2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Trevor Harris-$500,300

Yoshi-$230,000

Lanier-$250,000

Bane-$175,000

Ouellette-Not reported so I'll go $170,000 for now

That is a total of $1.33 million for five players

Collaros-$600,000

Brady-$230,000

Dalton-$230,000

Kenny-$285,000

Bryant-$180.000 (might be less)

That is a total of 1.5 million for 5 players

Yeah, I get that its an extra $200,000 but all those Riders talking about how our cap space is gone and we're doomed, um not so much.

It really doesn't matter in such a small sample size of each roster. Every team will have a handful of highly paid guys, medium paid guys, and ELCs. I would suspect our starting lineup will likely be more expensive than theirs and we will rely on our excellent recruitment to fill out most of our depth with ELCs. 

9 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

As much as payments have been at a premium, they’ve all been positions of need, and they’re talented guys. Can’t undervalue the culture a guy like Hardrick brings too.

Hardrick, if he doesn't re-sign with the Bombers in the exclusive window, will be a big culture get for the Riders. However, there is a very significant chance this contract ages badly for the Riders. Yoshi was worn down by the end of the season last year and began to struggle. Might have been nicked up, might be father time. I do know that the Bombers rarely ever walk away from a veteran player like Yoshi unless it is very clear that salary will definitely outweigh performance.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Not that it matters but I was hoping strev would take #16. It’s just such a perfect QB number, I can’t explain why. 
Same reason fast RB’s should be #22 and power backs #32. It used to drive me nuts that Freddy Reid wore 32 lol 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

8 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Not that it matters but I was hoping strev would take #16. It’s just such a perfect QB number, I can’t explain why. 
Same reason fast RB’s should be #22 and power backs #32. It used to drive me nuts that Freddy Reid wore 32 lol 

Were you my coach growing up?😉 I started out with the number 22 when I played running back, and then switched to 16 to play quarterback, I agree the perfect numbers! 

10 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

This is a VERY specific take... I've always been a fan of the traditional numbering system (90s = DL, 80s = WR, 60s = OL, etc)... but that a specific number should not only go to a specific position, but a specific type of player... is a little odd... any reason for this stance?

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

This is a VERY specific take... I've always been a fan of the traditional numbering system (90s = DL, 80s = WR, 60s = OL, etc)... but that a specific number should not only go to a specific position, but a specific type of player... is a little odd... any reason for this stance?

No particular reason. I’m a football nerd, and I’ve thought about these things far more than I’d care to admit. 

For example in my head, star DBs should wear 21 or single digits. Nasty interior OL should be in the 60s. Tall WR’s= 88 or teen numbers. No reason why, it’s just an aesthetic thing for me. 
When I played minor football as a kid (Safety/DB), they gave me 46. Drove me nuts. That’s a fullback’s number lol. 

John Madden actually had a whole chapter on it in one of his books, he had the same system in his head. 

Probably the same reason I care about uniforms, turf, stadiums more than the average fan. 

17 hours ago, Brandon said:

Maybe I'm the crazy one who believes that the top paid player at a position should be the best or at least top three in the league.

Hardrick I would assume is in the 10-15 range.

With all due respect, there are not 15 RTs that are better than Hardwick. That's ridiculous to even suggest. He's top 3 for sure. It's not his ability that's the problem really. When he's on, hes one of the best. It's his age and potential for declining play that makes the contract crazy.

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

Some interesting stuff here including that BC offered a 3 year deal starting at 250 and escalating, but at the last minute when it seemed like something couldn't get done, Wade stepped in and shut that **** down.... Kingpin strikes again....

Good on Wade. He likes wins and full stadiums and stepped up when needed.

Also, 250K in Vancouver doesn't get you nearly as much as 230K in Winnipeg given the cost of living - and I'm sure Brady will have sponsorship opportunities in the city as well to bridge that gap a bit.

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

Baumung was no better today, either...

Let's just say if Richmond was such a hot heap of blocking power he wouldn't have been sitting here for 4 years waiting.  Think of all the import tackles that have come and gone from the league.  Teams using 3-4-5 guys in a season.  

10 hours ago, Mike said:

If there’s anything our scouting has been especially successful with, it’s been finding players to patch holes in our OL. Genuinely not worried at all about finding a tackle replacement.

And you just keep cycling through guys until you find the one.

Davis II...Carney...Jeffcoat.....Kongbo....Oakman...Mike Moore...do we see one...or 2 of these guys in camp this spring?....And Walker talking to 2 other teams....do we want him back?....personally I'd want Fox over him as he is more active and powerful, can play cover teams...and is still on an entry...he's a break-out player waiting to happen. and the guy we bringing back from before who was in USFL...or whatever crap league it was...could be a load in the middle

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

Davis II...Carney...Jeffcoat.....Kongbo....Oakman...Mike Moore...do we see one...or 2 of these guys in camp this spring?....And Walker talking to 2 other teams....do we want him back?....personally I'd want Fox over him as he is more active and powerful, can play cover teams...and is still on an entry...he's a break-out player waiting to happen. and the guy we bringing back from before who was in USFL...or whatever crap league it was...could be a load in the middle

agreed that I'd let Walker go if someone's gonna overpay him. There's other options out there...

Just now, Mike said:

Bennett and Kobe both back with their clubs 

Wonder if we just weren't interested in Bennett, or his ask was outside what we willing to pay, or if we have designs on Kongbo back instead?.....I hope it's not a case that they think our current Bennett/schmeckle/Thomas Canadian talent is going to be the back-ups/depth guys, cause that would be the weakest group in the league bar none

15 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

This is me putting out good positive vibes that Davis II is in the works and will be on our roster this year. 

Manifest! 

I tried manifesting 1 million dollars. But when I woke up I was as sick as I’ve ever been so I ****** up. 

Where Kongbo at. He seemed like he would be a fit.