Preseason - Game One - WPG @ TOR

Just for the sake of discussion... here's a list of the players not in Toronto tonight (and my thoughts on why)

1. Stoudamire (injured... brilliant insight, I know)

3. Newman (thought he should be playing, maybe he's impressed enough to get the first one off)

7. Washington (lock, or at least gets the vet benefit of getting a free pass on first cuts)

8. Randle (lock to start)

10. Hurl (would've like to see him play, maybe also gets the vet pass)

17. Moore (lock to start)

18. Yantz (might be in trouble, thought this would be a good game for him to play in

25. Johnson (definitely not a lock, I'll go with vet free pass)

31. Leggett (lock to start)

33. West (bit of a mystery he hasn't been at camp at all)

38. Lattanzio (not sure why he's not playing, possibly injury related)

39. Pontbriand (probably still a lock to start at FB and on teams)

44. Anderson (lock to make the 46)

46. Rempel (lock to start at LS, guessing Fitz and Cronk will LS in this game)

47. Bass (bit of a surprise, maybe injury related?)

50. Warden (not sure what the deal is with him)

51. Dile (injury)

53. Neufeld (injury)

55. Westerman (lock to start, or at least be on the 46)

66. Bryant (lock to start)

68. Picard (lock to start)

70. Hijrullahu (lock to start)

83. JFG (lock to make the 46)

86. Richards (injury)

87. Kohlert (lock to make the 46)

89. Denmark (lock to start)

90. Peach (should be a lock on the 46)

92. Turner (lock to start)

95. Thomas (should be on the 46, would have like to see him in this game)

98. Collins (not sure how he got a pass, has he impressed that much in camp?)

Sorry if I made any mistakes... feel free to weigh in...

Just for the sake of discussion... here's a list of the players not in Toronto tonight (and my thoughts on why)

(Just scroll up)

I believe Newman is injured at the moment.

Hurl is probably getting a pass because he's a lock to make the 46, whereas the imports playing tonight are not.  The Bombers are going to start their best 7 NIs but they still need to evaluate the LB jobs as if they are going all import there.  Who knows, that might be what happens.

Yantz likely has a PR spot waiting for him if he wants it.  Portis, on the other hand, won't be guaranteed that luxury.

(Just scroll up)

I believe Newman is injured at the moment.

Hurl is probably getting a pass because he's a lock to make the 46, whereas the imports playing tonight are not.  The Bombers are going to start their best 7 NIs but they still need to evaluate the LB jobs as if they are going all import there.  Who knows, that might be what happens.

Yantz likely has a PR spot waiting for him if he wants it.  Portis, on the other hand, won't be guaranteed that luxury.

I would say the battle is in the #3 QB spot between Marve and Portis. Ed Tait made a good argument on that in the Big Show this morning.

Marve is carrying the benefit of the experience being the short yardage guy last year and the hype from the fans. Problem is he openly said that he will pursue NFL after this season.

If Portis can show that he can show that he can perform the #3 QB's duties and more, Marve will probably release or get traded.

Both guys would be considered development QBs, and with limited regular season reps for those guys even in practises, it would make sense they are fighting for the same job.  If Yantz is already stashed on the PR, keeping both those guys in case of injuries becomes less necessary.

Who needs to make an impression to make the cut?

I think the most important battles tonight will be between the Unamba type players - guys who get on the roster by being athletic and versatile.  Wright, Adams, Taylor, Allen and Burnett (and probably 5 others).  Can you excel at your natural position AND another position AND special teams?  With limited spots on the 44 for imports, the guys who are most athletic and versatile will have a leg up.

Most interested to see how the LB and WR spots shake down after this game. Seems like we have a lot of talent at WR which will make for some tough cuts. At LB I have no ******* clue what will happen, hope Allen plays well in the middle though. Also hope Sammy Brown can make some plays, was excited when the Bombers signed him.

One of the big reasons Hurl signed with us in the first place is because he would be given a chance to start here. The Riders, who've seen Hurl daily for 3 years and had him as a starter for 5 games, don't see him as a starter. Either they are wrong, or we are wrong, or it takes a different level of talent to be a Bomber starter than a Rider starter.

Or different scheme, different defence in general, different players around him...

But yea, you are right.. It's just a simple they are right or we are wrong...

Smh.

It's the same defence in general. It's Halls scheme in both Regina and Winnipeg. So another fail for you.

It's well known that Chamblin took control of the Riders defense part way through the season.

Halls D which i have seen up close for 3 days in a row is extremly different than what they did in regina

Actually I would not be surprised to see Yantz as one of the first cuts. There is no benefit to keeping a Canadian quarterback around and at this point I think he is pretty clearly behind all the other qbs, so in that case why bother to keep him? They don't make decisions based on feel good stories.

Actually I would not be surprised to see Yantz as one of the first cuts. There is no benefit to keeping a Canadian quarterback around and at this point I think he is pretty clearly behind all the other qbs, so in that case why bother to keep him? They don't make decisions based on feel good stories.

I believe the route to the PR always involves being cut first...but I could be mistaken.

Who needs to make an impression to make the cut?

I think the most important battles tonight will be between the Unamba type players - guys who get on the roster by being athletic and versatile.  Wright, Adams, Taylor, Allen and Burnett (and probably 5 others).  Can you excel at your natural position AND another position AND special teams?  With limited spots on the 44 for imports, the guys who are most athletic and versatile will have a leg up.

I at least hope that Unamba is given some preference over the other "Unamba type players" as he is the inspirational leader of the Unamba Type Players Club.

3 keys to the game tonight according to Bob Irving:

1) Stay healthy - no points in the standings for pre-season games.

2) Evaluate rookies - (pay attention new Calgary guy) great competition going on, O-Line - Defensive backs - receivers - linebackers. Last chance for some of these guys and for the Coaches to make some roster decisions.

3) Misguided plug for CJOB as Kim says this is to only place to hear about the game.

As to the game being televised on "special" connections, that is a shame. I'm already with Shaw, so it was just a matter of joining Shaw Go, which I did.

Just to be safe I joined Go Direct, Go Golf and Go ogle and the old Give and Go. I could Go On but I figured I have passed enough Go's to collect $200. 

I finally settled for this:

papergc,441x415,w,ffffff.2u2.jpg

Mostly just to see if they want to Sinopoli him.