2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

3 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Sorry to hear about that man, Hope things get better soon.

Thank you! Not getting worse thankfully, have basically had a bad chest cold and exhaustion since late November. Not the flu, not COVID, not strep, doctors really don't know what's going on with me. My best guess is long COVID. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’m going to try and be self-aware with this because I know I prefer Schoen over Brady myself, but I did have a conversation with my dad the other day where he made a very good point: we’ve never played Schoenball in the 4th Q to seal a win. We’ve made a habit of playing Bradyball. That stuff does matter and I don’t think I had really considered that until he said it.

To be fair, we also played Harris ball. Let's not pretend this team has focused on the run only for Brady. I'm sure it wouldn't have changed if someone else was getting the ball this year.

Just now, Mike said:

I hear you brother. I just don’t like arguing over fairytales. I get we’re only going off what we have, I just don’t understand the purpose.

This isn’t like the Hardrick deal to me. I don’t need to know anything other than “Hardrick” and “highest paid American OL” to know that’s stupid. Way more at play here.

Fair enough- and dammit you quoted me pre autocorrect edit. 

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

Wait. You led the “This is the year fans will turn on Mike O’Shea, and if he doesn’t change his roster ways Wade Miller should sit him down and tell him his services are no longer needed” after a 15-3 season and losing by a blocked field goal in the Grey Cup, then started a whole thread about getting rid of Zach Collaros, and NOW you are expressing surprise about an entitled and spoiled fan base?

I develop my opinions based on what I see with my eyes, not based on a bunch of speculative numbers on paper. You won’t hear me speak any differently - I do think something needs to be done about O’Shea’s roster management and I do think Collaros has proven himself an underwhelming playoff performer on a decline.

Any other hit and run questions?

Just now, bearpants said:

It's also relative too... Ouellette is easily the #2 back on the board right now... let's say Sask is planning to pay him 200... then 230 seems like decent value for Brady

Ya curious to see what Ouellette is getting. BO is definitely worth 15% more for passport alone.

Just now, blue85gold said:

Looking forward to Brady playing bully ball.

If ZC is slowing down like many of us think he is, then the run game becomes that much more important.

Something that hasn't fully sunk in for me yet.... We're up by a TD with 5 mins left in the game... and now we send BRADY AND STREVELLER on to the field to close it out... good luck other team!

Just now, Mike said:

I develop my opinions based on what I see with my eyes, not based on a bunch of speculative numbers on paper. You won’t hear me speak any differently - I do think something needs to be done about O’Shea’s roster management and I do think Collaros has proven himself an underwhelming playoff performer on a decline.

we in the same camp here.....I had given ZC the benefit of doubt being injured for the 2022 Cup...But last yr kind of gave me that sense too...now tho with Strev in the mix....could be the difference maker if we get back...Dru didn't have that in him to work a scheme like we did with ZC and Strev

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Argument could be made without Strev we don’t even win our 1st cup. Zach is certainly not Patrick mahomes in playoff time. 

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Collaros is the problem contract on this team not Oliveira. 

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah...Its not about being spoiled....My opinion...and mine only is that we could have paid an import back a third of that, and got excellent production, and have solidified our Dline, and likely another Dback or linebacker, and been a deeper...stronger team.....

Was it the team feeling the need to sign the local guy?...I don't have that answer, but I could care less where a player came from to be honest...and now does this have an effect that is why we signed Thomas...Kolo on value deals, Already have Bennett on a rookie deal and will be seeing heavy does of them all yr basically just taking u a roster spot...Backed up by a Schmeckle....and WJ having one of Haba/Garbutt or a diff new recruit as his running mate...and nothing behind him? and also hinders us bringing back a BOLO?...Then to me it's totally not worth it....Juice def not worth the squeeze...Hopefully Walters has some crazy magic going on to allow us to not have to rape Peter to pay Paul

This.

Look, I'm happy Brady is a part of the team and I've also been an advocate of signing and retaining local players going back to my days on OB.  However, if we look at the CFL (and running backs in general), it is a largely disposable position and I feel the money could have been better spent plugging holes across the roster.  Hell, I'll even come out and say that if the the spend on Brady is what costs us Schoen, I'd be disappointed.  "Bradyball" or not .. if he goes down, you're going to have to plug the spot with an American back anyways (see last year).  Lose a guy like Schoen, we literally have nobody stepping in to fill that void.  We have a terrible track record of integrating new WRs into our offense and seeing them any sort of have sustained success.

Just now, rebusrankin said:

I am just going to celebrate the fact that Brady is back.

And let's not forget that the dude is a ******* complete back. Running, receiving, blocking. No guarantees a cheap American is proficient in all of that right off the hop. 

Dude was the legit MOP in the league last year. Bringing him back is not a bad thing at all.

8 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Ya curious to see what Ouellette is getting. BO is definitely worth 15% more for passport alone.

Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet, I think it's also noteworthy what BO provides in pass protection. Whether he's in to block the whole time, or chips the end/edge rusher then sneaks out for a check down in the flats, Brady is the best in pass protection too which is a criminally under-appreciated part of the game as it relates to the position.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

And let's not forget that the dude is a ******* complete back. Running, receiving, blocking. No guarantees a cheap American is proficient in all of that right off the hop. 

Dude was the legit MOP in the league last year. Bringing him back is not a bad thing at all.

Of course I make my most recent post and see this mentioning his blocking lol.

8 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Something that hasn't fully sunk in for me yet.... We're up by a TD with 5 mins left in the game... and now we send BRADY AND STREVELLER on to the field to close it out... good luck other team!

They drive the field all the way down to the bus and ride off laughing. 

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Collaros is the problem contract on this team not Oliveira. 

He could take a 100k hair cut and still be making a ton while making this easier for the team. Didn’t he do this one before too? 

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

We will find out he restructured probably 

Given the amount of tax loop restructuring deals for high dollar Americans this off season it’s very possibly. 

Just now, Mr. Perfect said:

Genuinely curious - why??

BO is good- granted. I think he was also the benefactor of an offense designed around him, a commitment to running the ball and an Oline that has a powerful run aspect to it.  I think you put Stanback, Brown or Karey in that offence, I feel any one of them would have churned out more yard from scrimmage.

Now factor in  the savings- either one of those three, probably could be had for less than $150k- a savings of ~$90k. That is a good chunk of change for other areas of need.

Also, I think Stanback would have been a really good fit here- I think his running style fits the Bombers Identity best.

I do like the hometown hearo story line and he is genuinely a good egg. BUt if its team first- I think flipping the rb to import would be the way to go.  Just my opinion. 

This about where I'd thought hed sign. Figured it be in TO cause I see Dalton getting close to 300k. And thought that would be the preference.

I love that Brady is back. Calms my nerves about protecting Zach. They idea that "we've gotten worse" is absolutely stupid. No one's knows how good or bad this team will be until the end of camp at the very earliest and likely 6-8 weeks after that.

I still say it's harder to replace Schoen than Brady. Glad he's back. Hopefully we make it a 2 for Tuesday!!!