Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

I don't see how Brady's NFL opportunities are terrific. He's too small to be taken seriously as a blocker. Unlike the CFL where they tend to have longer career in the NFL the average runningback's career ends at age 28.5, Brady will be 27 next NFL season. They would look at him as a guy to develop into a specific role and deem that he's too old for that to make sense.  However, non of this means he won't be able to take a shot if he is absolutely motivated to do so. He'd have to go with zero guaranteed money, poor prospects of being given a chance, and the possibility of getting injured and missing the first CFL season where he's likely to be well paid. But you can't blame him for having the desire to take a shot down there if he chooses that for himself. We would likely go with a competition of american rookies at league minimum if that were the case. I think we could find someone who would be effective behind our offensive line. 

If he goes to chase his dream next yr and I find that a stretch...I would sign CGY pending FA Logan...behind our line and with the receiver blocking dude would rip it up...I'd like to see us sign him anyway in place of Mcrae....as he could be the instant return guy if Grant went down

Just now, Jesse said:

I would hate for Brady to lose a season sitting on a PR. He’s a guy who could re-write record books. But not if he gives away his prime.

Oh well. It’s his life. 

I would think he would look at and need the perfect situation to challenge as a rostered situational back, as well as upfront guaranteed "significant" money or he says no....and I don't see either happening, and not too worried....If he takes a feeler and misses the first half the season he will be nice and fresh to run through people on way to cup appearance 5 in a row

3 hours ago, Wideleft said:

From Jeff Hamilton in today's Free Press:

"I had an interesting exchange with Oliveira this week about his future. He’s on an expiring contract and while he loves his time in Winnipeg and can’t imagine playing anywhere else in the CFL, his plan is to pursue the NFL next season. While that would be an awesome opportunity for Oliveira, what a loss that would be for Winnipeg, seeing how much he does for his home province both on and off the field."

I wondered if he would consider that, if they win on Sun. that will be his 3rd G.C. ring, and depending on his ambition he might think he's ready to move on to a bigger challenge.  Too bad, hope he doesn't waste too many years chasing the dream.  As for his replacement, there are a couple of good Natl. RB's like Antwi in the league that could fill in and maybe flourish if given a great opportunity on a team that loves to run the ball.

Edited by Fatty Liver

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I would hate for Brady to lose a season sitting on a PR. He’s a guy who could re-write record books. But not if he gives away his prime.

Oh well. It’s his life. 

Seems like guys come back different from the NFL a lot too. Not in a good way. The style and tempo of the games is just very different.

They also have no regard for RBs so an injury is almost inevitable. 

4 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Brady is a great CFL RB, but in the NFL he is a dime a dozen, every team has a Brady on their practice roster.

It’s a travesty that NFL practice rosters and what an athlete is paid to be on one greatly entices one to be a career practice player in the NFL never seeing the playing field. I get it, gotta feed the family and be well compensated for your talent but jeebus.

39 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I don't see how Brady's NFL opportunities are terrific. He's too small to be taken seriously as a blocker. Unlike the CFL where they tend to have longer career in the NFL the average runningback's career ends at age 28.5, Brady will be 27 next NFL season. They would look at him as a guy to develop into a specific role and deem that he's too old for that to make sense.  However, non of this means he won't be able to take a shot if he is absolutely motivated to do so. He'd have to go with zero guaranteed money, poor prospects of being given a chance, and the possibility of getting injured and missing the first CFL season where he's likely to be well paid. But you can't blame him for having the desire to take a shot down there if he chooses that for himself. We would likely go with a competition of american rookies at league minimum if that were the case. I think we could find someone who would be effective behind our offensive line. 

Mookie! Great seeing you here. I pop in when I can. Work travel keeps me out of Canada more than I would like. Miss the "Our Bombers" days. I always wonder where Nasty Nate ended up.

I even pop over to Total CFL every so often. That was where I first ran across you. Long time ago!😀

6 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

It’s a travesty that NFL practice rosters and what an athlete is paid to be on one greatly entices one to be a career practice player in the NFL never seeing the playing field. I get it, gotta feed the family and be well compensated for your talent but jeebus.

Imagine how many players spend their careers chasing the NFL dream and end up on PR's accumulating a handful of stats. to speak of at the end of their careers.  "Played pro football but wasn't quite good enough to be a backup", isn't quite resume worthy.

3 hours ago, Nolby said:

For pondering sake, if we do infact lose Buck to coaching, who do we want or would look at for a new OC? Milanovich if he doesn't get a HC role?.

The obvious choice would be Paul LaPolice. Great offensive mind, history with and ties to the city, Grey Cup winning pedigree, works well with O’Shea, and he……..wait a minute……..sorry,, thought I heard screams and a table being overturned somewhere. Got distracted. Now where was I? Oh yeah, LaPo. He…….huh. swear I heard it again. Weird. 

You guys know that MBT has been available and actively shopping himself on both sides of the border since July, right?

Nobody picked him up.  Not Ottawa, not Hamilton, both down to raw rookies who were playing NCAA in 2022.  Not Sask, not Calgary.

I'm not sure much will change in the off-season.  Nobody wants to sign him to much more than the kind of deal Dane Evans got in BC, 100k ish base and bonuses for starting, winning.

18 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

With MBT back and all the talk being that some team will sign Steveler to start I am starting to think that Dru Brown may very well opt to stay in Winnipeg. Why leave a good situation when no other team is offering you an opportunity to compete for a starting job?

McLeod bethel Thompson? Who is signing him? 

EDIT: I read this thread before reading the thread about him coming back 

Edited by bearpants

11 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

If Buck leaves (which I doubt this year) I’m pretty sure his replacement would be Kevin Bourgoin or Jason Hogan. 
It’s kind of the way they do things anyway, but I don’t think they could get a name OC in under the cap. 

Yeah when was the last time we filled a main coaching position from out side the team? Plop, who was here twice prior or hall? 
 Bourgoin has been here soo long. I’d bet any thing he becomes the co. At that point though I think we’d go out side the team to find a new qb coach and maybe some one to ast or qc the offence for Bourgoin. 

Will buck leave, who knows honestly. It’s all about if buck wants the money and the ability to move up. Buck was here 4 years then gone one and been here 9 years since. I can’t see him leaving for any thing less than a great opportunity. I don’t see that being what sask has to offer. 

16 hours ago, Jesse said:

When Khari first start coaching, I wanted him with us, but he’s never done anything that makes we wish that anymore.

Buck has been everything that I wanted from Khari. I hope he hangs around for a bit.

I’d like khari as a qb coach, oc qc, oc ast or a combination there of. He could easily still develop into a very good oc but I wouldn’t want to take that risk.