Bombers Extend Zach Collaros

Rich

3 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

It would be a shame if Schoen doesn't get multiple invites imo. Goes hard against the 'get some film on tape for a shot at the big show' narrative. What more could we have asked the guy to do?

he may get a sniff...but would e hard pressed to get on a roster if you ask me...he will need to get on somewhere in a situation where he is an immediate impact player/starter...he getting long in tooth to develop for a few yrs...and if he doesnt get offered upfront money..I wouldnt even bother..sign here for 180...200k and that be that

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

he may get a sniff...but would e hard pressed to get on a roster if you ask me...he will need to get on somewhere in a situation where he is an immediate impact player/starter...he getting long in tooth to develop for a few yrs...and if he doesnt get offered upfront money..I wouldnt even bother..sign here for 180...200k and that be that

Won't claim to know more than you, but he might be the quickest learner I've ever seen.

6 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Won't claim to know more than you, but he might be the quickest learner I've ever seen.

it's more age...and politics sadly...he's definitely good enough. But he was a walk on who never saw field for 2 yrs...was undrafted...then had 2 failed tryouts....then did nothing until he found his way here...so the "CFL Refugee" tag too is always a strike...dumb as it is.

There are a boatload of Schoen's coming out of school each yr, higher pedigrees...higher profile...and drafted, many with upfront cash....therein lies the politics part of it...I hope he gets that opportunity and sticks...and doesn't do the bounce around and make no money thing...ala Drew Desjarlais...what is it now 6 weeks of sitting...no cash flow...he could have had a good 5 weeks on a prorated deal up here in his pocket now, and its an easy stretch to say he could have signed a 200k prorated...so thats $11 111 a game he missed out on

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

One thing yiu and I have in common, for sure, is a love of watching old games. I'm not sure I'd watch Argos vs Riders, but I love watching old Bombers games on YouTube or the GC Portal at the league website. Fascinating. 

Fans should watch the old games & see the legends do their thing. Some of those players were good enough to be stars today. A player that really impressed me with his toughness & quickness was Winnipeg native Billy Cooper who played for the Rough Riders. He was athletic, quick & agile. He was a backup receiver but the Rough Riders primary punt returner. Easy to see why. In an era where the punt returners had no blocking... it was 12 to 1, Cooper broke a punt return for 20 some yards. Ottawa receiver Margene Adkins had very good hands & was a burner. 

For Toronto, players that stood out for me were Fullback Bill Symons & QB Tom Wilkinson

2 hours ago, Booch said:

it's more age...and politics sadly...he's definitely good enough. But he was a walk on who never saw field for 2 yrs...was undrafted...then had 2 failed tryouts....then did nothing until he found his way here...so the "CFL Refugee" tag too is always a strike...dumb as it is.

There are a boatload of Schoen's coming out of school each yr, higher pedigrees...higher profile...and drafted, many with upfront cash....therein lies the politics part of it...I hope he gets that opportunity and sticks...and doesn't do the bounce around and make no money thing...ala Drew Desjarlais...what is it now 6 weeks of sitting...no cash flow...he could have had a good 5 weeks on a prorated deal up here in his pocket now, and its an easy stretch to say he could have signed a 200k prorated...so thats $11 111 a game he missed out on

Yep, have to wonder about the advice Desjarlais getting from those around him like his agent, close family & friends.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That’s what we said about Harris. Money is always a factor, Demski isn’t coming back for free. 

That's a total different situation...aging broke down player in downtrend of his career..versus a younger player...hitting his appex with good years still ahead of him...he ain't going anywhere

12 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Because we didn't want Harris back... Demski will get paid fairly and be right where he belongs.

Agreed. But the idea that he is a slam dunk so we should not worry about him and potentially overspend on a Lawler as our first priority is a bit presumptuous, that’s all. Never take negotiations for granted. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Agreed. But the idea that he is a slam dunk so we should not worry about him and potentially overspend on a Lawler as our first priority is a bit presumptuous, that’s all. Never take negotiations for granted. 

You're confusing fan worry with Walters worry.

Walters has a budget and tiers.

I imagine his first thoughts are attempting to lock up Schoen and Demski. He may have his eyes on other CFL FA's, but he's need to deal with in-house guys first.

Just now, Noeller said:

Speaking of Harris, is he out for the year? I thought he was supposed to be back at some point but haven't heard boo about him in months, it feels like..... 

I thought he was done for the year when it happened but at some point a few weeks ago someone reported he was working to get back. Naylor, maybe?

We might see him in play-offs?

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

I thought he was done for the year when it happened but at some point a few weeks ago someone reported he was working to get back. Naylor, maybe?

We might see him in play-offs?

Andrew Harris reasonably healthy and dressing for the Argos in the play offs - could make a huge difference

Esp. if they manage to finish first and he (potentially) only has to play 2 games

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

I'd be a bit concerned about the Bombers facing Harris in the playoffs to be honest. We know what that guy can do when he is pissed off...

Meh. They can grind out a few long drives on his back.

Meanwhile Zach can score from any point of the field.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I'd be a bit concerned about the Bombers facing Harris in the playoffs to be honest. We know what that guy can do when he is pissed off...

Butler, Carey, Stanback, maybe Harris?  Bombers run D has better polish up, because there are some horses on those other teams we could face. This may be the year our offence needs to carry us rather than our defence. 

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Meh. They can grind out a few long drives on his back.

Meanwhile Zach can score from any point of the field.

Except from the sidelines while the other team’s offfence is grinding out the clock and wearing down the D. 

26 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I also have this fear of Toronto in the GC because we've never beaten them in the big game ever (I think that's what Bluto said last year) so I'd prefer to play anyone else, frankly...... I just don't like that stat.

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I also have this fear of Toronto in the GC because we've never beaten them in the big game ever (I think that's what Bluto said last year) so I'd prefer to play anyone else, frankly...... I just don't like that stat.

Yeah go Hamilton,  we have a rich history of winning grey cups at their expense.

51 minutes ago, Noeller said:

O’Shea era they have done a lot streak breaking.