Friday Night Football - Bombers at Leos: GDT

Noeller

1 minute ago, Rod Black said:

Still don’t know what a 50block is.

Nutshell...easy to decipher...quickly.engage half the inside guy and bump off to assist the guard..or tackle.depening who is responsible for it...in an easiest way to.expalin...if u wanna believe me that is...and easy to read who effed things up if u know what to look for

42 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Roster issues to me are minor. Yes having a better DL rotation would improve some things, but how much? Debatable. I don't see the D as the main reason for any loss really. Given the stat power, salary and depth on offense there's a lot less forgiveness when they don't perform. 

Honestly I think it was a rather poor effort from the scouts this last offseason. I wanted to see some new faces on the DL and linebacker especially but watching the preseason games no one stood out. I recall discussing that post game with friends and saying the only one who came close to standing out was Haba, and he was the only guy they kept. 

We got some old dudes and not a lot of depth in some places. To me that's on the recruitment as much as the coaches.

Yeah I don’t agree. Dl being tired late in games has a huge effect on play call max execution. Look at the bc game in 21 where stove returned, and compare the previous games especially big runs. One guy makes a massive difference. A guy like Thomas or Schmekel or Bennett losing 20+ snaps for a higher quality guy and letting every one stay fresh is gigantic. 
 Every one said we couldn’t recruit WRs, which was also wrong. We brought in a bunch of blue chip guys at the needed positions and cut the guys with out getting much of a shot. Even if they showed well. 
 Di’s are extremely important and valuable. Wasting them and refusing to use the na is a huge edge handed to the other team every week. 
 Look at the impact grant has coming back. And yet we wasted what 10 weeks on 2 guys who aren’t pro quality kr and pissed away tons of field position. 

28 minutes ago, Booch said:

Nutshell...easy to decipher...quickly.engage half the inside guy and bump off to assist the guard..or tackle.depening who is responsible for it...in an easiest way to.expalin...if u wanna believe me that is...and easy to read who effed things up if u know what to look for

When you break down blocking schemes even zone they seem complex when you look at the whole line, but when you look at your specific assignment and rules it’s very simple and has to be so guys can quickly decide and act and make the same calls. 
Marty Costello has two ol coaching seminars on the bombers site where he goes into painstaking detail on our system, calls, assignments, what they look for and what it takes to succeed. Any one doubting Booch should watch the first 20 minutes of the first one. 

And no, before people say it, we aren’t decoying with those videos. Ols don’t get by on disguised reads and assignments. As long as you aren’t tipping pass or run pre snap that’s all you need. Every team knows our run plays blocking schemes and calls. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah I don’t agree. Dl being tired late in games has a huge effect on play call max execution. Look at the bc game in 21 where stove returned, and compare the previous games especially big runs. One guy makes a massive difference. A guy like Thomas or Schmekel or Bennett losing 20+ snaps for a higher quality guy and letting every one stay fresh is gigantic. 
 Every one said we couldn’t recruit WRs, which was also wrong. We brought in a bunch of blue chip guys at the needed positions and cut the guys with out getting much of a shot. Even if they showed well. 
 Di’s are extremely important and valuable. Wasting them and refusing to use the na is a huge edge handed to the other team every week. 
 Look at the impact grant has coming back. And yet we wasted what 10 weeks on 2 guys who aren’t pro quality kr and pissed away tons of field position. 

So you don't agree that it's a case of a bad offseason? I think it is.  Yes we could use a couple bodies differently but I don't see it making a huge difference.  The times this team struggles is when the offense doesn't sustain drives. Collaros is paid as the best qb in league, we have what is supposed to be an Allstars OL with 2 extra bodies on the roster who are there so we don't lose them and we got receivers out the ass. Those guys shouldn't need the D to carry them.

6 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Collaros a victim of his own success played at such a high level the past two years that a slight drop in play as seen as a lot worse than it actually is.

This is true... And his stats this year are as good or better than last year, but more turnovers making everything seem a lot worse than it is...

