CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I’d be surprised if more than 4 teams keep their existing QB situation into next season.

Winnipeg and Toronto are for sure.  Everyone else will be looking at improvements including BC depending on how their season ends.

There will be 5-6 teams in the QB market.

Pending health, both BLM and Harris are under contract for next season with guaranteed money and will likely be ready for TC.  Each is the key banner carrier for their brand, so they'll both likely be back excluding a regime change this off-season, in which case almost anything could happen.  

Where do you expect these magical QB replacements to emerge from?  The CFL has been already tested by a lack of QB supply this season, Crum, Powell, Dolegala and Ford have been added to the shallow end of the pool, but there's not enough evidence they can swim well enough to become future starters.  Ideally each receives a couple more years of swimming with life-jackets before being thrown into the deep end.

Edited by Fatty Liver

18 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Pending health, both BLM and Harris are under contract for next season with guaranteed money and will likely be ready for TC.  Each is the key banner carrier for their brand, so they'll both likely be back excluding a regime change this off-season, in which case almost anything could happen.  

Where do you expect these magical QB replacements to emerge from?  The CFL has been already tested by a lack of QB supply this season, Crum, Powell, Dolegala and Ford have been added to the shallow end of the pool, but there's not enough evidence they can swim well enough to become future starters.  Ideally each receives a couple more years of swimming with life-jackets before being thrown into the deep end.

Where did Harris and Mitchell come from this year?

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Where did Harris and Mitchell come from this year?

the recycle bin....

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

So you expect another round of musical chairs with the same old QB's?

if teams were smart....they would not recycle....develop a guy...put all yur effort into that, and offer a mentor positin as the back up, at a reasonable price.....if thats all they have ab=vailable to them, and still want to play, then they will accept it

Would you rather pay Brown $300,000 next year and he's 27 or Harris $500,000 and he'll be 38? If you're Ottawa, do you bank that Masoli can return, go with Crum, who looks meh or roll the dice on Brown? Same with Hamilton, do you continue to pay BLM for past performance or go with a younger player. Honestly Brown looks better than Powell. Same argument with Monteal. I can see 4 potential landing spots for Brown.

On 2023-08-31 at 9:08 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why are all these refs leaving mid season? I thought working together to develop chemistry with all the official's teams was important. Why wouldn't they retire after the season was over?

Foxcroft says it's because the league goes from 6 crews to 5 after this weekend.  He said he felt it was the right for him to leave rather than have a newer ref sent back to USports when they could use the CFL experience.

26 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

So you expect another round of musical chairs with the same old QB's?  I can't see many GM's thinking going into a season without a designated QB is a wise strategy.

I expect those two guys to be gone, Mitchell especially.  Harris might get a backup gig behind one of the young guys somewhere.

A bunch of the younger guys will be on the move.  There's no single contract out there that will stop teams from getting in on the action aside from Collaros and Kelly.  The guaranteed money thing is basically meaningless if the guy can't get it done.  Edmonton will drop Cornelius, Mitchell and Harris will be gone.  Only like 1/3 to 1/4 of one season of their deals is guaranteed.

I expect Hamilton to stick with Powell, but if Calgary cuts Maier, Brown is a free agent.  They'll be in the mix.

Everyone will be in the mix for the guys they want with the younger QB's because the guy they have is on a rookie deal, like Ottawa with both Crum and Adams.  If they want Brown, those two guys don't stop them from making a play for him in free agency.  If they landed him, they'd deal one of the other two.

3 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Foxcroft says it's because the league goes from 6 crews to 5 after this weekend.  He said he felt it was the right for him to leave rather than have a newer ref sent back to USports when they could use the CFL experience.

He says that, but really it’s because he can’t announce calls in the riders favour enthusiastically anymore. 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

He says that, but really it’s because he can’t announce calls in the riders favour enthusiastically anymore. 

While I'm sure that's true, he and his family are actually Ti-Cat fans.  He joked that his dad threatened to fire him from their family business if he ever blew a call against Hamilton.

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

And who knows if Ottawa "thinks" Crum is the future?      

Edmonton will stick with Ford

Hamilton has Powell,  it's a maybe spot for him also.  

Sask - Sticks with Fine or Harris.  

Montreal - Fajardo

I won't doubt if one of these teams signs Brown for a  better salary,  but I can't see them dropping $400 000 and declaring him the starter day one.   

