2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

41 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm not certain Biggie was a top 10 LB last year in a 9 team league. 

He wasn't that bad, but he wouldn't have made the argos PR either. 

16 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

If Biggie is off the books long term he most certainly does have the cap space.

Yes, that pesky all star award was a mirage. Even though it wasn't his best ever season or anything, the guy is easily still in the top half of the league as a MLBer. EASILY. Don't believe that...fine...but the guys he plays against think enough of him to name him the CFLPA all star. That may have been somewhat a reputation accolade but I am 100% certain they didn't vote a guy outside the top 10 as their choice of all star.

Allstar awards and year end awards are mostly politics, reputation, and team success. 

Does any one want to rank the top 5 lbers in the league and make a case for biggie being better than any guys in particular? I don't think half the league would start biggie over their guys. I also don't think biggie was even close to half as good as the elite level of MLBer play in the cfl the last two years, when at his healthiest. Hes still solid, and we do some stuff in our system to make the most of his range, and when he's not in cover he frankly doesn't have to do much. He eats a block other wise. He isn't 1/10th the player he was in his prime, which is to be expected of a lber who will turn 36 this year. I mean how many games has he played? 200?

1 minute ago, Pete said:

It was Kramdl's turn yesterday, today Bighill. You'd think our defense was the worst in the league ly, oh wait no one gave up less points than us

Hard to do if your lbs arent performing

Eventually, everyone falls off. Is Bighill a top 5 (or 10) LBer in this league? 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

It was Kramdl's turn yesterday, today Bighill. You'd think our defense was the worst in the league ly, oh wait no one gave up less points than us

Hard to do if your lbs arent performing

It isn't hard to do if your Lbers aren't preforming. Lbers have the smallest impact on defensive performance in the CFL. It's a passing league with a huge field. The best defensive weapon is rushing the passer. The next best is coverage. Lbers plug up lanes, scrape to the ball and close gaps. 

Defensive points allowed is also dependent on a lot of factors. The biggest two are offensive TOP and offensive points scored. The more points you score, the earlier the game goes into cruise control. When the O scores a major on the first 4 possessions constantly the defense gets a much easier job to do. 

IF you think the attitude towards biggie is new, you must've missed the grey cup. The biggest reasons he struggled last year were health (now hes still hurt or hurt again) and role/lack of a nose (hes looking at the same role and probably not a nose tackle again.)

Sorry, i dont buy the argument that lbs aren't key parts of defense. (Especially in our defense where lbs are critical parts of qb pressures) The criticism of Bighill performance isn't new, but not sure its warranted. 

I agree the concern on health is.

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

There have been a few that have pointed out Biggie's decreasing impact and high salary for a couple of years. It wasn't bad when he took a discount. 

I just want to see competition at TC. If Biggie wins the job, then good on him. I just think it's time for succession planning

Its been time going on two years now. Thats the most frustrating thing.

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sorry, i dont buy the argument that lbs aren't key parts of defense. (Especially in our defense where lbs are critical parts of qb pressures) The criticism of Bighill performance isn't new, but not sure its warranted. 

I agree the concern on health is.

They arent. Biggie eating a block doesn't generate pressure, little on being critical to it. We've used nose tackles, twists, cheetah fronts  and db blitzes to far greater result. 

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Bighill is an absolute legend and was a huge part of this teams ascension.... but when 100% healthy he is just good enough. If he is at all dinged (which he seems to have been for the last couple seasons) he isn't able to play at the necessary level. Father time is undefeated.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952vhkkf3nnbc2xe341py

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Bighill is an absolute legend and was a huge part of this teams ascension.... but when 100% healthy he is just good enough. If he is at all dinged (which he seems to have been for the last couple seasons) he isn't able to play at the necessary level. Father time is undefeated.

Nailed it. And his career is top 5 ish all time. Maybe the best lber skill set ever up here

Father Time is undefeated and it’s looking like Biggies best days are now well behind him. Happens to all of them. Personally I’ve seen this coming the last 2 years now so if it was me and I’m a cold hearted prick who just wants to win, I’d have released him already. This right here is an example of a difficult decision our coaches need to make. But reality is it shouldn’t be that difficult of a decision to make. 36? It’s time. Biggie won’t take himself out, the coaches need to. They didn’t do it in the biggest game of the year tho last year so the loyalty might cost us again. 

Edited by Goalie

I get that many here don't feel Biggie is as good as he used to be, and that is completely true. However, he is not nearly as bad as people here are suggesting. Is it time that we look for an alternative? Probably, because he will likely continue to decline. However, suggesting he couldn't make another team's PR or isn't a top10 MLB in this league is nonsense. The guy is now just an average MLB. He is neither an asset nor a liability. He has gone from MOP to average. Average isn't terrible though.

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I get that many here don't feel Biggie is as good as he used to be, and that is completely true. However, he is not nearly as bad as people here are suggesting. Is it time that we look for an alternative? Probably, because he will likely continue to decline. However, suggesting he couldn't make another team's PR or isn't a top10 MLB in this league is nonsense. The guy is now just an average MLB. He is neither an asset nor a liability. He has gone from MOP to average. Average isn't terrible though.

He couldn’t make the argos pr the last two years. They’ve been stacked at lber rotating guys who are hands down better.  
good is the enemy of great. League isn’t lacking for mlbers either. 

23 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Father Time is undefeated and it’s looking like Biggies best days are now well behind him. Happens to all of them. Personally I’ve seen this coming the last 2 years now so if it was me and I’m a cold hearted prick who just wants to win, I’d have released him already. This right here is an example of a difficult decision our coaches need to make. But reality is it shouldn’t be that difficult of a decision to make. 36? It’s time. Biggie won’t take himself out, the coaches need to. They didn’t do it in the biggest game of the year tho last year so the loyalty might cost us again. 

Cal Murphy..Bouno...Matthews...all would have...

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

he needs to be the DI now...limited reps...special packages...A+ in game replacement.....not a 80%+ of the reps guy anymore tho

Just now, Brandon said:

Bighill is far from being a complete write off.   He's gone from a A+ player down to a B / B+ which is still really good.    People need to stop looking for a player to crap on just for the sakes of having to complain.    

role guy yup.....injuries at tis age happen more frequently...and take longer to recover from...if you even can get back to 100%...he also has slowed down in his agility capabilities....no shot against him....it just happens....but him on the roster in a diminished role makes us better, and deep....hopefully the brains in the organization see that

15 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Bighill is far from being a complete write off.   He's gone from a A+ player down to a B / B+ which is still really good.    People need to stop looking for a player to crap on just for the sakes of having to complain.    

1*2H9B3JjYvoxG08LjkW8aSw.gif

Edited by kelownabomberfan

14 minutes ago, Brandon said:

If we have an A+ player in his spot we probably win the last Grey Cup.

He’s 36 ffs. If there’s one guy that prob should be replaced it’s bighill. Bryant prob shortly also. It’s not crapping on a guy because his best days are behind him. It’s fact. Coaches are here to make the tough decisions when the players refuse to. Bighill shouldn’t have played the cup game last year and if this year is starting like this it’s time to let him go. Loyalty doesn’t win championships. Playing guys who are hurt don’t win championships. This isn’t kids under 10 soccer where everyone gets a turn. It’s the pros. Bighill is a liability at his age now. 

Edited by Goalie