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The tackles are showing issues, however ol alignment (gap size) also changes with the interior ol ability to pass pro. Our interior has been the source of a lot of pass pro issues too. 
 I was watching yoshi mostly as he was giving up the pressures. Here’s what I saw. 
 Firstly, bc did a great job of lining up their ends. Both our tackles are tall and long, but bc has been very good in the first and most recent game of aligning and timing snaps so the ends get a good start with out getting a hand on them. They also do a great job in general of winning hand fights. It’s a critically under rated part of pass rushing and pass pro. 
 So at the jump yoshi is in a tough spot needing to cover a lot of ground to stay in front of his man. This also leaves an interior lane open for a stunt twist or blitz if he kick slides aggressively. But, he seems to be struggling with that lateral movement. He’s barely able to cover ground or recover angle vs fast ends. This could be a lot of things, age, size, injury or a combination of that and more. Also, bc runs a heavy rotation of undersized athletic pass rushers that are hard to keep up with for any one. 
Once he’s engaged with speed by a de out of position he stays none committal to recovering. He does try to match hip angle or drive his man up field he instead ends up looping and following his man to the qb. Props to him for not taking bad penalties in those positions, though some times a holding call is better than a sack. Most guys in his position panic and mug by default and generate a ton of flags. 
 In run pro he’s usually well down field even earlier this year he was flying into the flats and down field on the pin and pull screen at times. Vs bc he seemed to be a turret trying to pancake but not even trailing pile engaging position. 

This time of year our ol always seems to be playing banged up which is no surprise given their age. Hopefully we see the west wrapped up soon and Richmond getting a lot of play while yoshi especially but also Bryant rest. 

I don’t think size in an issue per se. It’s the combination of his being the size of young couture and having Matt Sheridan mobility. I think he’s valuable as a 6th ol. But our former star ol are no longer able to carry guys and need a guy or guys who can carry them a bit. 
 If we had couture and desjarlais I think we’d a given up half as many sacks and won two more games with ease. 

pff has been really under whelming and lack lustre. It’s also easy to over grade a centre especially when teams aren’t playing nose. It’s also note worth imo that when our ol and team plays well he grades high as does the whole ol but he never puts up a good performance when the other ol don’t. 

Yeah eli is a beast in the run game. His under performance in pass pro at guard was a concern but pass pro at c is a lot different. I don’t think he’s played much guard. Some guys struggle randomly at guard. 

Can't blame Yoshi for the sack where Zach spun back into Betts, he steered him 8 feet downfield of the target, at that point Zach is supposed to have evacuated the pocket or gotten rid of the ball.   Yoshi did his job.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

So you don't agree that it's a case of a bad offseason? I think it is.  Yes we could use a couple bodies differently but I don't see it making a huge difference.  The times this team struggles is when the offense doesn't sustain drives. Collaros is paid as the best qb in league, we have what is supposed to be an Allstars OL with 2 extra bodies on the roster who are there so we don't lose them and we got receivers out the ass. Those guys shouldn't need the D to carry them.

Correct, though it was certainly sub optimal. Clearly we needed to jump off board from some of these vets already and didn’t. 
 But yes, I fully believe in the young talent we’ve brought in. 
 Frankly as long as guys like jj,wj,yoshi,Bryant,Neufeld,biggie, rose etc are on the roster it wouldn’t matter if we had the best nfler available at those positions, mos wouldn’t start or roster then over his guys. 
 I think we have the pieces, that said, we should’ve kept couture if possible and paid the ransom for desjarlais in retrospect. 

40 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Collaros a victim of his own success played at such a high level the past two years that a slight drop in play as seen as a lot worse than it actually is.

That combined with 2-3x more sacks than those previous years. He’s still the best qb in the league, but he’s not in a tier all by him self any more. 

32 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Can't blame Yoshi for the sack where Zach spun back into Betts, he steered him 8 feet downfield of the target, at that point Zach is supposed to have evacuated the pocket or gotten rid of the ball.   Yoshi did his job.

Yoshi steered him into the qb, the move is to ride the guy down field, never closer to the qb. 
 Zach didn’t have a pocket to set up into and was pressured from the other side. Idk what you think collaros should’ve done in that situation. Yoshi barely got a hand on his man before he was around him then just hugged his pocket into Zach. 

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

When you break down blocking schemes even zone they seem complex when you look at the whole line, but when you look at your specific assignment and rules it’s very simple and has to be so guys can quickly decide and act and make the same calls. 
Marty Costello has two ol coaching seminars on the bombers site where he goes into painstaking detail on our system, calls, assignments, what they look for and what it takes to succeed. Any one doubting Booch should watch the first 20 minutes of the first one.

