2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

I know we have the week. I’m a little surprised we didn’t cut some guys though. Make room for new ones. In the past we’ve often seen the first wave come early.

The way we are crunching for roster spots it makes me think they want to really squeeze the most we can out of the time we have with the guys we have in camp. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

They just didn't sign him. I don't think it as ever a moving on thing so much as gaming numbers

Odd, I remember reading n ed tait article and it was expressed that jake thomas wasn't signed and wasn't going to in training camp... then there was an injury and he was brought in. 

I recall that the article underlined how much the other players were super happy he was coming back

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

Jake's explanation for the late signing was he was fully exploring his NFL opportunities.

Cool, thanks for the clarification. 

I wish I still had a link to that article.

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I know we have the week. I’m a little surprised we didn’t cut some guys though. Make room for new ones. In the past we’ve often seen the first wave come early.

The way we are crunching for roster spots it makes me think they want to really squeeze the most we can out of the time we have with the guys we have in camp. 

Post-game press conference, O'Shea stated they weren't in a rush and wanted to take advantage of the time they had to evaluate fully.  Could be no more cuts till final cut down.

4 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Post-game press conference, O'Shea stated they weren't in a rush and wanted to take advantage of the time they had to evaluate fully.  Could be no more cuts till final cut down.

Yup. Our first game came really early. Haven't a lot of practice time with anyone to make cut down decisions. 

22 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Odd, I remember reading n ed tait article and it was expressed that jake thomas wasn't signed and wasn't going to in training camp... then there was an injury and he was brought in. 

I recall that the article underlined how much the other players were super happy he was coming back

Cool, thanks for the clarification. 

I wish I still had a link to that article.

• bigg jayGrand Master
  • Members
  • LocationSection 207
  On 2024-05-23 at 9:09 AM, wbbfan said:

I believe it was mos 2nd tc. They cut him in the off season and only brought him back a few weeks into the season. 

Not cut per se, his contract was up and wasn't brough back (at least initially).  They re-signed him in late May 2018 so we hadn't even had our first pre-season game yet.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/05/23/training-camp-day-3-recap-2/

Heres the link to the article posted a few days ago by @big jay

45 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They just didn't sign him. I don't think it as ever a moving on thing so much as gaming numbers

Yes and no.

Tait said they were planning on moving to younger Canadian d-linemen (Corney & Ekakitie).

It sounds like he was their plan B though since they'd been in constant communication with him throughout FA.  Good plan because Ekakitie was a bust and got cut a week late while Corney played 3 games, got hurt & retired - Plan A was a complete fail.

Edited by bigg jay

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Okay let’s take the concern regarding Canadian or American out of it. Who are you more excited about? The 30+ year old past his prime who is not exceedingly athletic, has never been an impact player and was never thought to be one OR the young player with a great resume of collegiate athletics, a more dominant athletic skill set and the prime of their career ahead of them? 

with 70 percent o these peeps...The Old Canadian cause its the CFL dammit...hahahaha

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I feel seen. 

revealed works too....

1 hour ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

No, no- I recall the Bombers moving from JT and then bringing him back at the beginning of a season...

yup...it did happen....I remeber it vividly...then was kicked right in the nuts as a crual joke as he lollygagged right back

49 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

hopefully this yr thats true....seeing as nobody was jetisoned yet, they may actually doing so...And I bet that came from above...Also the scouts s and Assistent GM's I am sure wont pubically say it...but get a lil pissed at their hard work and time spent...some of it yrs in the making get shipped out of town with nary a chance to prove anything..let alone grow on a PR

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

hopefully this yr thats true....seeing as nobody was jetisoned yet, they may actually doing so...And I bet that came from above...Also the scouts s and Assistent GM's I am sure wont pubically say it...but get a lil pissed at their hard work and time spent...some of it yrs in the making get shipped out of town with nary a chance to prove anything..let alone grow on a PR

How many of our cuts have gone on to not become greeters at Walmart ?  You would think these guys would maybe try again or get picked up somewhere else and become stars or role players but have any? 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Okay let’s take the concern regarding Canadian or American out of it. Who are you more excited about? The 30+ year old past his prime who is not exceedingly athletic, has never been an impact player and was never thought to be one OR the young player with a great resume of collegiate athletics, a more dominant athletic skill set and the prime of their career ahead of them? 

