Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 minute ago, Booch said:

I have some army pants I wear on occasion when doing yard work...I gonna wander into practice tomorrow...just jump in on some snaps....

You might just find yourself in the lineup come Saturday soldier!

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I have no issues with loading up on receivers. After years of futility before Schoen. Demski, and Lawler came to town I will never take receiver recruitment for granted again.

True. We’ve had some really deep camps but you can never have enough wr talent. 
 I’m not worried about us losing any one any time soon or struggling to fill spots. But you never know when some one gets hurt or you find the next schoen. 

Blue Bombers sign Oliver Martin, who caught NFL preseason passes from QB Nathan Rourke
By 3Down Staff -September 12, 2023

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed American receiver Oliver Martin.

The six-foot-one, 200-pound target went unselected in the 2023 NFL Draft but signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars soon thereafter. He made three catches for 17 yards during the preseason and caught a two-point conversion from former CFL quarterback Nathan Rourke.

Martin made 25 catches for 405 yards and two touchdowns over three collegiate seasons at the University of Nebraska (2020-22). He reportedly ran a 4.53-second forty-yard dash at his pro day along with a 41-inch vertical jump and an eleven-foot, two-inch broad jump.

The 24-year-old had previous stints at Michigan and Iowa before transferring to the Cornhuskers. He caught 11 passes for 125 yards and one touchdown with the Wolverines in 2018 before making five catches for 28 yards and one touchdown with the Hawkeyes in 2019.

23 minutes ago, Booch said:

to be honest nothing about that receiver gives me any reason to think he makes this team....

When ever I see a 6’ 6’1 wr who runs a 4.5 or slower I expect an extremely polished guy or a guy who is a really good football player. Like Bailey. It’s a strange fit, I feel like we if any thing could use speed/explosiveness in wr prospects. 
 Though that guy does show some elite leaping ability 41” vert and 11’+ broad jump is a big indicator of a twitchy explosive type. And that type does very well on the big cfl field. The 4.5 is in line with that too. That combination is what you see from elite quick guys who lack the tyreek hill top gear. 
his 10/20 yard splits, shuttle and 3 cone show that twitch change of direction ability. 

That said I don’t see how he could make an impact this year. Idk, wish we were bringing in  safteys, dts, kr, and maybe some global punter/kick off bodies. Like hackett last year. 

I swear that last week people on here were complaining that we weren't bringing in any bodies to restock the shelves and were complaining that we haven't heard from Walters and "what is he even doing???" ...and then we actually bring in a futures prospect and it's "uuuuugh why did we bring this guy in??" 

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I swear that last week people on here were complaining that we weren't bringing in any bodies to restock the shelves and were complaining that we haven't heard from Walters and "what is he even doing???" ...and then we actually bring in a futures prospect and it's "uuuuugh why did we bring this guy in??" 

That was last week, Noels, and this is this week. Keep up. 

42 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Whatever happened to Agudosi?.....this Martin guy seems to be the same type....can't have too many receivers I guess ..(AHEM).....stocking up for next year maybe

I honestly think Agudosi has played himself off the roster. They won't cut him mid season, but I don't expect him back next year unless something dramatic happens.

21 hours ago, GCn20 said:

At this time of year anyone new we bring in is more to look at for next year. Next year could see any or all of Schoen. Bailey, or Demski gone.

Demski signed a 3 year deal this past Feb., he ain't going nowhere.  As for resigning Schoen, it depends on what his goals are, winning a cup this season would sure brighten the odds of retaining him.

someone is going to back a brinks truck up for Roadhouse..... it'll be completely up to him what he wants to do, but I wouldn't blame him one iota if he decided to take a crazy 350k/year (???) deal with some team that's super desperate.... but could absolutely see him being the highest paid non-QB next year. 

24 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I honestly think Agudosi has played himself off the roster. They won't cut him mid season, but I don't expect him back next year unless something dramatic happens.

Until there’s an injury. Let’s face it. He’s the 6th best receiver on this roster, he’s a good player and could be a down field threat which could be useful but he isn’t going to play over the guys we have now. 

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

someone is going to back a brinks truck up for Roadhouse..... it'll be completely up to him what he wants to do, but I wouldn't blame him one iota if he decided to take a crazy 350k/year (???) deal with some team that's super desperate.... but could absolutely see him being the highest paid non-QB next year. 

I wonder who would do something like that... oh wait!

elks-chris-jones-1_270819492-w.jpg?quali