Bombers trade Etienne for Drew Willy, extend Willy

Atomic

Why would we even consider this option tho, i mean really? We just said how we wouldnt mortgage the future (willy now id assume) for results now..

it was probably willy OR glenn.. unless glenn is cut outright or landed fer like a 4th rounder, i dont expect to see him here now

Michael Pierce says this about him (in 2009 mind you)

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2009dwilly.php

Willy is an outstanding athlete and has great quickness and burst. He has the ability to avoid the rush get outside the pocket and make plays with his feet as well as his arm. Willy's agility and coordination is displayed on every drop back, he has almost impeccable footwork and that allows him to be more mobile as well as accurate in delivering the ball.

Willy is a competitive player and that shows in the big games. He comes up huge in big games and important situations. Willy's production has been very good especially over the past 2 years. He is a consistent player in all areas; his delivery mechanics, footwork, and production have all been consistent. He is a strong team player and is the leader of the Bulls, he commands the huddle and is the go to guy on offense.

Willy is a very intelligent player. His instincts and reactions help him to avoid the pass rush and deliver accurate passes. He maintains concentration throughout the game and is outstanding at reading the defense. Willy does a good job of adjusting the offense to the defense and rarely makes mistakes.

Willy has exceptional size for the QB position. He has enough height to help him scan the defense over the tall linemen of the NFL. He has been a durable player and has very good arm strength although it is not going to kill you on deep balls. Willy stands tall in the pocket and has the strength to deliver while taking a hit.

Willy's strengths are his calmness and intelligence. He understands the position very well and does a great job of reading the defense. Willy has outstanding mechanics and footwork which allows him to be very accurate with most throws he makes.

Willy can be a little stiff at times. He can sometimes stand and hold the ball too long which will cause him to be sacked or give the defense time to react to his eyes. Willy can be indecisive as well and in the NFL that can lead to big turnovers.

Willy comes from a humble conference and team that is always trying to prove itself and I think that bodes well for his development and coachability. His ability to stand tall and poise in the pocket helps him to deliver strikes to his receivers. Willy is a relaxed QB and I have not seen him get too rattled he stays calm under duress and uses his feet to buy him time. His consistency at recognize the rush needs to be improved on, he is very good at seeing it but at times he holds the ball too long and gets lead feet in the pocket. I believe Willy has tremendous potential and could be a legitimate QB in the NFL.

So Saskabush. Rider fans are acting like you gave them Ben Cahoon and are worried he's an FA soon. Jade Etienne ? un ******* believable.

It took two pages of their thread before they realized Etienne is a pending FA.

It`s amazing how some people's opinion of a player changes when he (potentially) puts on their jersey.

My opinion of Jade Etienne hasn't changed just because he's now become a Rider for 5 more days at least. I didn't think much of him as a Bomber in the first place as most of you know. I would have as a third round pick but not a first. Twenty some passes caught in 3 years? Saskatchewan can have him. But as an asset he finally became valuable enough to trade for Willy. So, Etienne became useful finally for something. Tells me that Walters wasn't going to re-sign him. Or he knew he wanted to go to the Riders. 

I'd actually avoid trading for Glenn now.  We have Willy and I think we do everything we can to surround him with talent.  Free agency, the draft, we want to give Willy the best chance to succeed.  I don't want to give up an asset for Glenn then plunk Willy on the bench.  I'd consider Glenn a target for our backup spot, if Ottawa wants us to toss them a late rounder or something inconsequential.