2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I don't think it has anything to with mediocrity or what ever... 

The bottom line is: We didn't get it done in 2023. we didn't get it done the before in 2022... are we making any moves that shows that we are improving?

Yeah, 3 years ago- 2 of those it didn't, and we are trotting out a lot of those same players in 2021.

we were pretty fortunate to get it done in 2021 as well when u think about it

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Sort of. We had some bad turnovers, and some lucky/great plays by the DBs but I feel like Ticats were fortunate to not be shitkicked like 2019.
If Evans hadn’t got hurt I don’t think Hamilton even makes that game close. 

Masoli had the Bombers number over the years. 

Also, after the second pick Zach actually caught fire and played really well the rest of that game, something that didn’t happen at all in the 2 losses. 

8 hours ago, Geebrr said:

It isn’t lucky to dominate the league in a historical fashion all year -  then make plays at critical times. 

That is ******* insanity. 

Getting to the Grey Cup has nothing to do with how we played in the Grey Cup. We were not lucky to get there at all, we earned it. We were lucky to win.

14 hours ago, Mike said:

Jeffcoat is the exact kind of piece I’m glad we’re moving on from

100% agree,  lots of people on here think that he's still the same guy that he was several years ago when he would dominate.     He disappeared for several stretches over the last two seasons either by injury or very average level of play.  

When he's on the field Jeffcoat is still legitimately one of the best defensive players in the league... problem is he can't stay healthy for a whole year and needs to be spelled off a bunch to maintain that effectiveness. Can't really over pay for that type of usage. This is where Kyle walters and Co. Need to earn their keep and bring in younger cheaper and quality players.

32 minutes ago, Mike said:

Getting to the Grey Cup has nothing to do with how we played in the Grey Cup. We were not lucky to get there at all, we earned it. We were lucky to win.

You make plays or you don’t. 

That’s not luck. 

34 minutes ago, Brandon said:

100% agree,  lots of people on here think that he's still the same guy that he was several years ago when he would dominate.     He disappeared for several stretches over the last two seasons either by injury or very average level of play.  

Jeffcoat has never been healthy his entire career. He is dominant when he is. Is it time we get a more reliable, even if less talented, guy...maybe.

19 hours ago, Rex_Banner said:

For a team that lost in the grey cup two years in a row now, in pretty pathetic fashion, they seem pretty content with everything and just bring all the old boys back. 

The only thing pathetic is your post above. 

15 hours ago, Jesse said:

And I can understand why you feel that way, but he's a difference maker that we don't have a replacement for right now.

That said, if you can find a difference maker on a rookie deal - that's a big deal (likely for next season though as DE's take a minute to percolate). 

He was one of the guys that quite frankly had to come in cheaper or be gone. I LOVE Jeffcoat but he only plays 9 games a year and is banged up for most of the rest. When he`s healthy he`s unreal but we just haven`t gotten value for money out of his contracts.

13 hours ago, Booch said:

There isn`t a Grey Cup champ or Super bowl champ that didn`t get some good fortune in order to win.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I don`t think so. I think Hamilton was lucky to hang around so long.

45 minutes ago, Brandon said:

He is still dominant, he is increasingly banged up now and it is effecting his play.

39 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

When he's on the field Jeffcoat is still legitimately one of the best defensive players in the league... problem is he can't stay healthy for a whole year and needs to be spelled off a bunch to maintain that effectiveness. Can't really over pay for that type of usage. This is where Kyle walters and Co. Need to earn their keep and bring in younger cheaper and quality players.

Hate to say it, but I agree. I have been feeling this way for a couple years now really.

15 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:
Uhhh oh, got caught underpaying appreciated assets.