Is this the video you're talking about?  couldn't find any such videos on bluebombers.com.

this is fascinating stuff -- I never noticed that the Bombers only ran counter plays to the left side and never to the right.

and the part at 2:25 is pretty funny.

19 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Frankly as long as guys like jj,wj,yoshi,Bryant,Neufeld,biggie, rose etc are on the roster it wouldn’t matter if we had the best nfler available at those positions, mos wouldn’t start or roster then over his guys. 

And I can't really agree with that. There is plenty of evidence to suggest this staff can identify and give chances to talent. Stove,  all the dbs, Wilson, Sayles, etc etc. I think the guys they had in camp simply weren't good enough. Yes they have some favorites, but they didn't even keep guys on the pr... 

For fun, what’s everyone’s knowledge level of involvement playing or being around the football? 
For myself I’m basically just a fan. I never had the frame to play the game past minor bantam (15). 
Dad played/coached HS and Junior ball.
I’ve been going to Bomber games him since I was 3, taught me a lot from a very young age about how to watch football, especially the defensive backfield. 
My expert area would be more so when it comes to the history of the game. I’m a massive history nerd on all levels, and I’d put my memory vault up against anyone in the world (besides maybe Stats Junkie) 

Just a lifelong fan. I've been watching CFL football my whole life, all my family are fans, going back to my little Scottish granny screaming at the Bombers through the 8" tube TV in the corner of her kitchen. I didn't care much about it, until as a kid, probably 8 or 9 I got to meet Buzz one on one at a company Christmas party co-sponsored by the Bombers (my Mom worked closely with Kelly, the guy that wore the Buzz suit for many years, so she was able to arrange a visit) and that of all things was enough to spark interest at a young age.

I joined the Rods in grade 8 and played in one lone game before breaking my arm and missing the entire season. I would have gone back in grade 9 but discovered a sport more suited to my tall slim frame (fencing), and that was the end of football for me.

I'm far from an expert in any aspect of the game. If only my thousand Super Bowl victories in Madden translated to real world practical football experience, I'd be a hall of fame coach by now!

I've read virtually every post ever made in the MBB football forum since MBB's inception, and a whole lot of OB before that... I'M ALWAYS HERE... this is where 95% of my football discussion takes place as my friends and coworkers today are casual fans at best (need better friends and coworkers I know)

7 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly I think it was a rather poor effort from the scouts this last offseason. I wanted to see some new faces on the DL and linebacker especially but watching the preseason games no one stood out. I recall discussing that post game with friends and saying the only one who came close to standing out was Haba, and he was the only guy they kept. 

Maybe I'm missing someone obvious, but who would be our rookie of the year candidate this year? Haha -- who only made it into a few games? ADS -- who played and then was PRed and then cut? Damian Jackson? That one would sure be something!

No Alfords or Schoens this year to say the least. 

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Correct, though it was certainly sub optimal. Clearly we needed to jump off board from some of these vets already and didn’t. 
 I think we have the pieces, that said, we should’ve kept couture if possible and paid the ransom for desjarlais in retrospect. 

That combined with 2-3x more sacks than those previous years. He’s still the best qb in the league, but he’s not in a tier all by him self any more. 

Yoshi steered him into the qb, the move is to ride the guy down field, never closer to the qb. 
 Zach didn’t have a pocket to set up into and was pressured from the other side. Idk what you think collaros should’ve done in that situation. Yoshi barely got a hand on his man before he was around him then just hugged his pocket into Zach. 

Maybe Drew Richmond will get on the active roster if we clinch 1st. Would be nice to get a look at him considering our import tackles aren't getting any younger.

9 hours ago, True Dru said:

Maybe I'm missing someone obvious, but who would be our rookie of the year candidate this year? Haha -- who only made it into a few games? ADS -- who played and then was PRed and then cut? Damian Jackson? That one would sure be something!

No Alfords or Schoens this year to say the least. 

Very few options. Can’t see them nominating a cut player, so no to ADS. Haba has some stats, but only 7 games played and is now on PR after the Hamilton loss, so questionable. Sheahan the punter is a likely “safe” choice. Jackson is the wild card, and would probably make some heads explode if he got it. Would the voters reward a lack of stats but consider his multiple plug-in roles and the effectiveness of the heavy package in our dominant run offence and solid Prukop short yardage schemes, and let the system carry him to a vote?