The Day Early Game Day Thread - TOR @ WPG

I think the early version of the replay rules we had were okay -- a limited number of challenges and a limited number of things that could be challenged -- ball placement, catch/no catch, fumble timing, etc.

It's the pass interference review that drives me crazy. It's killing the pace of the game. Every contested play in the endzone is challenged now and the outcome is a coin flip. I'd rather see occasional bad calls than see receivers and DBs waiting around to celebrate a big play.

I think the early version of the replay rules we had were okay -- a limited number of challenges and a limited number of things that could be challenged -- ball placement, catch/no catch, fumble timing, etc.

It's the pass interference review that drives me crazy. It's killing the pace of the game. Every contested play in the endzone is challenged now and the outcome is a coin flip. I'd rather see occasional bad calls than see receivers and DBs waiting around to celebrate a big play.

Pass interference in general is so poorly applied, inconsistent.  They need to make it really simple.  If a DB is not playing the ball, has no idea where the ball is, facing the other direction, any contact needs to be flagged.  If a DB is playing the ball, some contact should be allowed with consideration to timing of the arrival of the pass.

Obviously it's never going to be purely black and white, but they need to move the needle in that direction.

Guys like turner and peach deserve to get back in, its not like our dline has been anywhere near where it needs to be.

As for 8 canadians, with how often freak accidents happen i think it prudent to allow for flexability and shuffling due to said injuries...

IF our canadians are capable enough.. This is still up for debate.

Actually our DL has been excellent for the last month, all without Peach, a couple without Turner.  It was terrible with them.

Pass interference in general is so poorly applied, inconsistent.  They need to make it really simple.  If a DB is not playing the ball, has no idea where the ball is, facing the other direction, any contact needs to be flagged.  If a DB is playing the ball, some contact should be allowed with consideration to timing of the arrival of the pass.

I don't know if I'm just being optimistic, but it seemed to me the rulings were drifting more to this interpretation. Touching, when playing the ball and having a clue to what's happening in the game should be considered fair play.

Guys like turner and peach deserve to get back in, its not like our dline has been anywhere near where it needs to be.

As for 8 canadians, with how often freak accidents happen i think it prudent to allow for flexability and shuffling due to said injuries...

IF our canadians are capable enough.. This is still up for debate.

Actually our DL has been excellent for the last month, all without Peach, a couple without Turner.  It was terrible with them.

Westerman has been great.. Thomas has been playing above his level.. Run stopping has been much better but still room to improve imo.. Not much push up middle. I will say peach isnt going to make much of a difference but maybe this is last chance to earn his starters spot back. Well. Hopefully anyway.

For the record, i dont WANT peach in there. I do want turner in there but only to see if he can regain form.

CFL notes - 

- Three times this season, the Bombers have lost Willy mid-game. When he has been in the game the Bombers trail opponents by only a 121-133 scoring margin (-12). When he has been sidelined, Winnipeg has been outscored 77-19 (-58). In 2015, with Willy in charge of their offence, the Bombers have averaged 25.0 yards per drive, without him that average drops by 59% to just 15.3 yards per drive (23 total possessions). 

Ha - this will all change this Friday!!

Last week, Mike O’Shea became the first head coach in 2015 to get a DPI call overturned by challenge. The previous three DPIs called and challenged were NOT overturned. In 2014, 6 DPI calls were challenged and only two were successful.

Last week, Winnipeg rebounded strongly in the second half and stopped Hamilton’s offence cold. They did not allow a TD by the Ticats’ offence and limited them to just 100 net yards and only 6 first downs.

The Bombers drew only 5 penalties last week and that is a 2015 CFL-team low by any club. It is the lowest single-game penalty total by Winnipeg since they had just 4 calls on Oct 18/14 vs Calgary. By week of late, their penalty total has dropped from a season-high of 18, down to 10 and then just 5 last week.

Toronto has won 8 of the last 10 meetings but the 2014 season series was split with each team winning at home. The Argos have a remarkable streak having won 6 of their last 7 visits to Winnipeg.

Since 2011, the Bombers are just 5-16 (.238) without their #1 having lost Buck Pierce and Willy at times. When their #1 is in the lineup they have gone 24-34 (.414). When Toronto has been without their #1 QB, they have thrived at 12-8 (.600).

The Argos are coming off yet another comeback win and have now recorded come-from-behind victories in all four of them in 2015. They have rebounded from deficits of 4, 10, 21 and 8 points to reach 4-2.

The Argonauts have been outscored 58 to 104 in the first 30:00 of games (-46); over the rest of the games in 2015 they hold a 108-59 scoring edge (+49). BUT - Toronto has scored just 3 points in the 1st Quarter over the last 3 games but no less than 21 points total in the other three quarters.

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk

Justin Veltung and Nate Collins will be your healthy scratches tomorrow night. #Bombers

Booo!

If Veltung is actually healthy, Gordon better be excellent.  Veltung has been such a reliable target for the QB's.

Veltung is not "healthy".  They thought he would have been good to go, but he isn't.

This game truly is winnable ... no Greenwood, no Owens, no Durie, no Whitaker ... we have a definite chance.

If our D and ST will wake up and come in ready to play, we could win this game.

D need to stop the Argos O marching down the field create turnovers and keep the Argos O on the sidelines.

The ST need to give Marve and the O short fields consistently, and dont give up big returns.

I really dont expect much on O.  Just play it clean and don't create giveaways for the the Argo's D.