CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

10 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

A sophomore QB with one start under their belt being a difference maker is a huge story. It's bound to have a bearing on the vote.  

thing is tho...Put ZC....The Vaj, Dru Brown....heck even Maier in that spot, and the Argo's record is exactly the same...he wasn't a difference maker by any means

The fact he hasnt really even played full games much of the last bit and they still kept trucking ...right there tells you it's not a team he put on his back and willed them to win

Edited by Booch

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

thing is tho...Put ZC....The Vaj, Dru Brown....heck even Maier in that spot, and the Argo's record is exactly the same...he wasn't a difference maker by any means

The fact he hasnt really even played full games much of the last bit and they still kept trucking ...right there tells you it's not a team he put on his back and willed them to win

I'll give you Zach and VAJ (2 QB's also in the MOP discussion), but Brown and Maier? Come on. You're usually better than that.

Let's say we had to replace Zach with Brown this year, we didn't miss a beat and won more games than we did last year. Wouldn't you expect Brown to be the MOP of the team & likely the league MOP? I would.

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'll give you Zach and VAJ (2 QB's also in the MOP discussion), but Brown and Maier? Come on. You're usually better than that.

Let's say we had to replace Zach with Brown this year, we didn't miss a beat and won more games than we did last year. Wouldn't you expect Brown to be the MOP of the team & likely the league MOP? I would.

Not if he only threw 23 TDs.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

...their returner giving them killer field position all yr, and the fact they played Ham..Ott and MTL a combined what 10..11 times??

...AND that scares the hell out of me considering the way our special teams have played this year, if we meet them in the Cup...I would be working overtime on that part of our game....You can't let that team run wild on you ..... their back's and/or returners have to be kept in check

3 minutes ago, Stickem said:

...AND that scares the hell out of me considering the way our special teams have played this year, if we meet them in the Cup...I would be working overtime on that part of our game....You can't let that team run wild on you ..... their back's and/or returners have to be kept in check

Yeah, our starting field position has been better than our opposition's for 18 straight games. I have no idea how to check if that's ever been done before, but it seems like such an anomaly.

Easy to put all of that on Leake's level of play (and he has been outstanding), but credit has to be shared with having the best kickoff guy (Bede), the two best punters (Bede and Haggerty) and our defence (of course).

As game plans go, it works pretty good.

27 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Not if he only threw 23 TDs.

those other 2 just had to manage the game...which both can...and they would have got the wns

T.O's avg start position for the most part was a 1st down away from points....and I have never seen a team have so many busts against them..especially early in the yr where the WR were wide effin open....for huge gain after huge gain.....It wasn't the QB throwing them open into tight windows by any stretch of the imagination...He wasn't outstanding more than he was basically the ultimate game manager

They took advantage of an early schedule heavy with Ham...Mtl...Ott...CGY  and Sask when 4 of those teams were completely clueless to start the yr...Sask got clueless as the season dragged on....and play a game..get a bye..play 2 games...get a bye....which was a nice perk too...and look at their travel.....for most part they could piss on the away stadiums from their BMO dressing rooms....Played in EDM and CGY  early on...big whippity do....furthest they went after that was here in week 17...and Sask in week 20

Now if that isnt the easiest most pleasant schedule...ever...I dont know what is

Edited by Booch

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

those other 2 just had to manage the game...which both can...and they would have got the wns

T.O's avg start position for the most part was a 1st down away from points....and I ever seen a team have so many bsts against them..especially early in the yr where the WR were wide effin open....for huge gain after huge gain.....It wasn't the QB throwing them open into tight windows by any stretch of the imagination...He wasn't outstanding more than he was basically the ultimate game manager

They took advantage of an early schedule heavy with Ham...Mtl...Ott...CY  and Sask when 4 of those teams were completely clueless to start the yr...Sask got clueless as the season dragged on....and play a game..get a bye..play 2 games...get a bye....which was a nice perk too...and look at their travel.....for most part they could piss on the away stadiums from their BMO dressing rooms....Played in EDM and CGY  early on...big whippity do....furthest they went after that was here in week 17...and Sask in week 20

Now if that isnt the easiest most pleasant schedule...ever...I dont know what is

Chad Kelly is an average QB on a really good team. Nothing wrong with that, and I don't believe he's reached his ceiling, but it would be a farce if he were to win MOP this year based on very pedestrian ability to put the ball in the end zone. He ranks 6th in QB red zone efficiency, and that is one of the gold standards of QB play I look for.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

If Rourke had stayed healthy, he was on pace for about 6000 yards and 50 tds. Hype was at least justified.

For sure. Rourke was sizzling out of the gate last year. Flutie-esque numbers.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Chad Kelly is an average QB on a really good team. Nothing wrong with that, and I don't believe he's reached his ceiling, but it would be a farce if he were to win MOP this year based on very pedestrian ability to put the ball in the end zone. He ranks 6th in QB red zone efficiency, and that is one of the gold standards of QB play I look for.

For sure. Rourke was sizzling out of the gate last year. Flutie-esque numbers.

he also fizzled against the bottom dwellars....didnt do too much sizzling when he played us...His numbers weren't sustainable, but he did have a tremendous start and was better than 90%of QB's that yr...tho isnt saying much

23 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I dont think that is the argument you think it is... both of those teams beat us.

Yeah I know...but if we were to play them 4 times each...we ain't losing 4 times...the losses themselves were more due to unpreparedness and some issues already discussed than our team

What you think t.o record would be if they played us 3 times..and ..BC say 4 times...

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Vernon Adams for MOP...... that sentence should just never be written. Insanity. 

But collaros all star QB,,? ..lol...homer all the way

53 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Stuff like this from Farhan should cause him to lose his voting privileges. 

But won't because the CFL is completely beholden to TSN, even while it's broadcasters were saying that the CFL couldn't survive without the XFL. 

Edited by JCon

For MOP I can only accept Brady or Kelly and as much as people want to rag on Kelly he really did play great all season long.     

I would choose Brady because the combine yardage being over 2000,   being CDN,   was a difference maker in many games... he deserves it.    Vernon Adams had several stinkers and wasn't all that great down the stretch.   No way should he win. 

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

For MOP I can only accept Brady or Kelly and as much as people want to rag on Kelly he really did play great all season long.     

I would choose Brady because the combine yardage being over 2000,   being CDN,   was a difference maker in many games... he deserves it.    Vernon Adams had several stinkers and wasn't all that great down the stretch.   No way should he win. 

Kelly did not play great all year. He played well. Even very good. But I'm not sure you can point to 1 or more games where Kelly made more plays than anyone else on that team. 

Edited by Bigblue204