Preseason - Game One - WPG @ TOR

Personally, I don't have much faith that Bellefeuille will use our backs consistently (despite the offseason chatter) .. the CFL is a passing league .. I get it .. but the best friend of a young quarterback is a healthy running game .. take pressure off Willy ..and pound the ball a bit.

I'm hopeful. Our line has some solid road grading lineman that know how to run block now. Chungh seems to be capable of being an adequate run blocking lineman if Neufeld can't go, definitely more suited to that than pass pro in the early stages of his pro career. Picard has made his mark in the CFL as a run blocking beast. Bryant is just an all around awesome lineman.

... I'm hopeful.

Run game will be important......we look to have a more physical OL, this go round...

Last year we lost some close games ...because in crunch time, we had little possession time......as opposing teams imposed their will on us....and simply ran the ball down our throats

Run game not only compliments the passing game.....but can actually enhance it.

I think Cotton still is number one got to remember he has six games of excellent play on film behind a sub par line. That has to count for something.

It should count for something but man football is ruthless especially if you are a team that is struggling to pull itself out of the mud. (that's us I am afraid).

Personally, I don't have much faith that Bellefeuille will use our backs consistently (despite the offseason chatter) .. the CFL is a passing league .. I get it .. but the best friend of a young quarterback is a healthy running game .. take pressure off Willy ..and pound the ball a bit.

I'm hopeful. Our line has some solid road grading lineman that know how to run block now. Chungh seems to be capable of being an adequate run blocking lineman if Neufeld can't go, definitely more suited to that than pass pro in the early stages of his pro career. Picard has made his mark in the CFL as a run blocking beast. Bryant is just an all around awesome lineman.

... I'm hopeful.

I don't disagree that we've got the bodies and have changed the makeup of our offensive line to suit a more physical / run based attack .. I just don't believe in our offensive coordinator .. if I'm proven wrong .. fantastic .. 

Just a FWIW, but our OC looked like a genius through the first half dozen games of the year before our QB got dinged up really bad....

Now, some might say he got figured out...other teams adjusted, and he didn't readjust.....but I choose to believe we just didn't have enough healthy tools to make it go...

FWIW the only RB that somewhat impressed me in the running game last night was Cam Marshall. Pretty sure I missed when Anderson and Cotton were running though.

I didn't really see him do much other then that 16 yard run.  But when you're spreading 17 carries amongst 5 guys it's hard to judge.  Anderson only got 2 carries and Cotton didn't show well, but again...3 carries or so, hard to say.  Our best rusher last night was Marve.

FWIW the only RB that somewhat impressed me in the running game last night was Cam Marshall. Pretty sure I missed when Anderson and Cotton were running though.

I didn't really see him do much other then that 16 yard run.  But when you're spreading 17 carries amongst 5 guys it's hard to judge.  Anderson only got 2 carries and Cotton didn't show well, but again...3 carries or so, hard to say.  Our best rusher last night was Marve.

To me he seemed to run with good power and vision. You are right about the limited reps though. It's really tough to judge.

To me he seemed to run with good power and vision. You are right about the limited reps though. It's really tough to judge.

I don't know what order they played in, but any learning curve involving the turf would put the first few guys at more of a disadvantage.  On OB Lumsden said players can make cuts if they use their outside foot, but if they use their inside foot they're going down due to inadequate surface depth.

Just a FWIW, but our OC looked like a genius through the first half dozen games of the year before our QB got dinged up really bad....

Now, some might say he got figured out...other teams adjusted, and he didn't readjust.....but I choose to believe we just didn't have enough healthy tools to make it go...

Didn't have a OL....to make anything go......

I don't know what order they played in, but any learning curve involving the turf would put the first few guys at more of a disadvantage.  On OB Lumsden said players can make cuts if they use their outside foot, but if they use their inside foot they're going down due to inadequate surface depth.

Right, Marve was talking about that in the interview I posted in the other thread.  That's why people were having a hard time staying upright.

I definitely want to see more of these guys.  Especially Cotton, Anderson and Marshall.

I think Cotton still is number one got to remember he has six games of excellent play on film behind a sub par line. That has to count for something.

Cotton is still number one. It's his job to lose, and despite his performance last night someone needed to step up and take the job away, Cotton gave them all an opportunity to step up and give the coaches something to think about. None of them did. Anderson likely cost Randle his job though.

This is our answer.  Cut all RBs and convert No Knee Marve to RB :) Boom.

This is our answer.  Cut all RBs and convert No Knee Marve to RB :) Boom.

Not a bad idea. :D

Now that the euphoria of watching TB admit he was wrong er..watching the Bombers win, we get to look forward to see who's going to be cut. They have until Sunday, but what's the point of keeping anyone here past their due date?

I expect to hear some cuts from the staff today or tomorrow after they've seen the film.

To hear O'Shea speak, everybody had a pretty good game and their decisions are tougher.

Yeah, right.

A win is a win, but we should have beaten Toronto..and we did. Rookies or not.

Hamilton will be another matter altogether.

What is really good to see/hear is the overall play of the O-Line. Tyler, Goosen, and Chungh.

Can you say depth….finally.

What I don't like is the question marks that are still there regarding our RBs. No way I want to go through that angst and BS we went though last year. 

Let's get that friggin Thunder and Lightning game going!

Cotton is still number one. It's his job to lose, and despite his performance last night someone needed to step up and take the job away, Cotton gave them all an opportunity to step up and give the coaches something to think about. None of them did. Anderson likely cost Randle his job though.

I disagree with you a bit here.  With 4 or 5 carries per RB spread out over 5 RB's, you can't really expect them to showcase what they've got.  The coaches will have to get rid of a couple and let the other 3 have that many more runs next week and battle it out.  It's too bad we only have 2 preseason games.  It would be nice to have a third just to let the teams have a better look at what they really have.

I just listened to the radio but I thought that it was a pretty good preseason game all around. Some guys stepped up and made some plays. I don't know that anyone really played their way off the team so from that standpoint it's good. Make the decisions hard. If you complain about that game I think you are really trying hard to find things to complain about.