Bombers trade Etienne for Drew Willy, extend Willy

Atomic

I still don't understand why the team went to Boltus in that role for the last few games, when it was clear that Goltz was better at that role.  I can only assume that they have given up on him.   

Tim Burke held grudges but didn't have the balls to out right cut a player. 

Besides Hefney, you mean...

Time for a reality check. Willy is a promising newbie, but his portfolio is still pretty thin, so lets not anoint Walters as the next Wally Buono just yet. I am of the opinion that We should pursue Nichols if the price is not too high. Hall has improved but not enough to believe that he is good enough to ensure a competent backup. So, if Nichols is not an option, then Florida Dan needs to beat the bushes for a a hot QB prospect- something that hasn't been seen in these parts for a very long time.

People sure freak out. I didn't say I wanted to trade for glen, I was just wondering if this was something they may be considering.

Hall and willy have show about the same and hall was in a much more challenging situation with an ass clown for a Hc,and a horrible oc for training camp and half the season. Receivers dropped a lot of balls last year.

I hope willy turns into a star, but the sample size is way too small to have any real idea. Too many " next great qb " have come through and nothing about willy has popped out more then anyone else. It might change tho and I'm hoping he is a star. Or he plays as well as Glenn or Reilly BLM etc. That would be way better then we have had since glen was cut.

I thought we cut him because Kelly wanted his guy and his system

Pretty sure I recall Bauer wanted him cut. As did most of fans after the loss in the playoffs.

Zactly right. 

Frankly, I was done with Glenn's "meh" attitude too. I also thought Mike Kelly was a good hire (on Day one). I wasn't sure about LeForeskin, but I trusted Kelly. 

What a difference a few months makes. 

If Ettiene wanted to play here.. or we determined to play her, then why didn't he resign last year or earlier this year?   If one of your FA hasn't resigned yet this close to FA, either the club didn't want him, the FA didn't want to move or they didn't agree on money and he was going to FA...

Not excited about willy... We now have another Backup on the team.. I don't think willy has shown any more then Hall given that Willy played behind a championship oline and offence...   Hall, not so much.

Danny McManus disagrees with you. He might know a little something, something about quarterbacks.

He might know something about being a cfl qb in the league a few years back..

But he doesn't have a history (yet) for succesfully spotting and developing cfl QB..  Time will tell and Danny mac was a great HOF QB.. but that doesn't always translate into be a great scout, mentor, etc.  I'm hoping he's right.. But i've been hoping for 5 years that the "pros" knew what we needed, could scout, sign and assign roles that players could excel in.. But it hasn't happened yet..[/quote

Jeezus can we just enjoy this for a while Debbie Downer

]

Glad Walters made the deal for Willy - finally we have a young QB who can seriously challenge for the starting QB position.  Won't be as good as Reilly , but he has the opportunity to be a good QB.

We shouldn't be satisfied with just this signing though.  If Glenn is unavailable and Walters senses that Desjardins won't cut him prior to or during training camp, he needs to get out there and get another QB with some experience - Nichols should be the first choice, followed by Crompton.  Heck, I would take Porter over Goltz coming back at this point.  He can run and provide first down conversions just as well as Goltz and he has actually had a few decent passing games unlike Goltz.

Glad Etienne is done.  It's Possible that he might put up some respectable numbers in Sasky (maybe some 300 yard seasons), but somehow I doubt he lasts more than a couple years before his career is over. 

It's interesting that one of the biggest jade supporters over the years is absent from this thread... 

Willy has more experience than Reilly did. I'd take a Reilly type season (4000 passing yards, 24tds).

That doesn't really mean anything, Willy could either turn out to be better than Reilly or become Dinwiddie.

Penton says Willy is getting close to Collaros money, so looks clear that Willy is the starter.

Willy as of right now should be the starter here. As for the money I suppose theoretically if Collaros is being piad based on potential, Willy should have a similar deal as well. 

I'd trade Akeem Foster for Glenn...

I'd trade Akeem Foster for a conditional 2031 draft pick, both are worth the same IMO.

Willy AND Glenn would be ideal, but I actually think Max Hall would be a reasonably reliable backup.

IMO Willy and Nichols would be ideal (excluding Marsh by some miracle coming here). Glenn wants to start and it's highly unlikely he'd come back here. Montreal and/or Edmonton would make more sense for him, although I don't see him starting in those places either.

Sad when you think about it, Glenn and his family were pretty happy when he was drafted by the redblacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJAyrXss3N8

Glad Walters made the deal for Willy - finally we have a young QB who can seriously challenge for the starting QB position.  Won't be as good as Reilly , but he has the opportunity to be a good QB.

We shouldn't be satisfied with just this signing though.  If Glenn is unavailable and Walters senses that Desjardins won't cut him prior to or during training camp, he needs to get out there and get another QB with some experience - Nichols should be the first choice, followed by Crompton.  Heck, I would take Porter over Goltz coming back at this point.  He can run and provide first down conversions just as well as Goltz and he has actually had a few decent passing games unlike Goltz.

Glad Etienne is done.  It's Possible that he might put up some respectable numbers in Sasky (maybe some 300 yard seasons), but somehow I doubt he lasts more than a couple years before his career is over. 

It's interesting that one of the biggest jade supporters over the years is absent from this thread... 

Curious who you're talking about because my first thought is that it's me and I haven't been absent.

I'm actually bummed to see Jade go.

Honestly, I would have liked to have seen more of Jade.  He showed flashes last year.

I hope that the Willy signing, in advance of Free Agency, makes it easier to convince players to come here once free-agency hits.  I would think it would be difficult to convince receivers or OL to come here when they don't know who their QB is.

Don't be so quick to discount Etienne. The kid, yes kid was drafted after one season playing receiver. He had been a kicker. The biggest mistake was not sending him back to U of S for another year. He could have actually played and developed. There was some ridiculous notion that you couldn't send a first round pick back , as it wouldn't look good. How stupid was that? The NHL does it all the time to help players develop. Jade needed to physically and mentally mature. I think he will surprise some people if he is actually given the opportunity.

I'm still a big Detain fan, and really wish more people would understand that we drafted a 21 year old and not the typical 27 year old CIS grad. Needed a lot of grooming, lot more than normal, but has massive upside still. Every reason to believe that with a proper team around him and a proper QB throwing to him, JE can be a very productive CFLer...

Won't be as good as Reilly , but he has the opportunity to be a good QB.

Based on what? He has a larger sample size than Reilly had coming into his new team, and Reilly was known by many around the league last year as the king of garbage time as he was wildly inconsistent and put up a lot of his numbers late in games when teams typically switch to a cover 4.