Sign Willy!

Floyd

Most of those weren't starters when they left their team. They were the backup.

As for Pierce and Burris, the team decided to move. I said where the team wanted to keep them

They were leaving with expectations (and in ever case they did) of being a starter.. So, still a starter moving in FA..
Ya but his point is in the context of us losing Willy even though we want to keep him

As for Pierce and Burris, the team decided to move. I said where the team wanted to keep them

They were leaving with expectations (and in ever case they did) of being a starter.. So, still a starter moving in FA..

Yes butt the teams they were moving from had a starter ahead of them on the depth chart.

Someone said starting QBs never get to FA. My point was most teams don't let the QBs they want to keep get to FA. They are usually signed before their final year.

I get people wanting Willy to prove himself. I just don't like the risk of him having a breakout year and being so close to FA that he decides to explore it.

QB is the most important position and I'd rather see that risk mitigated.

Yes butt the teams they were moving from had a starter ahead of them on the depth chart.

Probably wasn't necessary to call Spuds a butt.

Even if we were all thinking it.

Let willy play with a chip on his shoulder this year and try earn his big contract. We're getting ahead of ourselves a little bit, just gotta pump the breaks. A deal will get done within a month after the season ends if drew plays like a # 1 QB. The last thing we want to see is a three year extension and willy plays like he did the second half of last year.

It's pretty evident that the club wants Willy to be here long term.  It's understandable that some want him to go out and prove his worth this season before offering him a raise.  But in a way, he already has.  He survived a rough season, got pounded a lot and got up every time, and not once did you see him waver. It was his first year as a starter, and he's shown he can do some great things.  Consistency comes with experience, and we'll get that consistency by showing that we have faith in his abilities as a leader, and that we are committed to working with him. I don't see it as a positive thing letting him be unsure of his status with the team stepping on the field.

Getting a deal done sooner than later shows how we are confident in Drew with his job to lead this team.  I'd rather have him play knowing that confidence exists than playing with a chip on his shoulder.  

The risk is that Willy has a breakout year and we have to pay him more than we would if we extend him now.  If that happens, we can extend him any time during the season or after the season's over but before Free Agency.  If he's doing that well in our system, he'll be a fan fav, the team will make the playoffs and will be headed in the right direction.  There won't be any other team who has more to offer than we do other than maybe money and we would definitely match other teams offers.  If Mack was still in charge, I'd worry that we'd stick to our number no matter what, but I don't see Walters letting a true franchise QB (Which is what Willy would be) leave.

The risk is we still have Wally Buono and Marcel Desjardins in our league. Could very well be, these two teams will be looking for a new QB next year. Maybe even Montreal. Has Durant recovered sufficiently to carry on? How about Ed Hervey? Do you trust him?

Too may questions, too many little birds whispering in players' ears.

I look at Willy as being a character guy. Would he allow full understanding to invade his decisions and refrain from turning his back on a team that turned their backs on him? Hmmm...

Make the deal..who wants to play Russian roulette with our starting QB?

Hypothetical question.

Willy plays the same as he did this season, but plays well enough in the playoff games to get us into the Grey Cup, but gets hurt and Brohm is the QB at the helm for a Grey Cup win.

Do you:

A)  Pay Willy what he wants now

B)  Pay Willy more because he is a free agent

C)  Hitch the wagon to Brohm

D)  None of the Above, hope for one of the FA QB's to shake loose, and risk losing out on all of them (sort of the same thing as the Burris/Collaros situation).

For me, none of these answers are ideal, because I would rather sign Willy now, and have it play out from there.

I'm curious.......are there a lot of people on here that think Willy's play just declined as the season went on, as opposed to being a victim of injury, and that it wasn't necessarily the same QB in the 2nd half....?

