Call it what you want … you need to move on from Collaros

Mike

41 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

None. Among imps it’s very limited too. 
Not including QBs, lawler. Though I haven’t seen the details on wjs newest deal. Lewis makes more. Not many guys in general other than QBs make more money than Willy. 

Where he ranks as highest paid non-QB would depend on whether or not other players reached some or all their bonuses.   He's tied for 8th (with 4 other players) for a base salary but could be as low as 13th (3 way tie) if every player maxed out their bonuses.

Guys making more or the same as Willie in 2023 (per 3DN):

Defensive Line: Orimolade (240k), Mauldin (200-209k), Betts (180-206), Ceresna (205-215), Lanier 250k

Receiver:  Lewis (320k), Lawler (250-258k), Dunbar (200-206k), Gittens (200k), White (187-220k)

Offensive Line: Desjarlais (250.5-256.5k), Korte (220-229k), Beard (200-207.5k), Figueroa (199.8-205.8k), Bladek (190-200k)

29 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Where he ranks as highest paid non-QB would depend on whether or not other players reached some or all their bonuses.   He's tied for 8th (with 4 other players) for a base salary but could be as low as 13th (3 way tie) if every player maxed out their bonuses.

Guys making more or the same as Willie in 2023 (per 3DN):

Defensive Line: Orimolade (240k), Mauldin (200-209k), Betts (180-206), Ceresna (205-215), Lanier 250k

Receiver:  Lewis (320k), Lawler (250-258k), Dunbar (200-206k), Gittens (200k), White (187-220k)

Offensive Line: Desjarlais (250.5-256.5k), Korte (220-229k), Beard (200-207.5k), Figueroa (199.8-205.8k), Bladek (190-200k)

I think I was looking at his pre renegotiated rate of 260k. 8/13 not including QBs is still pretty high. More imps than ni on that list too. 

16 hours ago, Nolby said:

I was thinking of just a random hypothetical. What if the Bombers decided to dump Zach and sign Rourke? Only because I'm a Pat's fan ad they just claimed Nathan from waivers.

I wouldn’t be mad at it. Though I think it’d cost us too much talent wise to pay rourke what he’d expect. Then the nfl watch would be on every off season too. 
 A month out from the gc (honestly feels like more) and I’m still firmly in the time to move on from collaros boat. Though I think the only viable option would be brown + strevy. 

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I wouldn’t be mad at it. Though I think it’d cost us too much talent wise to pay rourke what he’d expect. Then the nfl watch would be on every off season too. 
 A month out from the gc (honestly feels like more) and I’m still firmly in the time to move on from collaros boat. Though I think the only viable option would be brown + strevy. 

Well, you're not the HC or GM so clearly the Bombers won't be moving on from Zach. It's a qb wilderness out there. Do you see who's available & who we could sign to replace Zach if we traded or released him? Other than Dru Brown (who has only a little body of work as a starter) there's guys like Marcus Fine, Dane Evans, Matthew Schilz & Jake Dolegala. Throw in MBT & maybe Streveler (who isn't a starting qb) & I'll take Zach every day of the week. 

21 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I would like to see Rourke here.

Easily would be one of the top three QBs in the CFL. 

Remember Casey Printers and Jonathan Jennings -- those guys were fantastic in their first years in BC too -- but they crashed and burned afterwards.

Edited by johnzo

Rourke is a good passer though, people just need to admit it, bottom line, he's a good QB who would be instantly top 3 QB in the CFL, might argue TOP 2, if he signed back with whoever, Would I dump Zach to sign him? No because dumping Zach might mean certain other guys don't want to come back. i feel part of the pull here is these guys have been up and down the country the past 4 years now TOGETHER. 

That's part of it right, so that's a tough decision, its an easier decision in my opinion to move on from Zach but give the reigns to DRU because DRU has been up and down the country with the same group of guys also. Continuity is important, think you have to be careful not to ruffle to many feathers. It's all just what if's though because we all know damn well, they ain't dumping ZACH for Rourke or for Brown. Or anyone else right now

It appears fairly certain (baring injury) that Collaros will be playing in Winnipeg until his contract is up.  Given this team's history at the QB position, I don't see how anyone can be firmly on side with letting him go.

I mean, you've probably got an eye on the future, and that's fine.  But it's pretty safe to say that the Bombers are focused on winning a GC at home, in 2025. ZC gives them the best chance to do that.

He's had some bad games, some of which were unfortunately Grey Cups.  But that's going to happen no matter who you have behind centre.  I think we have the talent on the OL - to get back to kind of protection he was getting when he first came to Winnipeg.  The brain thrust needs to start the players who can make that happen.  

If you're in the position of several other teams around the league, then you absolutely go with a guy like Brown.  In Winnipeg, you play the safe card and go with the experienced vet.

Just my 'Boltus scarred' 0.02

19 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It appears fairly certain (baring injury) that Collaros will be playing in Winnipeg until his contract is up.  Given this team's history at the QB position, I don't see how anyone can be firmly on side with letting him go.

I mean, you've probably got an eye on the future, and that's fine.  But it's pretty safe to say that the Bombers are focused on winning a GC at home, in 2025. ZC gives them the best chance to do that.

He's had some bad games, some of which were unfortunately Grey Cups.  But that's going to happen no matter who you have behind centre.  I think we have the talent on the OL - to get back to kind of protection he was getting when he first came to Winnipeg.  The brain thrust needs to start the players who can make that happen.  