Are you complaining about Thomas?  You literally have three Canadian defensive tackles to replace him.  Same with Neufeld.

4 hours ago, Booch said:

I just find it interesting...as well as comical that people like to cherry pick any negative comment and twist it...I never once said fire anybody...I have stated numerous times Osh doesn't need to be canned...nor I want him canned and support many of the things others do...but...I will comment and stand pat on flaws..he has a few very significant ones that have hurt us in big ways...and repeatedly...and will continue until it's addressed...people see reg season wins ...Grey Cup appearance and all is roses...but it's not unless you are satisfied with complacent ideals and in the end..failure...last 2 years ended in failure...who cares we had the best record.. the yeah buts...oh yeah...the best culture here...etc...etc...apparently the last 2 yrs teams with lesser records and a poorer culture beat us...plain and simple..why is that?

And truthfully we were lucky and escaped with the 2nd cup...we only dominated in the first...we were hungry...had some youth injection...we had depth and solid rotation...and that dominance was apparent

And this narrative I cut down Canadians...well I was a born Canadian...and hold Canadian citizenship...but I am also educated enough and involved enough to know from what I still do in the game that majority of the Canadians in the league are of lesser talent level than their American counterparts...save from the elite players...sorry if that hurts your pride...but sometimes truth and reality stings.

When you look at our lineup right now and realize we could dress an all American dline...and that it would be superior to one with Canadians Thomas and Schmeck on it...infinitely better...but still ramble on that it wouldn't...more Canadians are better.....I just don't get the logic...we don't need to do that but you all know damn well we will...and we won't be our best version of ourselves we could be...every player on the roster should be pushed every training camp...every practice...every day....regardless of games played. 

So flame away now on your takes on things...I would expect nothing less than that from some of you

You say you're Canadian, you should support Canada and Canadians.

It's nonsense that people think Kramdi can't play SLB, because he's Canadian.  If he were a Yank, you people loving him.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I don't know if you listen to O'Shea's press conferences closely enough to comprehend the message he continually puts out.  Here are a few constants.

1. He relates to and likes intelligent hard working blue collar players. (Kramdi, Jake Thomas, Woli, Schoen, Neufeld)

2. He likes players who are willing to teach, as the coaches do not have enough time in the day to deal with slow learners, if you're dumb your chances of making the team are not good, no matter the physical talent.

3. He rewards commitment and longevity as any union boss would, he's also pro-Canadian.

4.  He respects the veterans in the room to protect their culture and choose their teammates wisely, assholes are not tolerated.

Edited by Fatty Liver

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I don't know if you listen to O'Shea's press conferences closely enough to comprehend the message he continually puts out.  Here are a few constants.

1. He relates to and likes intelligent hard working blue collar players. (Kramdi, Jake Thomas, Woli, Schoen, Neufeld)

2. He likes players who are willing to teach, as the coach's do not have enough time in the day to deal with slow learners, if you're dumb your chances of making the team are not good, no matter the physical talent.

3. He rewards commitment and longevity as any union boss would, he's also pro-Canadian.

4.  He respects the veterans in the room to protect their culture and choose their teammates wisely, assholes are not tolerated.

That's something alot of new players mention when they get here. Veterans put the team first are willing to help out the new guys. The vets will do what it takes to help coach up guys to help the team get better and win.

It's a stark contrast to when guys like Troy Westwood would ignore the new guys as they were in competition for the same job.

7 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

That's something alot of new players mention when they get here. Veterans put the team first are willing to help out the new guys. The vets will do what it takes to help coach up guys to help the team get better and win.

It's a stark contrast to when guys like Troy Westwood would ignore the new guys as they were in competition for the same job.

