2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

18 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

An inside DL of Fox and Lawson with Jake and Schmekle rotating in and the next best Imp. on the PR or active as needed growing and learning is a fairly solid rotation that is budget friendly and all indications are responsibility sound and has developed chemistry. 

Unfortunately, we lost Lawson to what seems like a serious injury. No doubt Jake and Schmekle are not as great a rotation as it was with Lawson in. Maybe one of the other IMP. interior d-line not named Fox is better than Jake and Schmekle, and maybe one can get into the rotation but assignment responsibility and chemistry and personality etc. plays into the equation, it's not just about pure talent. How many times do we see sports teams with ridiculous high end talent lose out to teams with far inferior talent.

It's not like Jake is terrible give him some benefit of the doubt. If we have Jake and Fox starting with Schmekle rotating to start the year it is what it is. Let's try to look at it glass half full.....with the injury to Lawson, one of the other interior D-lineman will get an extended look and more development time then they may have otherwise had, and because of that it may make our overall roster better.....

Yeah, hopefully the D-line guys can build off of Monday’s game and really flash next Friday…. Making the coaching staff find a way to keep them on the AR…. IE an all import front 4.

30 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

An inside DL of Fox and Lawson with Jake and Schmekle rotating in and the next best Imp. on the PR or active as needed growing and learning is a fairly solid rotation that is budget friendly and all indications are responsibility sound and has developed chemistry. 

Unfortunately, we lost Lawson to what seems like a serious injury. No doubt Jake and Schmekle are not as great a rotation as it was with Lawson in. Maybe one of the other IMP. interior d-line not named Fox is better than Jake and Schmekle, and maybe one can get into the rotation but assignment responsibility and chemistry and personality etc. plays into the equation, it's not just about pure talent. How many times do we see sports teams with ridiculous high end talent lose out to teams with far inferior talent.

It's not like Jake is terrible give him some benefit of the doubt. If we have Jake and Fox starting with Schmekle rotating to start the year it is what it is. Let's try to look at it glass half full.....with the injury to Lawson, one of the other interior D-lineman will get an extended look and more development time then they may have otherwise had, and because of that it may make our overall roster better.....

I have no issue with Jake's play, I may have a big issue with how much he plays though. At no point in his career has Fatboi shown an ability to play well when asked to be more than a rotational guy.

Edited by GCn20

28 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

there are 4 besides Fox that I have seen that offr way more....and factor in we dont even need a National one for any reason other than rotation and fill our overall Canadian content makes it even more convenient for us to dress an import interior with only one Nat as rotation.

And I doubt any interior guy will get an extra thought...other than to push Fox, and even he is probably the defacto starter based on he was here before...tho it's the right choice this time, and he should have already been in the mix in 2023....I'd bet my left nut Jake and Schmeckle are all ready pencilled in as the 2 guys on the roster game 1...regardless if anyone else blows the doors off in camp...sad reality how Osh makes his roster....

43 minutes ago, Booch said:

which is still too many....I will say that I am more than confident to predict that Jake will be the starting DT...backed by Schmeckle and we will rarely if at all see any sets without one or other on field....Gauthier in the middle, Ford on the corner (which I like) tho Cole will man SAM....we will start 9 Nationals for no other reason than thats how Osh operates and he will give a smug non informative reason for it other than "they are all number 1's" or something along those lines...but wont roster anything DI wise or other to take advantage of free rotation with no ratio juggling

We will dress FOX and WJ as imports on the D-line and 1 rotational guy likely as an end...and we only get that privledge because Bennett wasn't good to go and cut....Only one of moses or Gemmel/Petrishen will dress if we are lucky.....thats home opener defensive lineup .....and that is pretty sad...Prove me wrong Osh....please...just once

just watch him jogging around behind plays all tippy toed with zero impact...happens way too often

Agree thats all what is likely. Brady, Demski, woli, 3 ol, jake ford and I think ba won’t be back especially early it’ll be Hallet/kelly at S. so it could well be 10 ni starters with gauthier. 
 With a di at K Kr and should be DE, I’m hopeful the last will be a lber. With karamoko and Kramdi as back ups. Letting us start Moses gemmel petrishen, di another and pr the last. 

Roster wise I’m worried about the lack of news around Brady. I don’t think we gave any snaps to an imp rb last week. Augustine struggled with blitz pick up a lot and we need good pass pro at rb with all the ol changes. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Agree thats all what is likely. Brady, Demski, woli, 3 ol, jake ford and I think ba won’t be back especially early it’ll be Hallet/kelly at S. so it could well be 10 ni starters with gauthier. 
 With a di at K Kr and should be DE, I’m hopeful the last will be a lber. With karamoko and Kramdi as back ups. Letting us start Moses gemmel petrishen, di another and pr the last. 

Roster wise I’m worried about the lack of news around Brady. I don’t think we gave any snaps to an imp rb last week. Augustine struggled with blitz pick up a lot and we need good pass pro at rb with all the ol changes. 

i seen him running around the other day....doing stuff....so not too sure what his issue is, but didnt seem serius...and really...he needs no reps for most part

I tho would like to see Smith given a heavy work load out of backfield...and in slot....as he would be our best return option, as he is a legit RB with big play potential and an excellent reciever

I still getting the old boys club vibe and the head scratcher decisons tho....why would we change course now...especially with injuries.....whereas that is the opportune time to give a guy his shot and make it tough to take it away...we know what our pluggers can do, and they won't be doing more magically...use them as a last resort if new blood needs some sessoning....I'd roll 6 games with youth and aggressive hungry players...see what you have vs the other teams game day rosters...if we have such a great culture and vet leadership than we should over come a new import DT...MLB and extra DE with ease...