Difficult to tell if Crum is a good enough QB to start in this league. He has so little talent around him that he looks bad even if he is not.

I can't see BLM getting beaucoup money next year even if he's under contract.    That would be insanity to pay him top dollar.     

Harris I can see still getting a decent pay cheque,  his play wasn't bad this year and it's just a case of him getting hurt which isn't a regular thing with him.  

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I can't see BLM getting beaucoup money next year even if he's under contract.    That would be insanity to pay him top dollar.     

Harris I can see still getting a decent pay cheque,  his play wasn't bad this year and it's just a case of him getting hurt which isn't a regular thing with him.  

Harris was doing nothing

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Bo is under contract for next season, he's not going to agree to renegotiate his salary downward and the Ti-Cats are not about to cut him, same goes for Harris in Sask.  Each has had a handful of games to establish themselves on new teams, whether some fans think both their careers are done or not doesn't matter, they've signed legal contracts that define how much they will be paid for playing football next season.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Bo is under contract for next season, he's not going to agree to renegotiate his salary downward and the Ti-Cats are not about to cut him, same goes for Harris in Sask.  Each has had a handful of games to establish themselves on new teams, whether some fans think both their careers are done or not doesn't matter, they've signed legal contracts that define how much they will be paid for playing football next season.

BLM will be released before January 15 when he has a $175,000 roster bonus.  There's 0 guaranteed money in his deal.  They aren't going to pay him $500,000 to play football anymore.  If he wants a chance to play next year it'll be a highly incentive based deal due to his terrible performance this season and inability to win at all.  His QBR this year is 52!  League average even this year is low 90s.  Powell (a guy playing the lowest level of FBS football this time last season, rawest rookie possible) and Shiltz with same crew are around 85.

If he plays next year he'll be waiting his turn to get on the field.  He won't be starting, and he won't be making starters salary.  So maybe the panel will look like a better deal to him.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Harris was doing nothing

3 - 1 with his lone lost to the Bombers and with decent stats.     I don't like the guy much but he definitely if healthy will find work next season and I'm assuming with the Riders again. 

3 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

If I'm a betting man I'd easily put large money that the Ti-Cats will cut BLM and or try to renegotiate his contract.   That's easy money to bet on.     Same thing with Masoli "if" he tries to make a come back. 

15 hours ago, bigg jay said:

While I'm sure that's true, he and his family are actually Ti-Cat fans.  He joked that his dad threatened to fire him from their family business if he ever blew a call against Hamilton.

In that case I hope he does the nature boy strut up the 55 after he blows a call against the Argos on Monday. 

On 2023-09-02 at 6:52 AM, Mark H. said:

Calvillo and Ray both played some good  ball - after they were 'finished.'

You can't compare those 2 qbs to Mitchell. Calvillo didn't have the injuries piling up like Mitchell. He was playing some great football up until he was injured in Regina & had to retire. Mitchell hasn't played well since 2017 or 18 with the serious injuries piling up. Ricky Ray could still play until that big hit he suffered injured his neck & he retired. Mitchell had been hanging on with the Stamps & now the Ti Cats based solely on his past reputation. Not because he's playing like a wily old veteran. I mean, we can all see that he isn't the qb he used to be & it's not even close. You may be right, Maybe he'll get his second wind & guide the Ti Cats to their first Grey Cup. Myself, I think his career is over. Or at least, it should be. 

20 hours ago, Tracker said:

Difficult to tell if Crum is a good enough QB to start in this league. He has so little talent around him that he looks bad even if he is not.

C'mon, they got the massively overpaid Drew Desjarlais. That OL still looks like crap with him in there. Well done, Sean Burke. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47mn23xem4wzdtb1chl1

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They only need 4.  Better for the guys not working to do U Sports and other amateur games to get work in.

Seriously a bunch of people working lines this year were doing high school and Canada Cup games last year.  Very inexperienced.

I know one who worked sticks at McMahon. She is a female football player. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I mean side judge and line judge's with whistles.  Stick crews are all local.

Yes, minor officials who referee do sticks. i did sticks as a parent when both my sons played pee wee & bantam before I coached. It was interesting. Every once in a while We'd lose track of the LOS which made it interesting. Or standing on the sidelines in the middle of the enemy right beside their coaches. It was fun. I don't think I'd want to do a CFL game. That would be intimidating.