identified.

Starts with H, ends in ajrullahu.  He's extremely inconsistent, especially as a punter.  He can hit a coffin corner kick and then 5 minutes later hit one right up the seam 25 yards away from where it needs to be.

Stoudermire has stunk too, although better this week in that he didn't have any backbreaking gaffes.  On the whole special teams has been pretty good otherwise.

I cant see that this was posted yet but I just read in the Sun that Marve was suffering from the stomach flu.  He was seen throwing up on the sidelines during the game.   I call that gutting (pun intended) it out.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/08/15/flu-bug-takes-bite-out-of-robert-marves-first-professional-start-with-bombers

Sooner or later these brain cramps cannot be dismissed as happenstance and root causes have to identified.

Starts with H, ends in ajrullahu.  He's extremely inconsistent, especially as a punter.  He can hit a coffin corner kick and then 5 minutes later hit one right up the seam 25 yards away from where it needs to be.

Stoudermire has stunk too, although better this week in that he didn't have any backbreaking gaffes.  On the whole special teams has been pretty good otherwise.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I cant see that this was posted yet but I just read in the Sun that Marve was suffering from the stomach flu.  He was seen throwing up on the sidelines during the game.   I call that gutting (pun intended) it out.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/08/15/flu-bug-takes-bite-out-of-robert-marves-first-professional-start-with-bombers

With all the liabilities we had, including Marve being sick, it was a credit to thedefence that we were still in the game as late as we were.

Honestly, I feel like with a healthy Drew Willy, that game isn't close... We left so many points on the board out there.. so many, Willy playing would have probably meant a Win for us easily. Our D played well enough to win... Marve played ok and for a guy making his first start showed potential but he did miss lots of throws out there... that one to denmark on the sidelines would have been a huge gain if he didn't float it so much. Willy plays and we win that game easily in my opinion. 

Brutal play call.but you can't score 5 pts in the second half and expect to win.

Seems MB can't/won't/doesn't know how to adjust in the 2nd half. How many times has our O come out, looked pretty good if not great only to slow down and then come to a complete stand still as the game goes on. I get that Defenses can and do adjust. But why doesn't the Offence adjust to them as well?