Part of the reason our offence looked better in the first part of the season was because our QB had more time to process things. Defences hadn't keyed on our vulnerabilities, receivers were getting separation. But Drew Willy's biggest problem is that if you give him more time to decide what to do with the ball, he will take it. Also, because we strung a few wins together early in the year, there was the appearance of better QB play. But people forget that those wins were defence and special teams assisted. We would have lost even more games in 2014 if not for scoring by the D and ST. That being said, things should be better for all the Bombers QBs this season for a whole bunch of reasons. They will all look sharper. Here's hoping Marcel gets his QBs thinking about how to speed up the tempo of the game so defenders don't have time to have a nap, go to the can, or get pedicures between plays, as they could have done last year in the time it took Drew Willy to slowly amble through his pre and post-snap reads.

I see Willy having a big year with the rule changes and improved OL. Sign him now or his cost is only going to increase.

I agree that for those reasons all our QBs should look better this year - but no reason to roll up the Brinks truck for Willy yet.

The only Brinks truck they will roll up for Willy is the one Alex left behind when he was released from our roster.

The only Brinks truck they will roll up for Willy is the one Alex left behind when he was released from our roster.

Ouch, takes a shot at poor old Alex. Sometimes, though the pun is right there, it's sometimes better left unsaid...
The immortal Alex Brinks may not be fair game for you KBF, but I have no problem bringing up his name in jest.

Said.

The only potential downside to not extending Willy now is that we might have to pay him more next year if he has a good to great year. In return, we'd get great value for our money this year and we'd save the 150K that we could use towards his next contract if we have to.

... are we really going to act like the potential downside of him signing elsewhere doesn't exist?

When's the last time a starting QB in the CFL left via free agency? I wouldn't be too worried.

I was wondering the same and I can't think of any since Doug Flutie was jumping about. 

This is definitely a make it or break it year for Willy, if he performed moderately well in the last half of 2014 I would be willing to give him the benefit of doubt but the fact is he failed to do so.  Posters can blame the run of defeat on the O-line, Etch, injuries, receivers, or the Queen but I believe O'Shea, Willy and Marcel mainly need to carry the heavy burden of those consecutive losses. 

Willy should be grateful if this years pay is commensurate with Zach Collaros as he will be getting paid for past performance and potential that did not keep pace with what Collaros has achieved within roughly the same time-frame.  Willy may have eeked out moments of LEADERSHIP in 2014 but to be honest I've seen the same curious sparks emanate from Reggie Slack, Joey Elliot and Michael Bishop, so I'm yet to be convinced he is the Bombers long awaited saviour.  Good sure but great, I dunno.  If the man lights it up and leads the team to a significant number of victories in 2015 I'm all for paying him generously for all that he has earned.

Probably wasn't necessary to call Spuds a butt.

Even if we were all thinking it.

Are you guys talking about my assets again? Oh behave!!

Someone said starting QBs never get to FA. My point was most teams don't let the QBs they want to keep get to FA. They are usually signed before their final year.

I get people wanting Willy to prove himself. I just don't like the risk of him having a breakout year and being so close to FA that he decides to explore it.

QB is the most important position and I'd rather see that risk mitigated.

Yup. I see where I went astray and I agree with you.. Why risk it. Dodge the issue all together by upping him soonest..

Looks like you guys are getting your wish.  It'll be interesting to see what the numbers and the split between base and bonuses are.  Oh wait.  I almost forgot.  Terms of the deal won't be made public.

This post should be printed out, framed and placed in the Bombers fan community archives so that whenever anyone doubts your ability to spin even the best news into something you can complain about, we can just dust this one off.

Looks like you guys are getting your wish.  It'll be interesting to see what the numbers and the split between base and bonuses are.  Oh wait.  I almost forgot.  Terms of the deal won't be made public.

Pretty sure, there will be some leak about the figures.

Just read the Lawless article on the Freep website. He really should credit this forum and this thread for writing his article for him. Every salient point he makes has been discussed here in the past few days. He likely copy and pasted much of it.

Just read the Lawless article on the Freep website. He really should credit this forum and this thread for writing his article for him. Every salient point he makes has been discussed here in the past few days. He likely copy and pasted much of it.

all the media leeches material from this site. I've heard the commentators on TSN say word for word things people have posted here too.