Bombers trade Etienne for Drew Willy, extend Willy

Atomic

@DarrinBauming: Head coach Mike O'Shea jumps in to clarify; Drew Willy is the starter. #Bombers

@saraorlesky: Bombers HC Mike O'Shea emphatically declares Drew Willy the starter for the Bombers to start the season #CFL

@DarrinBauming: Kyle Walters says quarterback Drew Willy was not the #Bombers third choice.

Glad Walters made the deal for Willy - finally we have a young QB who can seriously challenge for the starting QB position.  Won't be as good as Reilly , but he has the opportunity to be a good QB.

We shouldn't be satisfied with just this signing though.  If Glenn is unavailable and Walters senses that Desjardins won't cut him prior to or during training camp, he needs to get out there and get another QB with some experience - Nichols should be the first choice, followed by Crompton.  Heck, I would take Porter over Goltz coming back at this point.  He can run and provide first down conversions just as well as Goltz and he has actually had a few decent passing games unlike Goltz.

Glad Etienne is done.  It's Possible that he might put up some respectable numbers in Sasky (maybe some 300 yard seasons), but somehow I doubt he lasts more than a couple years before his career is over. 

It's interesting that one of the biggest jade supporters over the years is absent from this thread... 

Curious who you're talking about because my first thought is that it's me and I haven't been absent.

I'm actually bummed to see Jade go.

I'm curious too cause Noeller and I have been here as well... 

@DarrinBauming: Kyle Walters says quarterback Drew Willy was not the #Bombers third choice.

Yeah because going after him last after offering starter money to both Collaros and Burris and losing out on both, equals Willy wasn't our third choice.  :rolleyes:

Yeah because going after him last after offering starter money to both Collaros and Burris and losing out on both, equals Willy wasn't our third choice.  :rolleyes:

No, they went after him last because Collaros was released first, then Burris.  They didn't want to lose out on Willy so they made a play for him.  I think if all 3 would have been released on the 11th, then you would have really seen who they were going after.

No, they went after him last because Collaros was released first, then Burris.  They didn't want to lose out on Willy so they made a play for him.  I think if all 3 would have been released on the 11th, then you would have really seen who they were going after.

So if Burris and/or Collaros signed here, you honestly believe the Bombers would have gone after Willy and still given him starting money and name him the starter ?

Walters traded for Willy to ensure that they wouldn't lose out on a QB (after losing out on 2 within a matter of days). Now I'm not saying that Walters & Co. weren't interested in Willy or anything, but let's call a spade a spade.

Won't be as good as Reilly , but he has the opportunity to be a good QB.

Based on what? He has a larger sample size than Reilly had coming into his new team, and Reilly was known by many around the league last year as the king of garbage time as he was wildly inconsistent and put up a lot of his numbers late in games when teams typically switch to a cover 4.

Eyeball test.  Better arm, quicker in his reads and more athletic which helps in evading the rush.  Last point is something that worries me with Willy.  He might get killed behind our O-Line.

Glad Walters made the deal for Willy - finally we have a young QB who can seriously challenge for the starting QB position.  Won't be as good as Reilly , but he has the opportunity to be a good QB.

We shouldn't be satisfied with just this signing though.  If Glenn is unavailable and Walters senses that Desjardins won't cut him prior to or during training camp, he needs to get out there and get another QB with some experience - Nichols should be the first choice, followed by Crompton.  Heck, I would take Porter over Goltz coming back at this point.  He can run and provide first down conversions just as well as Goltz and he has actually had a few decent passing games unlike Goltz.

Glad Etienne is done.  It's Possible that he might put up some respectable numbers in Sasky (maybe some 300 yard seasons), but somehow I doubt he lasts more than a couple years before his career is over. 

It's interesting that one of the biggest jade supporters over the years is absent from this thread... 

Curious who you're talking about because my first thought is that it's me and I haven't been absent.

I'm actually bummed to see Jade go.

I'm curious too cause Noeller and I have been here as well... 

Didn't see your quotes earlier in the thread and yah, I was referring to you. ;)

So if Burris and/or Collaros signed here, you honestly believe the Bombers would have gone after Willy and still given him starting money and name him the starter ?

Walters traded for Willy to ensure that they wouldn't lose out on a QB (after losing out on 2 within a matter of days). Now I'm not saying that Walters & Co. weren't interested in Willy or anything, but let's call a spade a spade.

But that's not what he said.

Of course they went hard, after the fact, but the question is…what order would have occurred if Barker hadn't said , on your mark, get set, go by releasing Collaros early?

In this case we can call a spade a shovel.

I think Willy got a pay raise because of the way everything went down, but I do believe we would have gone for Willy even if we had signed Collaros or Burris. He probably would've gotten closer to $175-200,000, though.

I do believe Willy was part of all scenarios, just not necessarily as our bona fide starter.

But that's not what he said.

Of course they went hard, after the fact, but the question is…what order would have occurred if Barker hadn't said , on your mark, get set, go by releasing Collaros early?

In this case we can call a spade a shovel.

Thank you. This exactly. We're talking about what order they wanted them in. We'll never know. Although they just said on CJOB they wanted Willy more then Collaros so... Whatever. We have Willy and that's who I'm damn well cheering for.

Anyone notice that Willy looks like the actor that took over as QB1 on the TV show Friday Night Lights?

Thank you. This exactly. We're talking about what order they wanted them in. We'll never know. Although they just said on CJOB they wanted Willy more then Collaros so... Whatever. We have Willy and that's who I'm damn well cheering for.

Anyone notice that Willy looks like the actor that took over as QB1 on the TV show Friday Night Lights?

This interview with Mike O'Shea confirms the Willy over Collaros talk,----- talks of Henoc, ----mentions the tough week, ----thinks Kyle is doing a great job,----so excited to get Drew,---wants all the coaches to focus towards a common goal…build the Bomber foundation….

https://soundcloud.com/680cjob/mike-oshea-talks-drew-willy

..and Drew Willy:

https://soundcloud.com/680cjob/drew-willy-bombers-new

https://soundcloud.com/680cjob/drew-willy-bombers-new-1