Per sources, Jackson Jeffcoat will not re-sign with the Blue Bombers before the CFL's negotiation window opens on Feb. 4. A return to Winnipeg remains possible but it appears the 33-year-old wants to find out what other options are available. #Bombers | #ForTheW | #CFL | #CFLFA

Jeffcoat maxed out last year at 185k. Wj maxed out at 200k. The only ends above wj was mauldin, who got that money off an insane season where he put up the same amount of sacks as jj did from 19 through the 22 season. (4 years 3 seasons of course) more sacks than jj has had in any 2 back to back seasons ever. The same amount as his 2 best seasons. 

I love jj, I wish he could stay healthy for once and put up a monster season. But he turns 34 this year, has never played a full season, and was already in the top tier of paid des. Jj hasn’t been underpaid, and isn’t appreciating by any stretch. I mean Habba for 110k a year less isn’t going to be as much of a beast but he’s going to have similar or better production. I wouldn’t give jj more than 140-150k unless it’s very low base with high bonuses for high stats and games played. 100k base 40k for playing 16 or more, 30k for division all star, 40k for league. 

Maybe it was just me but over the last few seasons Jeffcoat wasn't a guy that I was noticing making the big plays and disrupting the opposition.   WJ even though his numbers were down he was noticed on many many more plays forcing the QB to roll out or throw early.   Jeffcoat was more of the clean up guy that may have got the sack but only because WJ had pushed him into his arms.   

48 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

You make plays or you don’t. 

That’s not luck. 

Luck is the residue of hard work. The last two gcs we seemed to be happy to be in it and didn’t seem to want it nearly enough. 

53 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

100%. If we do bring back jj, we need a de who will split reps with him, and to carefully manage his snaps. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

the problem is he is that guy, but that guy is only here for 1/3 of the season instead of 2/3. If jj had played the volume of snaps and games wj has played here he’d be a sure fire hofer. As is, he might be a guy who gets sorely disappointing by a lack of a market value. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

For most teams, getting to a championship is good enough. For great teams, dynasties, and real contenders to those two things, there is no such thing as good enough. Good enough is the death of improvement, and competition. Eventually of competitiveness. Apathy is what kills great teams. We were good enough to get to the last 2gcs but not good enough to beat two teams we should’ve handled. 
 Jordan, Brady, the un defeated dolphins, pick a great dynasty and sport. It’s the hatred of losing that drives the ship. This team loves playing together and loves playing for the mafia, loves the FIFO the fans the market etc. but they have lost that hatred of losing. The 1 week at a time mantra has become a way of forgetting about getting slapped by bad teams or losing ships instead of a way to keep from getting to high on them self. It’s excruciating for me, you and some others. For some people, not soo much. Neither is right, and no king rules forever. If we don’t win in 25, I think it’ll be the end of the mafia/fifo as we know it. 

Kongbo and his adventure in bc is a case study in this. He’s a guy who knows how to win and is pure motivation for winning. Bc thought they wanted that, until they saw what it involved. Then they folded like a cheap tent and shipped him out so they could be content in their mediocrity. I’d rather give kongbo an over pay than most of our guys. We need that attitude back. 

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Maybe it was just me but over the last few seasons Jeffcoat wasn't a guy that I was noticing making the big plays and disrupting the opposition.   WJ even though his numbers were down he was noticed on many many more plays forcing the QB to roll out or throw early.   Jeffcoat was more of the clean up guy that may have got the sack but only because WJ had pushed him into his arms.   

Part of that is the change in not having a nose, and the way we layer pressure. Jj was creating tons of pressure, wj was coming in hot frequently, but also want often in control or in a position to finish a tackle. Our not adapting the rush to not having the inside presence we used to has put our rushers into worse positions to make a play. 
 If wj played the previous seasons like he played the first half of last year it would’ve been maybe the greatest season by a de ever in the cfl, but a couple times over. 

17 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I think you have this mixed up, when Jeffcoat is out Willie spends most of his time flailing about, the majority of his sacks occur when Jeffcoat is in the lineup.  Also not to be forgotten, when the Bomber pass-rush is "handled", Hall's secondary turns to mush.

