Preseason - Game One - WPG @ TOR

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned yet is that Reeves had a catch last night and, at least in my listening to Irving's call, didn't seem to be out of place at all on the field. That's a really good sign. If the kid can improve leaps and bounds from week to week, he might not be as far off as some folks seem to think...

I just listened to the radio but I thought that it was a pretty good preseason game all around. Some guys stepped up and made some plays. I don't know that anyone really played their way off the team so from that standpoint it's good. Make the decisions hard. If you complain about that game I think you are really trying hard to find things to complain about. 

Patrick Hall says hello.

Just for the sake of discussion... here's a list of the players not in Toronto tonight (and my thoughts on why)

(Just scroll up)

Sorry if I made any mistakes... feel free to weigh in...

I believe Newman is injured at the moment.

Hurl is probably getting a pass because he's a lock to make the 46, whereas the imports playing tonight are not.  The Bombers are going to start their best 7 NIs but they still need to evaluate the LB jobs as if they are going all import there.  Who knows, that might be what happens.

Yantz likely has a PR spot waiting for him if he wants it.  Portis, on the other hand, won't be guaranteed that luxury.

I would say the battle is in the #3 QB spot between Marve and Portis. Ed Tait made a good argument on that in the Big Show this morning.

Marve is carrying the benefit of the experience being the short yardage guy last year and the hype from the fans. Problem is he openly said that he will pursue NFL after this season.

If Portis can show that he can show that he can perform the #3 QB's duties and more, Marve will probably release or get traded.

I think your right. Though i dont like brohm and would rahter have marve and portis personally. But then if marve doesnt play much this year, whats his chance of getting an nfl deal? He looks amazing in practise, but are nfl teams going to be falling over them self to work out a guy whose a 2 year back up in the cfl with 3 major knee surgerys and age quickly creeping up on him? Thats assuming a season of willy at no1 with some brohm tme and marve being short yardage / #3. 

Here's some thoughts from Kirk Penton:

Marve looked sharp running the hurry-up offence against the Argos. There was a reason for that. “I love it,” Marve said. “We did that a lot at Miami and Purdue. Defences can throw only so much at you. You keep them on the run. And then with a (quarterback) who can kind of run, the defensive line gets tired and they stop rushing.”

If Marve is going to play out his option this year, should the Bombers go with Josh Portis as their third-stringer instead? Portis is committed to the Bombers, while Marve has NFL dreams dancing in his head. Both are athletic, but neither is particularly strong from the pocket. Marve is quicker, but Portis isn't too far behind. If they're relatively close in their skill set, should the Bombers go with the guy who plans to stick around and be developed?

The Bombers have 84 players on their roster, including eight non-counters. That means they have to cut 11 players to get to the maximum of 65 counters by Sunday's 11 p.m. deadline

Of the 34 penalties called Tuesday night, only two were for illegal contact. That's a good sign for the season ahead. It shows players are already getting used to the new rules .

Anthony Santella is a pretty good punter and a decent placekicker. His two field goal misses on Tuesday weren't too far off the mark, and he had plenty of leg on his attempts outside the 40. The Bombers should keep in contact with him if Lirim Hajrullahu bolts for the NFL or for another CFL team next February 

Thought Tuinei did the most to improve from practice, and Gordon did the most to show less than he had in practice....if that makes sense. Be interesting to see if Gordon can find some form in Game 2...

Tuinei has CFL experience and has excelled at times, this is a huge advantage imo.  No learning curve for him.

Thought Tuinei did the most to improve from practice, and Gordon did the most to show less than he had in practice....if that makes sense. Be interesting to see if Gordon can find some form in Game 2...

Tuinei has CFL experience and has excelled at times, this is a huge advantage imo.  No learning curve for him.

Then it would seem to me that he ought to stand out in the exhibition games, yes?

Here's some thoughts from Kirk Penton:

Marve looked sharp running the hurry-up offence against the Argos. There was a reason for that. “I love it,” Marve said. “We did that a lot at Miami and Purdue. Defences can throw only so much at you. You keep them on the run. And then with a (quarterback) who can kind of run, the defensive line gets tired and they stop rushing.”

If Marve is going to play out his option this year, should the Bombers go with Josh Portis as their third-stringer instead? Portis is committed to the Bombers, while Marve has NFL dreams dancing in his head. Both are athletic, but neither is particularly strong from the pocket. Marve is quicker, but Portis isn't too far behind. If they're relatively close in their skill set, should the Bombers go with the guy who plans to stick around and be developed?

The Bombers have 84 players on their roster, including eight non-counters. That means they have to cut 11 players to get to the maximum of 65 counters by Sunday's 11 p.m. deadline

Of the 34 penalties called Tuesday night, only two were for illegal contact. That's a good sign for the season ahead. It shows players are already getting used to the new rules .

Anthony Santella is a pretty good punter and a decent placekicker. His two field goal misses on Tuesday weren't too far off the mark, and he had plenty of leg on his attempts outside the 40. The Bombers should keep in contact with him if Lirim Hajrullahu bolts for the NFL or for another CFL team next February 

Hard to say what Marve will do, could well be a negotiating tactic pushed by his agent.  Anyone know who his agent is and if he has CFL experience?  Not Marve's dad I hope. 

A critical factor often overlooked in evaluating QB's is how smart they are.  They can have all the physical tools to be great but if their brain is lacking their careers tend to be short.

Then it would seem to me that he ought to stand out in the exhibition games, yes?

Yes, he made a good play on his TD.  Thus he stood out.

Marve doesn't want to be 3rd string next year.  I'm sure he thinks he's stuck there in Winnipeg.  He's not going to get a sniff in the NFL, but he might get a shot at #2 or even at #1 in Ottawa next year.  Can't say that I agree that it's close between him and Portis.  I'd say he's way ahead.  In fact, I'd look for a different #4 QB if we're serious in keeping 4 QB's around.