Preseason - Game One - WPG @ TOR

What surprised me last night is we didn't attempt more 2 point converts. I  would have thought it would have been a good opportunity to practise it.   

It allways surprises me when teams dont gamble more in pre season. Try 2 pointers, an extra point doesnt really give you much in term of evaluation. Go for it on 3rd down some, Let the offence try as high pressure a situation as you can create in pre season, and if it fails see you how your D responds to a field position shift etc. Idk maybe im crazy.

What surprised me last night is we didn't attempt more 2 point converts. I  would have thought it would have been a good opportunity to practise it.   

It allways surprises me when teams dont gamble more in pre season. Try 2 pointers, an extra point doesnt really give you much in term of evaluation. Go for it on 3rd down some, Let the offence try as high pressure a situation as you can create in pre season, and if it fails see you how your D responds to a field position shift etc. Idk maybe im crazy.

Makes sense to me to run special teams basically how you would in a meaningful game in pre-season.  It's the hardest to practice at game speed and you want guys to get used to substituting.  Also evaluating guys who will be playing special teams.

Marve doesn't want to be 3rd string next year.  I'm sure he thinks he's stuck there in Winnipeg.  He's not going to get a sniff in the NFL, but he might get a shot at #2 or even at #1 in Ottawa next year.  Can't say that I agree that it's close between him and Portis.  I'd say he's way ahead.  In fact, I'd look for a different #4 QB if we're serious in keeping 4 QB's around. 

If it was up to me I'd have Marve as the backup, and one of Brohm or Portis as #3. Not sure who's better between those two.

Has Brohm led the offense to a touchdown in any of his pre-season or regular season appearances? Honestly don't remember if he has or not. Either way, while Marve has much to learn about reading defenses, he clearly moves the team as well or better than Brohm with a number of drives resulting in major scores. Can't imagine Brohm ever being a starter in this league but Marve would appear to have unlimited potential.

Has Brohm led the offense to a touchdown in any of his pre-season or regular season appearances? Honestly don't remember if he has or not. Either way, while Marve has much to learn about reading defenses, he clearly moves the team as well or better than Brohm with a number of drives resulting in major scores. Can't imagine Brohm ever being a starter in this league but Marve would appear to have unlimited potential.

He threw a touchdown against Calgary in last year's preseason, but was awful as can be in his first preseason game. I agree with you though, Brohm struggles to move the offense more often than not. As unimpressive as Marve's passing stats from Tuesday were, he still proved to be a more efficient QB than Brohm and Portis, as he gained an average of 6.9 yards on plays in which he was involved and scored 14 points in the process. I also think a part of Marve's ability to put up points has to do with the fact that he's proven to be a very "safe" QB so far. He's only been sacked twice in all of his reg season + preseason reps and has not committed one turnover (fumble or interception). As a result, his offence barely ever loses yardage and the ball is never taken away in scoring areas.

He threw a touchdown against Calgary in last year's preseason, but was awful as can be in his first preseason game. I agree with you though, Brohm struggles to move the offense more often than not. As unimpressive as Marve's passing stats from Tuesday were, he still proved to be a more efficient QB than Brohm and Portis, as he gained an average of 6.9 yards on plays in which he was involved. I also think a part of Marve's ability to put up points has to do with the fact that he's proven to be a very "safe" QB so far. He's only been sacked twice in all of his reg season + preseason reps and has not committed one turnover (fumble or interception). As a result, his offence barely ever loses yardage and the ball is never taken away in scoring areas.

Brohm moved the ball quite well in his start at home last year until he injured his hand.

He threw a touchdown against Calgary in last year's preseason, but was awful as can be in his first preseason game. I agree with you though, Brohm struggles to move the offense more often than not. As unimpressive as Marve's passing stats from Tuesday were, he still proved to be a more efficient QB than Brohm and Portis, as he gained an average of 6.9 yards on plays in which he was involved. I also think a part of Marve's ability to put up points has to do with the fact that he's proven to be a very "safe" QB so far. He's only been sacked twice in all of his reg season + preseason reps and has not committed one turnover (fumble or interception). As a result, his offence barely ever loses yardage and the ball is never taken away in scoring areas.

Brohm moved the ball quite well in his start at home last year until he injured his hand.

Yeah, his 6.7 yards-per-play wasn't too bad (identical to Marve's in that game). But then again, the only time he came close to scoring a touchdown, he fumbled in the red zone.

Marve doesn't want to be 3rd string next year.  I'm sure he thinks he's stuck there in Winnipeg.  He's not going to get a sniff in the NFL, but he might get a shot at #2 or even at #1 in Ottawa next year.  Can't say that I agree that it's close between him and Portis.  I'd say he's way ahead.  In fact, I'd look for a different #4 QB if we're serious in keeping 4 QB's around. 

Brohm tried out the NFL last year.  Doesn't mean a thing.  His agent will make some calls and try to get him a workout with some teams.  It's a window of opportunity for Marve that closes as soon as he signs a CFL contract, so he's going to give it a shot rather than regret what might have been.  Chances are micro-slim that he lands a NFL contract.  And when he comes back to the CFL, he'll be a FA commodity, even if he's not as sharp at reading defences as he should be.  Those athletic gifts really catch the eye.

He still shouldn't have said it in that interview though, that was dumb.  Just tell teams what they want to hear.  You're 100% committed to the team.  Bomber fans are the best fans in the CFL.  The water in the Red River is the finest purest water that flows thru all the lands.

Makes sense to me to run special teams basically how you would in a meaningful game in pre-season.  It's the hardest to practice at game speed and you want guys to get used to substituting.  Also evaluating guys who will be playing special teams.

Yeah there is certainly logic in that. I thought about it a bit. What i came up with is obviously you dont want to go for it on every third down, you want to get punt cover, punting, FG team etc work. But simulating the high pressure moments of late/close games is just as valuable if not more so. I also think that do to all the player swaps, rule changes, system changes etc pre season tends to be more choppy and have more punts/kicks then regular games. (Just a hunch though no stats to back it up) So tossing a few more gambles in to put in the off/def into end game/close game situations makes sense to me. I could certainly under stand why some or even most coaches dont gamble more. But it seems almost none take extra gambles.