Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

6 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Seriously?

I’m guessing you’ve never had to pay for childcare or required additional supports?

Regardless, babies eventually transform into children, and then we are talking serious $ output.

The big money is spent by the grandmother who has no budgetary restrictions whatsoever.

7 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Bingo, bango, bongo.

As most parents would agree here, we couldn't imagine our lives without our children, they're our universes, our being but they are fricken expensive

I saw on a vehicle recently that instead of saying baby on board, financial burdens on board. I found that funny but true.

Having kids affected my retirement income. I couldn't put the money away I would have liked. I certainly could use that money I could have saved being childless today. However, that's a sacrifice I was willing to make & happy that I did. Having children was both a wonderful & humbling experience. Being a father made me grow up knowing I was responsible for two lives & to put a roof over their head, feed, clothe & educate. Yes, I wouldn't change a thing. I think a lot of couples who didn't want kids in their 20's, 30's & 40's end up regretting that decision in their 60's, 70's & 80's. Especially when their partner dies & they're all alone in the world in a Nursing Home. I have a friend who used to say that kids make great pets & that he'd never have kids which he didn't. That was back in the 1990's. I talked to him a few years ago about that & it's one of his biggest regrets. He's now divorced as well. 

7 hours ago, JCon said:

I spend thousands just on their activities each year. 

Housing, food, travel, etc. 

I did as well. Playing sports. That was the thing. My 2 kids didn't play hockey as we couldn't afford it at the time but they did play baseball in the spring, football in the fall & basketball in the winter. I also spent big bucks taking my youngest to qb camps in the US. Those were very expensive so i got a job delivering pizza at Panago on weekends in Calgary to afford these camps. We went to Oakland, LA, Seattle, Portland & Boise over the years. Those camps cost a lot of money but happy to deiver all that pizza in order to do it. That was $$ I could have used on myself. 

On 2023-10-23 at 12:20 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

That’s an awful lot of noise to avoid admitting you were proven wrong by your own words…..again. 

As for “whole picture”? First place - again. Host West Final - again. Number one in points allowed - again. Rushing champ - again. Number two in points against. All the issues and flaws that some swore would lead us to our downfall imminently at the start of the season have not affected us, looking at the whole picture. 

Why do you tie your nuts in a knot over Booch & Mike criticizing the way Osh manages his roster? It just goes on & on & on with you. Like give it a ******* rest already.  Do you actually think that somehow you're better than them because you don't question anything the Coach does? I dislike fans like you who point fingers at others because they dare to criticize. It's their take on the Bombers. It doesn't mean Booch, Mike, me or anyone else is a worse fan for questioning roster moves. We're all fans here who love the team. We all have our opinions & from what I've read those guys know a helluva lot more about the Bombers & football than you do. Quit being a snob. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why do you tie your nuts in a knot over Booch & Mike criticizing the way Osh manages his roster? It just goes on & on & on with you. Like give it a ******* rest already.  Do you actually think that somehow you're better than them because you don't question anything the Coach does? I dislike fans like you who point fingers at others because they dare to criticize. It's their take on the Bombers. It doesn't mean Booch, Mike, me or anyone else is a worse fan for questioning roster moves. We're all fans here who love the team. We all have our opinions & from what I've read those guys know a helluva lot more about the Bombers & football than you do. Quit being a snob. 

Speaking of nuts in a knot…….lots to unpack in that post of yours, and I don’t really wish to derail this thread responding to a personal beef you said you have with me or posters like me, so if you want a full answer check your PM. 

6 hours ago, JCon said:

Having children is so cheap, that you completely change your spending and lifestyle. Then call others weirdos for pointing out that children are expensive. 

I'm not sure what Neufeld makes as a salary,  assuming it's near $150 000.    Do you think that he has to keep working as a CFL player on a large six figure salary in order to pay for the costs of having a new born child?     Because my original point was no he does not because having a new born doesn't cost all that much money.  

So yes you are a weirdo if you think that someone HAS to make $150 000 in order to pay for a newborn child.

Also completely changing my life style?  I chose to stop going out drinking and partying because I wanted to be a parent and spend time with my wife and kids.  It wasn't because I could not afford it?  What a really weird comment to make?  It's called growing up and not being selfish?  