If you're in the position of several other teams around the league, then you absolutely go with a guy like Brown.  In Winnipeg, you play the safe card and go with the experienced vet.

Just my 'Boltus scarred' 0.02

does 2025 ZC give us that best chance?  Not saying that anything you wrote is wrong.... but.....

Just my 1992 Danny Mac .02......

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, you're not the HC or GM so clearly the Bombers won't be moving on from Zach. It's a qb wilderness out there. Do you see who's available & who we could sign to replace Zach if we traded or released him? Other than Dru Brown (who has only a little body of work as a starter) there's guys like Marcus Fine, Dane Evans, Matthew Schilz & Jake Dolegala. Throw in MBT & maybe Streveler (who isn't a starting qb) & I'll take Zach every day of the week. 

If you aren’t improving you’re getting worse. And collaros in the play offs is bad. 

32 minutes ago, Noeller said:

does 2025 ZC give us that best chance?  Not saying that anything you wrote is wrong.... but.....

Just my 1992 Danny Mac .02......

He’d be what 37 by then? If we stick to Zach and the ol we have I can’t see us contending in 25. 

This yr will be a semi transition phase so that 2025 is also a semi transition phase where some hefty sms weight is shed to allow us to replenish a few spots via free agency that are immediate upgrades to augment the core.

Is ZC part of that in 2025...i sure team thinks/hopes so right now..but 2025 grey cup is 40..41 games away...and a lot can happen between now and then..and interesting things/options can fall in your lap too..making some decisions easier.

My only concern and will prob get a lot of backlash is MOS himself and his history and track record now of not giving team beat chance to win game in game out with whom he chooses to keep. ..and whom gets to play

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Noeller:

He’d be what 37 by then? If we stick to Zach and the ol we have I can’t see us contending in 25. 

I find your remarks kinda funny. Of everybody here, all we have ever seen & heard from you for years is Trust The Trinity. Trust The Trinity. Looks like you suddenly quit worshipping & kissing their feet. Seems your belief in the three isn't what you claim it is, Oh. ye of little faith.

The 2025 Grey Cup is two seasons away & quite frankly, I don't care about that damned game right now. I care about 2024 just like I cared about any other season we were going into. I worry about the present & not the future down the road. If we try to build to win a Grey Cup at home in 2025 then it'll be an abysmal failure. The team is right to care about winning this coming season & not in 2025. Next season includes Zach Collaros. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

13 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah but that was Mike Kelly. I for one called him an idiot for it.

Me too. He quickly became my favorite choice for HC/GM to WTF was that in one boneheaded transaction. After watching the likes of studs like Alex Brink/Justin Goltz/Drew Willy I am not willing to throw away the league's best QB because he may or may not start declining if he doesn't age right. Not when hacks like Trevor Harris at 40 are still finding employment because QB ranks are thin around the league.

13 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Right. Point is, it's not a given that moving from ZC is the right move.

Not by any stretch of the imagination actually, Moving on from ZC carries way more risk than keeping him. WAAAAAY more.

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I find your remarks kinda funny. Of everybody here, all we have ever seen & heard from you for years is Trust The Trinity. Trust The Trinity. Looks like you suddenly quit worshipping & kissing their feet. Seems your belief in the three isn't what you claim it is, Oh. ye of little faith.

The 2025 Grey Cup is two seasons away & quite frankly, I don't care about that damned game right now. I care about 2024 just like I cared about any other season we were going into. I worry about the present & not the future down the road. If we try to build to win a Grey Cup at home in 2025 then it'll be an abysmal failure. The team is right to care about winning this coming season & not in 2025. Next season includes Zach Collaros. 

It's the CFL, we really can't look past this year at all. Way too many things can happen. In 2019 we started the season with Matt Nichols and ended the season with Zac Collaros as our starter. I doubt anyone saw that coming. We ride with our best bet to win now and IF we need to replace ZC down the line then Walters will have to do his magic once again.

14 hours ago, wbbfan said:

If you aren’t improving you’re getting worse. And collaros in the play offs is bad. 

If you aren't improving you are not automatically getting worse. That is simply not true, Also, who says Brown is an improvement? Why is everyone ruling out the possibility that Zac cuts down on turnovers, (really the only flaw in his game last year) and has a great season?

Edited by GCn20

24 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

If you aren't improving you are not automatically getting worse. That is simply not true, Also, who says Brown is an improvement? Why is everyone ruling out the possibility that Zac cuts down on turnovers, (really the only flaw in his game last year) and has a great season?

That's the thing. By basically all measurements, Collaros did have a great year. He'd start on 8 teams tomorrow...maybe 7 if BC is stupid. His down fall, while inevitable is being highly over exaggerated on this forum.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

His down fall, while inevitable is being highly over exaggerated on this forum.

More like people are looking at this age and some underwhelming post season coupled with the fact that Dru Brown has developed so well and performed comparably to Collaros with the same team. It's a risk, but if you save money at the qb position and can get some assets for collaros and not see a big drop does it make you team better long term? 

26 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

More like people are looking at this age and some underwhelming post season coupled with the fact that Dru Brown has developed so well and performed comparably to Collaros with the same team. It's a risk, but if you save money at the qb position and can get some assets for collaros and not see a big drop does it make you team better long term? 

At any other position, you would probably take the risk, but not at QB.

Actually, probably not at left tackle either.