49 minutes ago, Brandon said:

JJ was very disruptive. He just didn't play a lot.

JJ was and still when healthy a great player. We are fortunate we had him at some of his best. IMO the harsh truth though as others have mentioned is he is not able to maintain his health. I wish him the best whether here or on another team, but in a salary cap situation sometimes things have to give and again IMO he probably costs too much for us. 

We will never get younger or find the next guy if we keep with all the veterans, especially when the price get's into the upper echelon, you can only afford so many of them.

13 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

We will never get younger or find the next guy if we keep with all the veterans, especially when the price get's into the upper echelon, you can only afford so many of them.

There is something to be said for continuity AND then there's a time for change....Sometimes it's a blurred thin line between the two...That's when great management comes to the fore and sound decisions have to be made...Parting ways with vets. that you know have had their day in the sun has to be a priority ...Tough to see a guy like Jeffcoat playing somewhere else but when it's time ....it's time.. AND I think it's time Walters makes that call

Regardless of who we put across from WJ this yr, if Osh continues the joke being Jackson on the roster...effectively eliminating the chance of any impact DE to get on the roster, then we will see more of the same, and games where our starters burn out, and have to take some plays off....Rotating in guys like A Bennett does nothing, and same with Thomas in the middle.

If not thru free agency...the draft, or the use of another Canadian already on the roster to assume the role of blocking back for 6 to 9 reps a game and zero threat to get the ball, let alone doing anything with it....that a viable replacement is found...then thats a fail on so many levels.

If you wanna go that route sign a big bruising "real" full back type straight outta the NCAA....Jackson at his age now, with his experience offers us absolutely nothing other than a cool story...he was horrible and out matched on defence when he got reps in garbage time, and his role on offence could be filled by literally anyone

Question: Would an offer to Chris Streveler have to be registered with the CFL/CFLPA during the negotiation window? For example, if Bombers or Lions or any other  CFL team makes an offer to Streveler between Feb 4-11 would that offer have to be shared with every other team in the same way as a regular offer to 2023 rostered free agents? Or would an offer to Streveler (since he was not on any CFL roster last season) not fall under those rules? If so, then there's nothing preventing any CFL club from making a quiet offer to him at any time, right?  https://www.cfl.ca/2024/01/27/free-agency-negotiation-window-opens-feb-4/

Edited by Doublezero

2 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Question: Would an offer to Chris Streveler have to be registered with the CFL/CFLPA during the negotiation window? For example, if Bombers or Lions or any other  CFL team makes an offer to Streveler between Feb 4-11 would that offer have to be shared with every other team in the same way as a regular offer to 2023 rostered free agents? Or would an offer to Streveler (since he was not on any CFL roster last season) not fall under those rules? If not, then there's nothing preventing any CFL club from making a quiet offer to him at any time, right?  https://www.cfl.ca/2024/01/27/free-agency-negotiation-window-opens-feb-4/

The negotiation window does not apply to Streveler. He has been a CFL free agent for a couple years now. The negotiation window is for players who are still under contract. Teams have already been negotiating with Streveler and can sign him any time.

Edited by BBlink

2 minutes ago, BBlink said:

The negotiation window does not apply to Streveler. He has been a CFL free agent for a couple years now. The negotiation window is for players who are still under contract. Teams have already been negotiating with Streveler and can sign him any time.

Yup, thanks.

22 hours ago, Goalie said:

Not over reacting at all.

just don’t see the vision here. Bringing back the gang never works. Some of our guys are gonna age out by 25 also. 

Don't the Bombers have one of the longest unsigned players list in the league... where are people getting this "bringing back the same team" idea from?...

Bombers have 10 picks in the upcoming draft.... and unless they package two of them to move up to grab someone they love... I expect to see 10 new Canadians in camp (yeah, there'll probably be at least one futures pick in there) fighting to knock off the incumbents or other Canadian vets