8 hours ago, bluto said:

2025 is the big tamale, right?

At what point do you switch which parts to get you there? 2 off-seasons to go. 

I think that even the least skeptical of the BB roster management would have to figure in at least some turnover/evolution/rebuilding/restocking to get you the home field GC of your dreams. And on the other hand, the more roster skeptical among you may see big changes to see it through.

I look at ANY CFL roster over the past few years and there is 20% turnover every year or two. Just the nature of the game. Injuries, short career span, SMS and one year contracts almost assure it. Will our roster turnover quite a bit by 2025 GC..more than likely. Probably not as much as most teams though.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Speaking of nuts in a knot…….lots to unpack in that post of yours, and I don’t really wish to derail this thread responding to a personal beef you said you have with me or posters like me, so if you want a full answer check your PM. 

Lots to unpack? No, I don't need a PM. It's pretty simple to me. You get wound up & I could give you a one word response & get a 3,000 word essay in return. That's the problem. You think Booch & others are bad fans & you're better. You always take things to the Nth degree & don't know when to stop. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Lots to unpack? No, I don't need a PM. It's pretty simple to me. You get wound up & I could give you a one word response & get a 3,000 word essay in return. That's the problem. You think Booch & others are bad fans & you're better. You always take things to the Nth degree & don't know when to stop. 

I would like to second your opinion that there is no right way or wrong way to be a fan. I have been on these forums a long time and at various times been every type of fan there is. From Pollyanna to harshest critic of this team. During the Kelly era I don't think there was a more outspoken critic of his work than I was and I was told I was a bad fan by many other posters. Completely untrue. I don't think any fan that is passionate, takes the time to spend hundreds of hours on these forums posting their fandom beliefs is a bad fan and sometimes we all need to remember that. Even TBurg is not a bad fan....a pain in the butt for sure...lol...but I have absolutely no doubt that he is a huge Bomber supporter (even tho I will call him a Lions fan every chance I get). 

Bottom line, there is no player or coach that is so perfect that flaws cannot be found and so long as there are flaws there will be fans who point them out. Not because they are bad fans, but because much like the Banjo Bowl...when perfection manifests itself in this game it is a marvelous fan experience that most of us feel our team is capable of doing more often. Whether that is realistic or not is another matter...but from what I have seen this year it's just a matter of super high fan expectations manifesting and that is not a bad thing.

Edited by GCn20

8 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I look at ANY CFL roster over the past few years and there is 20% turnover every year or two. Just the nature of the game. Injuries, short career span, SMS and one year contracts almost assure it. Will our roster turnover quite a bit by 2025 GC..more than likely. Probably not as much as most teams though.

Very true.

Also true that there's a difference between turnover, key starter turnover, all-star turnover and QB turnover.

12 minutes ago, bluto said:

Very true.

Also true that there's a difference between turnover, key starter turnover, all-star turnover and QB turnover.

For sure. The best teams are the ones that can re-sign their really good young guys, make good evaluations on veterans as they age, keep their core intact as much as possible, have rock solid NAT starters, OL, and DL and get good coaching along the way and have good QBing. It's a lot tougher to stay on top than to get to the top. 

9 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

For sure. The best teams are the ones that can re-sign their really good young guys, make good evaluations on veterans as they age, keep their core intact as much as possible, have rock solid NAT starters, OL, and DL and get good coaching along the way and have good QBing. It's a lot tougher to stay on top than to get to the top. 

Truth.

That's why back to backs are such an anomaly in our league.

The secret to success in this league is continuity.....you won't find much if you are constantly in the mode of a wholesale turnover of players....However it is very wise to have talent in the hopper and you won't know that unless you give them a chance to play....Now that brings up a problem because of various factors...allegiance to vets and roster size and restrictions to name a couple...Every coach and team has to deal with it ,and the most successful of the bunch are the one's that know how to walk the line between popularity and necessity...In the end it's all measured in wins and losses and I know where we stand in that department

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Really happy that Brady got the double nod. He’s a shoe in for moc mop will be interesting. I think Willy will get serious consideration for dpoty as well. 

My 2 cents

Kelly will win MOP

It will be tough between Brady and Betts for MOC...but whichever comes through the West will win the league award

I don't think Willy will get through the West