2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

14 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Longer term deal is a good idea, maybe Walters can convince Schoen to sign if he offers him $650k over 3 years.

I like the idea of longer term contracts for established stars...First we have to find out what Schoen's figure is for reupping here and go from there.....Good tactic for players you really covet BUT in Schoen's case I believe he's still interested in something down south...Until that's no longer an issue I don't think any talks will be taking place 

45 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Not awful by current wr standards but I wouldn’t wanna pay begel 200k a year. 

He's one of the top CFL receivers & the terms are good for both sides. Also heard that Dickenson said they can't afford to bring in another qb so Maier is his guy. One less CFL team to go to when he lands.

The market for Brown is shrinking.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He's one of the top CFL receivers & the terms are good for both sides. Also heard that Dickenson said they can't afford to bring in another qb so Maier is his guy. One less CFL team to go to when he lands.

Going all in on Maier was very foolish imo. The guy showed next to nothing 

Calgary’s loss will be Ottawa’s gain I guess

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Doors closing all over the place for the pivot position....Ottawa seems the best place for Brown at the moment UNLESS Masoli decides and the team decides they want to continue with his services

1 minute ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

According to 3DN Maier made. 

Hard money: $405,000
Maximum value: $447,000

No reason he shouldn't take a $100k haircut as he didn't produce up to those salary expectations.

38 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don’t put him in the top tier at all. I have him as a good established guy but behind the elite tier and the second tier of young upstarts that break out every year. 

I do agree that browns market is quickly shrinking though. 

38 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

it wasn’t as much about maier as it was about blm being toast. But maier isn’t a guy I’d want to have as qb1 on my team. 

34 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

According to 3DN Maier made. 

Hard money: $405,000
Maximum value: $447,000

No reason he shouldn't take a $100k haircut as he didn't produce up to those salary expectations.

Ooof. 

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

interesting. More punts? Same danger but for less guys. Idk how they are gonna do it with out making it a gong show. 

19 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I don’t put him in the top tier at all. I have him as a good established guy but behind the elite tier and the second tier of young upstarts that break out every year. 

I do agree that browns market is quickly shrinking though. 

it wasn’t as much about maier as it was about blm being toast. But maier isn’t a guy I’d want to have as qb1 on my team. 

Ooof. 

interesting. More punts? Same danger but for less guys. Idk how they are gonna do it with out making it a gong show. 

Opt for ball placement after a td?

I'd be somewhat on board if the team that scored the TD got the option for those kickoffs...or ball at 40 for other team.  After a FG let the receiving team decide.

Otherwise up to the last 3 mins of the game you penalize the team that just scored if they want to maybe try an onside or gain field position.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

Look I’m all for player safety but why is the league so fascinated with putting the ball on the 40?
It’s an easy FG drive at the least for any competent offence. As a reward for your D giving up a touchdown? That’s just plain stupid. 

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Again, foolish of them. 
I’m pretty sure it was always going to be Ottawa though.
On the field, I don’t see them as the shitshow some others here do. 
They were a decent team last year with no QB and a lot of bad luck. 
Hell, they beat the Bombers.
With a consistently good QB, couple pieces in FA? They could get very good very quickly. 

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Cfl can’t even manage regular in season stats for 3/4 of the year lol 

5 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Great question. Reasonable to ask so decisions are evidence-informed not a small group of people cooking something up.

I would guess that this is based on what the NFL discovered about CTE and how reckless the hitting is on special teams. It isn’t about obvious injuries but the long term effects of brain damage. Remember that the wedge busting play and having more than two blockers together is a new rule to prevent the kicking team have that suicide player blast into 4 blockers to “bust the wedge”. All a result of the CTE lawsuit and NFL settlement and reducing the risk of brain damage long term. 

40 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Look I’m all for player safety but why is the league so fascinated with putting the ball on the 40?
It’s an easy FG drive at the least for any competent offence. As a reward for your D giving up a touchdown? That’s just plain stupid.

Following the huge downturn in scoring in 2021, the league stated out loud that they wanted more scoring and less punts, so they moved kickoffs back 5 yards and changed the starting point post-FG to the 40 to facilitate more field goal chances with shorter drives. 

23 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I would guess that this is based on what the NFL discovered about CTE and how reckless the hitting is on special teams. It isn’t about obvious injuries but the long term effects of brain damage. Remember that the wedge busting play and having more than two blockers together is a new rule to prevent the kicking team have that suicide player blast into 4 blockers to “bust the wedge”. All a result of the CTE lawsuit and NFL settlement and reducing the risk of brain damage long term. 

Following the huge downturn in scoring in 2021, the league stated out loud that they wanted more scoring and less punts, so they moved kickoffs back 5 yards and changed the starting point post-FG to the 40 to facilitate more field goal chances with shorter drives. 

Well if your guess is correct that needs to be communicated directly to the teams and fans of the league.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I think the downturn in scoring was more to do with the fact that

A-They had a year with no football

B- 6/9 teams were using a new offence, new QB or both

C- The Bomber D kicked the crap out of everyone and single-handedly brought down the scoring average 

I feel like the league jumps the gun implementing rule changes a lot of the time. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny