CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

30 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Will he? Tons of one year wonder qbs in the cfl history. No guarantees Kelly can sustain this play. Especially when his contract will eat into some of his teams depth 

Plus every game he plays gives other teams more video on how to defend him.  

I'm still not convinced he's going to end up 10% better than Fajardo over the next 3 years.  He might, but I'm still underwhelmed.

9 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Plus every game he plays gives other teams more video on how to defend him.  

I'm still not convinced he's going to end up 10% better than Fajardo over the next 3 years.  He might, but I'm still underwhelmed.

I get that someone might want to wait and see before judging this contract. Still early days and all that.

But underwhelmed by his play? I don't know what he'd have to do to make you whelmed. 

55 minutes ago, bluto said:

I get that someone might want to wait and see before judging this contract. Still early days and all that.

But underwhelmed by his play? I don't know what he'd have to do to make you whelmed. 

Show consistency as a passer?  Win games when the team doesn't have every 3rd week off?

He's won 9 games...he's been impressive enough imo. But I'm surprised at the timing and price of the contract. The 1st half of the year was the easiest schedule in the CFL by a mile. Imo the Argos should have let the season play out a bit longer...I mean they HAD to re-sign the guy. But I think they may have been able to save a bit on the contract.

4 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

So, how much of The Chode's salary guaranteed?

If it isn't a lot of guaranteed money, he doesn't live up to his contract or is a bust next year and they just let him go.

That's really the biggest thing with this contract. And I haven't heard anything about any of it being guaranteed...I can't imagine that, I'm sure there's a decent amount coming to him no matter what.

12 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

So, how much of The Chode's salary guaranteed?

If it isn't a lot of guaranteed money, he doesn't live up to his contract or is a bust next year and they just let him go.

His contract says:
$615k in 2024 including $250 signing bonus that he wont receive when he sign in the NFL
$625k in 2025 
$625k in 2026

Edited by M.O.A.B.

2 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

$615k in 2024 including $250 signing bonus
$625k in 2025 
$625k in 2026

The 2024 bonus is an attempt at NFL-proofing the deal.

ie: unless an NFL team offers guaranteed money, the $250k just for showing up at BMO next year is hard to beat.

charlies-angels-drew-barrymore.gif

Edited by bluto

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Will he? Tons of one year wonder qbs in the cfl history. No guarantees Kelly can sustain this play. Especially when his contract will eat into some of his teams depth 

yup...crap shoot....We seen Printers...that other dude in BC who flamed out....Franklin...all world beaters and the next big thing...just evaporate....so kudos to locking him up....but the money amount could have been distributed differently....they basically payig now, for future potential...now will it get realized??...thats the question

7 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

His contract says:
$615k in 2024 including $250 signing bonus that he wont receive when he sign in the NFL
$625k in 2025 
$625k in 2026

Why do I still think that even with this huge salary that the Argos will still sign all their key veterans & have money left over to raid every team's top free agent because we know they'll never be over the cap. One set of rules for them & another for the rest of us. Just business as usual.

Now, what will Dru Brown be asking for as a free agent??? And what if Nathan Rourke comes back? What will he want?? Between giving nearly $300,000 to receivers, $150-225,000 to Canadian OL & now $600,000 to quarterbacks how the hell can teams still function with the salary cap at $5.5 million?? Where's the room with the salary cap to retain key veterans??? The way this league is run kis ridiculous, I tell ya. 

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why do I still think that even with this huge salary that the Argos will still sign all their key veterans & have money left over to raid every team's top free agent because we know they'll never be over the cap. One set of rules for them & another for the rest of us. Just business as usual.

Now, what will Dru Brown be asking for as a free agent??? And what if Nathan Rourke comes back? What will he want?? Between giving nearly $300,000 to receivers, $150-225,000 to Canadian OL & now $600,000 to quarterbacks how the hell can teams still function with the salary cap at $5.5 million?? Where's the room with the salary cap to retain key veterans??? The way this league is run kis ridiculous, I tell ya. 

Rourke won’t be back imo. 
 Brown will get 250-300k imo. If you’re a team with a young un proven qb or journey men he’s an excellent addition to fight for the starting spot in camp and have the other guy back up. Teams like ham ott mtl could jump in on that. Teams like Edmonton maybe ssk could go after him to start for a bit more money.