4 hours ago, Booch said:

....That being said....a lot of our cuts and guys we do release get scooped up....

OK, but that’s what I am asking. Who? Pigrome is the only notable name that jumps to mind. And he wasn’t going to beat out Collaros or Brown, and he failed at his chance to be the short yardage WB and was replaced by the veteran incumbent Prukop who did a much better job at the sneaks. And then when he went to Ottawa he did nothing special there. I’m trying to recall a cut who went somewhere else and made an impact and was an obvious mistake in being cut. We hold on to vets for sure, but do we really know that better options have been ignored? Only proof would be if they got scooped and outperformed elsewhere. Otherwise maybe the lack of better newer recruits who should bump the old guard  falls on the scouts who aren’t finding better talent. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

OK, but that’s what I am asking. Who? Pigrome is the only notable name that jumps to mind. And he wasn’t going to beat out Collaros or Brown, and he failed at his chance to be the short yardage WB and was replaced by the veteran incumbent Prukop who did a much better job at the sneaks. And then when he went to Ottawa he did nothing special there. I’m trying to recall a cut who went somewhere else and made an impact and was an obvious mistake in being cut. We hold on to vets for sure, but do we really know that better options have been ignored? Only proof would be if they got scooped and outperformed elsewhere. Otherwise maybe the lack of better newer recruits who should bump the old guard  falls on the scouts who aren’t finding better talent. 

Are we just playing silly bugger now ?

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Starting is such a dumb term for DT though. It doesn’t matter how he’s listed on the DC, it’s what percentage of snaps he gets.

As Booch said, I think he plays 60+% of the snaps and one DT spot is divided between him and Schmekel.

1 hour ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Oh for sure and I know I'm simplifying this probably a bit too much but it's not him being terrible at football, he's a pro, it's his conditioning which consistently shows it's ugly head quite quickly during opposition O drives.  

Is there any hope that the coaches seriously look at an all import Dline because of the injury to Lawson?  Are they now discussing it because they realize they can’t possibly be comfortable starting the season with Jake and Schmeckle?  Those conversations have to be taking place…. Right?

Im afraid my gut is telling me the same as others.  Hope I’m wrong:

Just now, BomberBall. said:

Is there any hope that the coaches seriously look at an all import Dline because of the injury to Lawson?  Are they now discussing it because they realize they can’t possibly be comfortable starting the season with Jake and Schmeckle?  Those conversations have to be taking place…. Right?

Im afraid my gut is telling me the same as others.  Hope I’m wrong:

in all honesty...I hope so...but highly doubt it...and if asked will get a answer that basically says nothing other than "we are happy with who we have....and they are all #1's"....or something of that ilk...which is far from true...and just doeant cut it...if a guy has been here 1 yr..6 months...7 years...they are all part of the team and working toward the same goal...let the best compete and play...

25 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That kicker we cut last year did pretty well after getting picked up by Hamilton. 😂

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

That kicker we cut last year did pretty well after getting picked up by Hamilton. 😂

haha...oh yeah...true...

Thing is with after camp cuts....you can't go off the "ya but" nobody grabbed this guy..that guy...teams invest time and money in their own off-sesson recruiting, needs, fit etc....so they will give thir guys time....also a guy we may have cut could have offered more of what cut them for...but not elsewhere...it's not us cut and dried as apples to oranges

his non answers...seeing no reason to change course...etc..etc...can almost be sickening....and yup...same ol same ol...He talks about not being good enough....and looking into why...and not settle for accepting...but does exactly that.

If Jake was to answer that question his answer would be...accept in the fact if u can stick on the roster...you are garuanteed a role....regardless if you are the best

I think people might be surprised with some of the names who do and do not make the roster this season. Just a hunch. To me it feels like there is more willingness to shake things up. For that reason, I'm waiting til final cuts are actually made before I complain.

I also wouldn't read much into O'Shea's pressers, they've been exactly the same for about ten years now regardless of how well or how poorly things are going. He is certainly consistent in his messaging.

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I think people might be surprised with some of the names who do and do not make the roster this season. Just a hunch. To me it feels like there is more willingness to shake things up. For that reason, I'm waiting til final cuts are actually made before I complain.

I also wouldn't read much into O'Shea's pressers, they've been exactly the same for about ten years now regardless of how well or how poorly things are going. He is certainly consistent in his messaging.

^^^
Which is why I gave up on the Coach's Show on CJOB and don't bother to listen to it.  I admit that I got spoiled in the Kelly year but even Lapo gave some sort of effort at more than one or two word answers to questions.   Not worth listening to 45 minutes of commercials to hear zero insight on anything.

But hey that's life on that front, I'll take it every day of the week if it means we get to the Cup every year.  

26 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I feel like this would have been the case, but that Lawson injury’s for instance has hurt the progress of killing the old boys club a bit. If Lawson was healthy I think Jake starts out on the 6 game. 

17 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

^^^
Which is why I gave up on the Coach's Show on CJOB and don't bother to listen to it.  I admit that I got spoiled in the Kelly year but even Lapo gave some sort of effort at more than one or two word answers to questions.   Not worth listening to 45 minutes of commercials to hear zero insight on anything.

But hey that's life on that front, I'll take it every day of the week if it means we get to the Cup every year.  

for sure. I think the question is at what point does it stop being worth it? If we are a play off team that doesn’t make the cup? And how many cups in a row can you lose with out making changes? Being the first place loser has serious diminishing returns. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

for sure. I think the question is at what point does it stop being worth it? If we are a play off team that doesn’t make the cup? And how many cups in a row can you lose with out making changes? Being the first place loser has serious diminishing returns. 

one more year, I think.