2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

23 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Pinball is a very personable individual but no one is saying he has the acumen to run a league which is roughly equivalent to herding cats. A LOT of cats.

Yeah well the herd of cats are loose and Ambrosie is looking for dogs...

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

It's interesting to see so many have BC up top. Not sure I understand it. They lost a decent amount of talent on O. Not sure about their defense, but I just don't see them being better than last year.

Bc  lost fewer players than we did and did a better job, for now. replacing them. 

ie lost  Betts  >  Robertson 

Rhymes> Stanback (giving them more balance)   

Whitehead .>   Mcinnis

Edward -Cooper  > Ciante Evans

Baron > Richardson

We were neck and neck with them in the standing most of the year, whether we repeat will depend on our recruiting

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Bc  lost fewer players than we did and did a better job, for now. replacing them. 

Whitehead .>   Mcinnis

Baron > Richardson

We were neck and neck with them in the standing most of the year, whether we repeat will depend on our recruiting

You think that’s a good job of replacing guys?

Edited by wbbfan

Not saying they are any better as a team, but they' ve done a good job of minimizing losses.

In comparison we lost Jeffcoat ,Walker, houston, Grey and Bailey which we need to replace with entry level guys.  Time will tell.

I've watched Vernon Adams play in Mont......watched him play in B.C. ....I'll be very surprised to see him advance his club to post regular season success this year or anytime in the near future....Highly over rated and is an injury waiting to happen ...In other words the leo's will be waiting a long time for any real post regular season success as long as he's behind centre.....BUT they like him in Van. though

24 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Jeffcoat is the only real loss. Grey wasn’t a starter. Houston was benched multiple times despite his picks. Walker isn’t really that big of a loss either and Bailey was the 5th receiver. 

Grey was our starting LG.... so yes, he was a starter. But I agree with the gist of your post.... a lot of what the OP calling "losses" is actually addition by subtraction, IMO. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Whitehead .>   Mcinnis

Baron > Richardson

I think Stanback is completely shot,  he's not the same guy as he was 3 - 4 years ago.    That is a big drop off.  

The players above were still starters, and when you introduce new players, especially those without cfl experience there os a learning curve. Luckily enough we have a strong coaching and scouting crew to help with that

Regarding Stanback obviously they feel he's an upgrade to what they had,but I agree his best years are done

16 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I think Stanback is completely shot,  he's not the same guy as he was 3 - 4 years ago.    That is a big drop off.  

Yep, plus it doesn't matter who they have in the backfield if they refuse to run the ball.  It might balance their offense better on paper, but it doesn't mean much until BC shows they're willing to change their play calling.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Whitehead .>   Mcinnis

Baron > Richardson

There's exactly one upgrade in that picture and he's coming off 2 Achilles injuries. Again, I don't see it. I want break down every one of these but don't have the time....so I'll stick with one. 

Stanback isn't the back he once was. And comparing him to Ryhmes is laughable at best in terms of production. That's ignoring that BC regularly ignores the run game. 

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

The players above were still starters, and when you introduce new players, especially those without cfl experience there os a learning curve. Luckily enough we have a strong coaching and scouting crew to help with that

Regarding Stanback obviously they feel he's an upgrade to what they had,but I agree his best years are done

Jeffcoat and grey will be replaced with players who have CFL experience in the Bomber systems. Houston likely as well. Maybe not Bailey...

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Yep, plus it doesn't matter who they have in the backfield if they refuse to run the ball.  It might balance their offense better on paper, but it doesn't mean much until BC shows they're willing to change their play calling.

True, though they have even more reason to go with a good pass pro back which Stan field isn’t. 
 Watching Hamilton and bc consistently go after washed backs is soo odd. 

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Dont the Argos have a PR person to rein this guy in? Kelly just cant help himself.

They haven’t been punished for not holding him back to date why start now. 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Jeffcoat is the only real loss. Grey wasn’t a starter. Houston was benched multiple times despite his picks. Walker isn’t really that big of a loss either and Bailey was the 5th receiver. 

The difference this year with jeffcoat is we get him for 1/3 less of a season. A lot of opportunity to improve from the guys we moved on from. Dl is one of those spots that’s easy to find high quality imps at too. 

22 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

McInnes had surplanted Whitehead last season and was starting over him. Not an addition really. Stanback's best days are behind him. A healthy Stove is better than Baron but Stove hasn't been healthy since 2021. Lions will be missing Hatcher for most of next year and he was arguably their top WR.

To be fair, stove missed half of 2021 too. I love the guy but I’ve got no expectations for him. He’d be a flyer at this point far from a projectable starter. 

On 2024-04-15 at 2:36 PM, rebusrankin said:

Beverette looks like the only one who knows what they are talking about.

Lewis has been smoking waaaaay too much weed.

11 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

what a freaking bonehead....

Making friends wherever he goes....

19 hours ago, Pete said:

Whitehead .>   Mcinnis

Baron > Richardson

How does McInnis replace Whitehead? He was there last year too no? 

Stanback doesn’t replace Rhymes, they play different positions. 

Ciante Evans is maybe a slight upgrade over Edwards-Cooper, if Evans doesn’t decline due to age. 

Can Stove even play? If he can then yeah, that’s an upgrade. 

I still don’t see how BC’s off-season does anything to rank them above the Bombers, Montreal or Toronto. 

On another note, with the GC being played in Vancouver, get ready for it you guys. 
TSN is going to slobber all over the Lions like nothing we’ve ever seen.