Echoes what Andrew Harris said when he joined the Argos in 2022, he found the animosity that existed within the dressing room hard to comprehend. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Are you complaining about Thomas?  You literally have three Canadian defensive tackles to replace him.  Same with Neufeld.

You say you're Canadian, you should support Canada and Canadians.

It's nonsense that people think Kramdi can't play SLB, because he's Canadian.  If he were a Yank, you people loving him.

Support how? I Support the best 7 should start..100 percent 

Kramdi isn't good enough when there are better options...be it American or Global...not that he's Canadian...if he was a Yank as you put it...and vying for that spot he likely isn't even on the roster actually...his BC actually solidifies his roster spot as he adds the over all Canadian roster fulfillment....I get it...you think all Canadians are on par..that's your choice

What's the Neufeld issue tho...he should have been our MOL candidate last yr

And yeah we have 3 other DT that are Canadian to use over Thomas...but none those 3 would Crack another teams starting lineup...and 2 likely wouldn't even make a roster...FOx...an import tho would

35 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Echoes what Andrew Harris said when he joined the Argos in 2022, he found the animosity that existed within the dressing room hard to comprehend. 

And they beat us for the Grey Cup....what's that say other than there many ways to skin a cat and be successful....and if not for poor coaching by the Argo staff in and leading up to the east final they would have been back...as they were the better team than the Al's...good chance too that if it was a rematch they would have took us out again with what we rostered in that game...and may have been a beat down

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

2. He likes players who are willing to teach, as the coaches do not have enough time in the day to deal with slow learners, if you're dumb your chances of making the team are not good, no matter the physical talent.

I brought this up earlier too. The onus is on the players to prove themselves.

29 minutes ago, Booch said:

Support how? I Support the best 7 should start..100 percent 

Kramdi isn't good enough when there are better options...be it American or Global...not that he's Canadian...if he was a Yank as you put it...and vying for that spot he likely isn't even on the roster actually...his BC actually solidifies his roster spot as he adds the over all Canadian roster fulfillment....I get it...you think all Canadians are on par..that's your choice

What's the Neufeld issue tho...he should have been our MOL candidate last yr

And yeah we have 3 other DT that are Canadian to use over Thomas...but none those 3 would Crack another teams starting lineup...and 2 likely wouldn't even make a roster...FOx...an import tho would

And they beat us for the Grey Cup....what's that say other than there many ways to skin a cat and be successful....and if not for poor coaching by the Argo staff in and leading up to the east final they would have been back...as they were the better team than the Al's...good chance too that if it was a rematch they would have took us out again with what we rostered in that game...and may have been a beat down

And where do the Argos find themselves heading into this season, and think about why it was allowed to happen?

6 hours ago, Booch said:

...I never once said fire anybody...I have stated numerous times Osh doesn't need to be canned...nor I want him canned

Your post yesterday seemed to say that though. 

On 2024-05-23 at 3:06 PM, Booch said:

the actual Boss's...Miller and Walter's need to say...'ok...look your ideals have failed us 3 straight yrs now" this is how we gonna move forward....You buy in and off we go...Hi FIFO....you balk and say nope.....See ya thanks for the memories

Now maybe your words don’t mean what your words mean, and this opinion is misunderstood. But I just wanted to quote your post directly and not be seen as twisting anything or misrepresenting you. 

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

And where do the Argos find themselves heading into this season, and think about why it was allowed to happen?

probably in a better spot without Chad Kelly...That much I can say....But they are still loaded with talent....some of which very envious of...and they roster it well.....guess we shall see....like every team right now

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

Your post yesterday seemed to say that though. 

Now maybe your words don’t mean what your words mean, and this opinion is misunderstood. But I just wanted to quote your post directly and not be seen as twisting anything or misrepresenting you. 

seem...or did....interpret how you wish....bring up the post in question as I have better things to do than go back and pick things out of posts where I not even sure what comment you referring to...no offense, but I know I have never said he needs to be fired....I did say tho if things continue and we fall flat....for the same reasons than yup...things need to cange be it from the Boss's aboe him telling him....or moving on...All good coaches loved by everyone eventually wear out their usefulness and get cooked.....just the way it is